2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Will the 2015 IRS have wheel hop

Search this Thread

Old 5/21/14, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will the 2015 IRS have wheel hop

The Cobra Mustangs of the past with the IRS had terrible wheel hop.. I sure hope this doesn't happen again
Old 5/21/14, 07:31 PM
Cobra Member

In the line-lock video, there has been zero wheel hop. Hope that is what we see from the factory produced cars. I feel confident it will.
Old 5/21/14, 08:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 2snake
The Cobra Mustangs of the past with the IRS had terrible wheel hop.. I sure hope this doesn't happen again
That was a reverse-engineered bolt-in configuration in a chassis that was less rigid than what the new one will be. In addition, the big power of the supercharged engine was a contributing factor.

The new car had IRS designed in from the start, and the technology to design and engineer the unibody is vastly different than what was done for the previous generation.

It would be surprising if there was this behavior on the new car.
Old 5/22/14, 03:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let it be known that a lot of people her at TMS has complained about terrible wheel hop with the current generation Mustang that has a SRA. In my opinion wheel hop is more a function on how the car was engineered than whether it has IRS or SRA. Also if you increase the engine power via aftermarket there is a chance you can reach the limit of what the stock rear suspension can handle. That is why is always good advice to upgrade the suspension components first and then go ahead install your turbo or supercharger.
Old 5/22/14, 09:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

As I understand it the improved geometry that results in less squat and dive has a similar effect in reverse on the wheels being able to rebound off the pavement under torque stress. Maybe a suspension expert can clarify.
Old 5/22/14, 11:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
My lord. I cannot believe this is a thread. Seriously? And your second post?
Old 5/22/14, 01:03 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
That was a reverse-engineered bolt-in configuration in a chassis that was less rigid than what the new one will be. In addition, the big power of the supercharged engine was a contributing factor.

The new car had IRS designed in from the start, and the technology to design and engineer the unibody is vastly different than what was done for the previous generation.

It would be surprising if there was this behavior on the new car.
Disclaimer as someone with pretty limited mechanical knowledge of cars, this is my understanding, that the 2003/2004 IRS in the cobra was just kind of shoehorned in there this 2015 has been engineered and tested from day 1 to use it.
Old 5/22/14, 01:09 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Fox9350
this 2015 has been engineered and tested from day 1 to use it.
So are the Camaro and Challenger. And they both have wheel hop issues with their IRS.
Old 5/22/14, 01:21 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
So are the Camaro and Challenger. And they both have wheel hop issues with their IRS.
It may have some wheel hop issues just like anything with IRS. Or just a lot of spin and fishtailing. But all of these issues can be easily resolved with better tires or a little aftermarket suspension work. We really won't know till they come out and the drag racers start putting it to the test. It very well may work beautifully right out of the box. Everything else is just speculation. We know for sure that it will really handle in the curves though. If you have doubts, just wait and see what others are posting. As of now, none of you have the answers and there's no point in this thread.
Old 5/22/14, 02:07 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
As of now, none of you have the answers and there's no point in this thread.
Hey - TMS is slow enough as it is these days. You should be encouraging more speculation.

Old 5/22/14, 03:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

It may have some wheel hop issues just like anything with IRS. Or just a lot of spin and fishtailing. But all of these issues can be easily resolved with better tires or a little aftermarket suspension work. We really won't know till they come out and the drag racers start putting it to the test. It very well may work beautifully right out of the box. Everything else is just speculation. We know for sure that it will really handle in the curves though. If you have doubts, just wait and see what others are posting. As of now, none of you have the answers and there's no point in this thread.
This.
Old 5/22/14, 06:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
As of now, none of you have the answers and there's no point in this thread.
So why ya posting in it?
Old 5/22/14, 08:06 PM

If that line lock video is any indication, it's as steady as a surgeons hands. Both IRS (the one cobbled together exercise) and stick axle Stangs have suffered from the green light jitterbug, so I don't think IRSs are necessarily prone to this.
Old 5/23/14, 05:50 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Us wheelhop sufferers will attest that even the hip-hoppin'est Mustangs can be made to smoothly spin the tires with the right set of conditions/technique (unfortunately, those moments are rare).

The line lock demonstrations look promising and I'd like to think that they wouldn't provide a feature that would put owners directly at risk for wheelhop related driveline thrashing/breakage...but dumber things have gotten through.

In other news, the staggered leaf spring suspended/live axle in my 40 year old Mopar A-Body has never wheelhopped. Go figure.

Last edited by MRGTX; 5/23/14 at 05:51 AM.
Old 5/23/14, 06:38 AM
V6 Member

I heard that it won't only have wheel hop, the car will explode when trying to do a burnout...
Old 5/23/14, 07:31 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
So why ya posting in it?
Postwhoring. Duh.
Old 5/23/14, 10:36 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Postwhoring. Duh.
This.
Old 5/23/14, 05:46 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by MRGTX
Us wheelhop sufferers will attest that even the hip-hoppin'est Mustangs can be made to smoothly spin the tires with the right set of conditions/technique (unfortunately, those moments are rare).

The line lock demonstrations look promising and I'd like to think that they wouldn't provide a feature that would put owners directly at risk for wheelhop related driveline thrashing/breakage...but dumber things have gotten through.

In other news, the staggered leaf spring suspended/live axle in my 40 year old Mopar A-Body has never wheelhopped. Go figure.
on mine (06) dropping tire pressure even a little made hop go away with the Pirellis, never did it with the 255/45-18s at full or reduced pressures(changing pressures on the wider tires also had little effect on 60' times?) listen at about 25 seconds in the video below, thats about the closest to 'wheel hop' as Ive had with the 255s...

yeah, I know that was a sloppy spinning on the limiter launch, but had kids in the back seat, its more fun with screeching tires ya know
Old 5/23/14, 07:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
Yep and the Srt8 chally I had took more than just basic suspension mods to get rid of it. At least with the manual trans anyway, the autos were much easier because the converter absorbed a lot of it.
Old 1/4/15, 08:09 AM

Now that the cars are released has anyone had any issues with wheel hop

Quick Reply: Will the 2015 IRS have wheel hop