2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Will there be a 2015 Shelby GT500?

Search this Thread

Old 8/4/12, 02:02 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by heylilcobra
what i mean you will not see a svt cobra or a shelby gt500 in 2015.my bet early 2016 which will be a 2017 model
I hope your wrong but probably right. Ford is pretty good at rolling out something new every model year. Personally I think they should just carry over the 2013 gt500 drivetrain... I think squeezing more power out if pointless. Beef up the new IRS and you have the new Gen gt500/cobra
Old 8/4/12, 02:04 PM
Cobra R Member

i think you will see the return of the name king cobra.
I hope not "king cobra " reminds me of the mustang II days. Call it an svt cobra or gt500 and I'll be fine with it
Old 8/4/12, 02:15 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
SVT vs' Shelby is more a matter of taste I think. Some people (like me) just don't like all the extra Shelby styling that makes it a Shelby. The SVT cobra had a few different additions to it over the GT but the changes were done a lot more tastefully IMO. The Shelby body panels and trimmings are just overdone and gaudy IMO. There is no mistaking the Shelby unless it's a kit. I personally think saleen did a better job with the body kits.
Old 8/4/12, 02:22 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
SVT vs' Shelby is more a matter of taste I think. Some people (like me) just don't like all the extra Shelby styling that makes it a Shelby. The SVT cobra had a few different additions to it over the GT but the changes were done a lot more tastefully IMO. The Shelby body panels and trimmings are just overdone and gaudy IMO. There is no mistaking the Shelby unless it's a kit. I personally think saleen did a better job with the body kits.
More "cheaply" you mean. Do I think Shelby America over does it? Yes, but Ford doesn't do enough as I point to my 50k mustang with the same interior as a V6.
Old 8/4/12, 02:28 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500

More "cheaply" you mean. Do I think Shelby America over does it? Yes, but Ford doesn't do enough as I point to my 50k mustang with the same interior as a V6.
I'm with you on that. Change the seat covers and floor mats. Get a fake signature on the glove box maybe. Lol. They do cheap out on interior. And again it's just personal preference. Some Shelby pieces I like. Some I absolutely hate. More I hate. Lol. One thing for certain though, everybody wants that SVT motor. Hell I want the Shelby motor. I've said it before, my next one might be a Shelby and I'll probably trade body parts to someone with a gt.
Old 8/4/12, 02:57 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT
I hope not "king cobra " reminds me of the mustang II days. Call it an svt cobra or gt500 and I'll be fine with it
trying to remember where i seen it but it was in reference to ford going and filing some kind of license to use the name king cobra.again.
Old 8/4/12, 06:59 PM
GT Member

Look at the sales numbers... the 2003 cobra outsold the gt500 in many model years... like 13000 to 5000. Numbers don't lie but I do think Ford makes more profit on the gt500
The '07 was a limited production car... Why are you such a hater towards Shelby? You know he was good guy. You know he changed the performance car game. So what if he made money just because his name is on it; you know that at least 80% is made it to charity. The Mustang should ALWAYS have a model with the Shelby name on it. Because you know for SURE that it will be the top dog, performance-wise and value-wise.

Last edited by Five.Point.Oh; 8/4/12 at 07:00 PM.
Old 8/4/12, 08:04 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Five.Point.Oh
The '07 was a limited production car... Why are you such a hater towards Shelby? You know he was good guy. You know he changed the performance car game. So what if he made money just because his name is on it; you know that at least 80% is made it to charity. The Mustang should ALWAYS have a model with the Shelby name on it. Because you know for SURE that it will be the top dog, performance-wise and value-wise.
Last time I checked the SVT Cobra was also a limited production car, along with anything else with an SVT badge... Focus, Lightning ... Limited production just like the GT500. I'm not necessarily a hater towards Shelby. Overall he seemed like a good guy but I think he screwed over many of his own fans with the whole Shelby Mustang registry thing. With the new GT500 he has no real input so I disagree with having his name on the car. I'm not trying to get into another Cobra vs Shelby war. I do understand that more people prefer the Shelby name over the Cobra name, Ford sees this as a great marketing tool, so I understand Ford keeping his name on the car . Will "Shelby GT500" on the 2007-13 SVT Mustangs keep me from buying one, HELL NO, but like someone earlier posted SVT Cobra has more reccognition to me than does Shelby... I wasn't around when he made his best cars, just crappy Dodge compacts and an overpriced exotic with an Oldsmobile engine.
Old 8/4/12, 09:01 PM
V6 Member

Last time I checked the SVT Cobra was also a limited production car, along with anything else with an SVT badge... Focus, Lightning ... Limited production just like the GT500. I'm not necessarily a hater towards Shelby. Overall he seemed like a good guy but I think he screwed over many of his own fans with the whole Shelby Mustang registry thing. With the new GT500 he has no real input so I disagree with having his name on the car. I'm not trying to get into another Cobra vs Shelby war. I do understand that more people prefer the Shelby name over the Cobra name, Ford sees this as a great marketing tool, so I understand Ford keeping his name on the car . Will "Shelby GT500" on the 2007-13 SVT Mustangs keep me from buying one, HELL NO, but like someone earlier posted SVT Cobra has more reccognition to me than does Shelby... I wasn't around when he made his best cars, just crappy Dodge compacts and an overpriced exotic with an Oldsmobile engine.
the only problem svt has been limited for 20 years now. besides the last time i checked my gt500 has svt markings all over it.even my kr . i think people are kidding themselves to think that 07 and up would be at a cheaper price if it did not have the shelby name on it.of course if not for shelby there would be no kr ,no gt350 ,no supersnake, no shelby gt,no shelby gts ,no gt1000,
Old 8/4/12, 09:17 PM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Id personally rather see SVT back on the nameplates. Yes Shelby changed the automotive world but his time has passed. Maybe one last commemorative edition but fter that SVT should take full control. But im a 90's baby so i grew up seeing SVT Cobras all over. And te 03-04 cobra is my all time favorite Mustang behind the 69-70 models. Just my .02
Old 8/4/12, 09:31 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CCTking
Id personally rather see SVT back on the nameplates. Yes Shelby changed the automotive world but his time has passed. Maybe one last commemorative edition but fter that SVT should take full control. But im a 90's baby so i grew up seeing SVT Cobras all over. And te 03-04 cobra is my all time favorite Mustang behind the 69-70 models. Just my .02
Then you might not know why they used the cobra badge. Because ford knew the cobra already had a built in history thanks to Mr. Shelby. May he rest in peace.

Last edited by 11SHELBYGT500; 8/4/12 at 09:47 PM.
Old 8/4/12, 10:37 PM
Cobra R Member

the only problem svt has been limited for 20 years now. besides the last time i checked my gt500 has svt markings all over it.even my kr . i think people are kidding themselves to think that 07 and up would be at a cheaper price if it did not have the shelby name on it.of course if not for shelby there would be no kr ,no gt350 ,no supersnake, no shelby gt,no shelby gts ,no gt1000,
The only reason why I mentioned that the SVT Cobra as "limited production" was in response to Five_Point_Oh insinuating that the 07 GT500 was limited production but the previous SVT Mustangs were not. In truth, SVT has been around for 20 years but skipped production for many years and the cars they do produce are in much fewer numbers than their mainstream siblings.

I think Shelby's name did bring the cost up back in 2007 when people actually thought that the GT500 was a limited production car but not so much now... I still remember people paying 25k ADMs in the Summer of 06, then again people were paying ADMs on GTs back in 05 too. I think the only real collectible modern Shelbys will be the new GT350 (not a fan of it's looks or pricing) and the Shelby GT500KR, also overpriced but IMO the best looking of the new Shelbys.

Last edited by 97GT03SVT; 8/4/12 at 10:41 PM.
Old 8/4/12, 10:42 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 588 Likes on 422 Posts
In truth, SVT has been around for 20 years but skipped production for many years and the cars they do produce are in much fewer numbers than their mainstream siblings.
How many years since the inception in '93 did SVT not produce any vehicles?
Old 8/4/12, 10:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only reason Ford can use the Cobra name is because Shelby was lax in registering the name as a trade mark. Shelby used the name cobra in 62, or 63 the only thing Ford had to do with those cars was supplying the engine. Shelby got smart after that screw up he registered every name he could think of and some like King of the Road he didn't think of. Shelby was the real deal SVT means nothing next year it could be SVG and hardly anybody would notice.
Old 8/4/12, 10:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
I don't think it's the actual body kits that are overdone, it's the striping that really makes it stick out.

I've told my wife several times that I would like to order a Shelby GT500 (several of our friends have them) but I would do a stripe delete (top and sides), as well as have them leave off the raised chrome "Shelby" off the back end. Take those away and suddenly the car doesn't look nearly as overdone and gaudy.

My current dream Shelby would be a 2013 with stripe delete and raised lettering removed, painted in the 2012 Kona Blue, with the paint twice as thick as Ford does it and color sanded until all orange peel was removed and it had a perfect mirror finish. The only downside would be that I would be afraid to drive it for fear of hurting the paint.

Last edited by Moustang; 8/4/12 at 10:54 PM.
Old 8/4/12, 10:55 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
How many years since the inception in '93 did SVT not produce any vehicles?
2000 (except for the very small number of R models produced)
2002, 2005-06

ok, I wouldn't say several but they don't make them every year lol
Old 8/4/12, 10:59 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 908ssp
The only reason Ford can use the Cobra name is because Shelby was lax in registering the name as a trade mark. Shelby used the name cobra in 62, or 63 the only thing Ford had to do with those cars was supplying the engine. Shelby got smart after that screw up he registered every name he could think of and some like King of the Road he didn't think of. Shelby was the real deal SVT means nothing next year it could be SVG and hardly anybody would notice.
People who are willing to spend the extra money on the top end Mustang would know the difference. People were happily buying SVT Cobras from 1993-04. Shelby's name is not the only name in Ford performance. It is not like the GT500 sales figures are much different than the SVT Cobra. The people who actually engineer the car work for SVT, shouldn't they be given some credit for their work! SVT is the real deal because they are actually making the cars...

Other manufacturers give credit to the TEAM of engineers that help create performance cars. (BMW's M brand, Mercedes AMG, Chrysler's SRT). They are the real deal, aren't they?

Last edited by 97GT03SVT; 8/4/12 at 11:04 PM.
Old 8/4/12, 11:00 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

2000 (except for the very small number of R models produced)
2002, 2005-06

ok, I wouldn't say several but they don't make them every year lol
Just curious. I couldn't really recall for sure, but you said SVT skipped production for many years. And didn't they make Lightnings and Focus in '00 and '02?

Last edited by Rather B.Blown; 8/4/12 at 11:04 PM.
Old 8/4/12, 11:11 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
Just curious. I couldn't really recall for sure, but you said SVT skipped production for many years. And didn't they make Lightnings and Focus in '00 and '02?
I think the only years SVT did not produce an SVT badged vehicle was from 2005-06, but they did develop the Ford GT super car. So in a way they never completely went away. The Lightning and Focus were produced those years ans ceased in 2005 like the Cobra.

Last edited by 97GT03SVT; 8/4/12 at 11:12 PM.
Old 8/4/12, 11:21 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

I think the only years SVT did not produce an SVT badged vehicle was from 2005-06, but they did develop the Ford GT super car. So in a way they never completely went away. The Lightning and Focus were produced those years ans ceased in 2005 like the Cobra.
So you might want to retract that statement that SVT skipped production for many years. After some Googling and the unreliability of Wikipedia, it looks like they made close to 145,000 SVT badged vehicles , not counting the GT500, Ford GT, or even the Raptor. How does that compare to the number of Shelby badged GT500 Mustangs that SVT lovers / Shelby haters are arguing to be much more plentiful than vehicles that were sold as SVT without the Shelby name?

Just playing devil's advocate and trying to stir the pot a bit. Love to see people get fired up and passionate with their Shelby love and Shelby hate. Makes for good reading.

Quick Reply: Will there be a 2015 Shelby GT500?