Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

1LE vs. Boss 302

Search this Thread

Old 11/2/13, 11:25 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1LE vs. Boss 302

Ok Road & Track just did a 1LE vs. Boss 302 test . I think this is about a fair a test you going to see on the 2 cars in stock form . The author of the test give his Pros & Con on each car and what it really comes down to is what you like there 2 great cars . Don't want hear any crying about tires ford could have put any type & size tire on the Boss 302 they wanted then they made it . http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-revi...le-motown-mile enjoy .
Old 11/2/13, 01:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I do think this is a pretty accurate and unbiased comparison.
However, they don't mention the poor brake fade of the Boss that every other article talks about.
He is right though... these cars need to lighten up to be even better, not really grow in horsepower.
I like the 1LE... I just do NOT like the camaro.
But hey, at least there's a competitive Boss rival!
I wonder how my G-Forces would hold up compared to the stock tires in this test.
Old 11/2/13, 03:12 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Originally Posted by 300AGT
Don't want hear any crying about tires ford could have put any type & size tire on the Boss 302 they wanted then they made it.
It would still be interesting to see how the Boss would compare to the Camaro 1LE -- and the 2013 GT500 to the Camaro ZL1 -- had the aforementioned Mustangs some parity with their Chevrolet counterparts in terms of tires. While most will chalk superior track times in favor of the Camaro up to its IRS and modern, more rigid chassis -- and for the ZL1, its Magnetic Ride Control -- it is my belief that the sole discrepancy in times are the Mustang's crappy, too-narrow tires.
Old 11/2/13, 04:16 PM
V6 Member

I beat the crap out of 1LE's on the track all summer....
Old 11/2/13, 04:22 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by DGRacing
I beat the crap out of 1LE's on the track all summer....
Not entirely fair as your car is nowhere near stock, and driver mod is always the most important.
Old 11/2/13, 04:56 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Brandon302
Not entirely fair as your car is nowhere near stock, and driver mod is always the most important.
Agreed, but it was still fun doing it!
Old 11/2/13, 05:11 PM
Bullitt Member

No lap times?
Old 11/3/13, 02:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by MARZ
It would still be interesting to see how the Boss would compare to the Camaro 1LE -- and the 2013 GT500 to the Camaro ZL1 -- had the aforementioned Mustangs some parity with their Chevrolet counterparts in terms of tires. While most will chalk superior track times in favor of the Camaro up to its IRS and modern, more rigid chassis -- and for the ZL1, its Magnetic Ride Control -- it is my belief that the sole discrepancy in times are the Mustang's crappy, too-narrow tires.
Yeah, you really can't compare which car is better when the conditions aren't equal.

So OP, the whole "crying" part. It's not crying. The tires aren't adequate for track use like the LE1s are, more so.

I think car for car, they're both great and probably almost equal.
Give them the same tires, brake pads that hold up and then go from there!
Then you can compare the engine, suspension, and total feel.
Hopefully they at least put 91+ octane in them both even if one "can" take 87.
Old 11/3/13, 05:19 AM
GT Member

With a better rim and tire combination on the Boss the edge should go to the Boss . It has lighter weight and more power . Where GM hurt them self is with the weight on the 1LE . Now if you can get pass all the I am a Ford or GM fanboy stuff there two great driving cars . I put 60k miles on my modded 2011 Brembo GT and 10k on my 1LE now. If I had listen to all the Camaro suck talk I would have miss out on a great car . I don't think there a right or wrong car here just pick the one you like go have fun .
Old 11/3/13, 01:58 PM

With a better rim and tire combination on the Boss the edge should go to the Boss . It has lighter weight and more power . Where GM hurt them self is with the weight on the 1LE . Now if you can get pass all the I am a Ford or GM fanboy stuff there two great driving cars . I put 60k miles on my modded 2011 Brembo GT and 10k on my 1LE now. If I had listen to all the Camaro suck talk I would have miss out on a great car . I don't think there a right or wrong car here just pick the one you like go have fun .

I didn't like the enclosed feeling when I sat in a Camaro (did not drive it). But I am a big guy and slightly closterphobic (sp). Just curious if you felt that too?
Old 11/4/13, 06:20 AM
GT Member

I did when i got the mustang coming from a EVO-8 going from the Mustang to the Camaro for me was not a big change to me . But that what great about being able to buy a car now . Ford and GM have made some really good cars you can pick from in 30k to 60k price range just got to find the one that right for you.

I am like the guys in the piece i like my old mustang & my new 1LE but for me it comes down to 2 things a 10 in. wide front rim and a 11 in. wide rim rear that is forged alum stock as 1 .
The TR6060 trans and shifter as 2 .The trans shift every time dose not mater what you are doing you tell it to shift it shift .
Old 11/8/13, 09:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The only Camaro I would own is the Z28, and only if it was under $50K. I remember a guy who had a Boss, read a review and sold his Boss to get a 1LE based on the review. I thought that was so lame. The Boss is more than an option package, and a tenth here or there does not really matter in the real world, or for 99% of the people who track their cars. I plan on keeping my Boss, even though I hate the tranny/shifter, unless something similar in price comes along that is a must have...it would have to be amazing.

As a side note, before the 1LE came out, I went to look at the Camaros on the same day I bought my Boss. They wanted $40K plus, for a year old (new car but one model year older) 2012. I drove it and liked it but did not love it, especially for the price. I got my Boss, a 2013, for like three grand more than they wanted for the Camaro. It was a no brainer for me, and it will have to be a similar no brainer if I ever trade the Boss in.

Dave
Old 11/14/13, 09:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

I did when i got the mustang coming from a EVO-8 going from the Mustang to the Camaro for me was not a big change to me . But that what great about being able to buy a car now . Ford and GM have made some really good cars you can pick from in 30k to 60k price range just got to find the one that right for you.

I am like the guys in the piece i like my old mustang & my new 1LE but for me it comes down to 2 things a 10 in. wide front rim and a 11 in. wide rim rear that is forged alum stock as 1 .
The TR6060 trans and shifter as 2 .The trans shift every time dose not mater what you are doing you tell it to shift it shift .
Originally Posted by Dayve
The only Camaro I would own is the Z28, and only if it was under $50K. I remember a guy who had a Boss, read a review and sold his Boss to get a 1LE based on the review. I thought that was so lame. The Boss is more than an option package, and a tenth here or there does not really matter in the real world, or for 99% of the people who track their cars. I plan on keeping my Boss, even though I hate the tranny/shifter, unless something similar in price comes along that is a must have...it would have to be amazing.

As a side note, before the 1LE came out, I went to look at the Camaros on the same day I bought my Boss. They wanted $40K plus, for a year old (new car but one model year older) 2012. I drove it and liked it but did not love it, especially for the price. I got my Boss, a 2013, for like three grand more than they wanted for the Camaro. It was a no brainer for me, and it will have to be a similar no brainer if I ever trade the Boss in.

Dave
In my opinion... both awesome cars! The 1LE I park next to everyday in my parking garage is sick looking!
Dark Blue with the matte black hood... MASSIVE looking wheels and tires and the brightest red calipers...
Just sick!
That being sad, I like my Boss more... but only because I like my Boss more.
Its such a personal preference that no trash talking should be had. Great cars, reasonable price, both same function! What I'm wondering is... Where's Mopar?

Last edited by Krohn; 11/14/13 at 09:43 AM.
Old 11/14/13, 09:58 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Krohn
In my opinion... both awesome cars! The 1LE I park next to everyday in my parking garage is sick looking! Dark Blue with the matte black hood... MASSIVE looking wheels and tires and the brightest red calipers... Just sick! That being sad, I like my Boss more... but only because I like my Boss more. Its such a personal preference that no trash talking should be had. Great cars, reasonable price, both same function! What I'm wondering is... Where's Mopar?
This is exactly what I have wondered. The challenger is beautiful but just can't run with the big dogs.
Old 11/14/13, 10:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Mr. V
This is exactly what I have wondered. The challenger is beautiful but just can't run with the big dogs.
It can't... especially in this field! I'd love to see them do something though. I've always liked what Mopar puts out... usually more flashy and more over the top than needed, but still cool looking! lol
Old 11/14/13, 11:25 AM
Bullitt Member

I kinda feel like the reviewer didn't take a stance one way or another...it was more like he was trying to make a point about these Muscle cars being so close to greatness only to miss it because they are too heavy and cumbersome and should be more like a Lotus. I can't say I disagree with the option that less can be more...as long as the spirit of the muscle car is retained. It's a hard balance to strike for sure.