2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

What do you think about the new 911 system?

Search this Thread

Old 7/1/14, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great option to have available, but I think there should be a full defeat/ opt out capability.
Old 7/1/14, 06:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This destroys any interest I might have in a '15 Mustang or any other new Ford that has this system unless it can be removed cost effectively.
Old 7/1/14, 10:51 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Quit cryin'
You can you choose to not use 911 assist.

You can still dial 911 yourself ... if you can reach your phone with your bloody stump.
No worry.
Old 7/1/14, 11:02 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lmao^^
Old 7/2/14, 06:01 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Boomer
Quit cryin'
You can you choose to not use 911 assist.

You can still dial 911 yourself ... if you can reach your phone with your bloody stump.
No worry.
Yeah the current system asks you if you want to enable this feature when you first pair your phone. You don't even have to go searching in menus to find it. I would hope that doesn't change with the new system.
Old 7/2/14, 06:18 AM
Bullitt Member

I'm actually amazed this isn't mandated by insurance companies. You know all those crazy Russian dash cam videos? It's because you can't get insurance there without one. Just waiting until the US companies figure out the cost benefit of being able to deny claims because someone was speeding or something.
Old 7/2/14, 06:25 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Von Bek
I'm actually amazed this isn't mandated by insurance companies. You know all those crazy Russian dash cam videos? It's because you can't get insurance there without one. Just waiting until the US companies figure out the cost benefit of being able to deny claims because someone was speeding or something.
They wouldn't deny a claim. They would pay out and simply raise your premium. Then if you did it enough they wouldn't renew your policy.
Old 7/2/14, 06:29 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

What if all the new cars with camera's are recording the last 20 seconds to the black box.

Have at that one conspiracy theorists
Old 7/2/14, 08:55 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There are so many dirt bags out there that make false insurance claims or are not truthful in cases of accidents or what not. So unless you like to speed a lot or drive reckless I don't see the problem with this new technology. My company does a lot of insurance work so I benefit from some of these dirt bags and their false claims but that is a different story. Hehe
Old 7/4/14, 06:08 PM
Bullitt Member

The only safety equipment I need is a roll cage
Old 7/4/14, 08:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Reading this thread... it sounds like the naysayers are worried about being prosecuted because they are already doing wrong, and don't want to get caught.

Deny that if you want, but go read it again, pretend you didn't care and see what it looks like to you.

I know it's a bad argument to say "well, don't do anything wrong, you don't have anything to worry about" when it comes to this sort of thing, but truly, if you weren't doing anything wrong, this is a good system. Even if you WERE doing something wrong, it's still a good system, because of the ability to get 911 called while you're unconscious. Time is everything in some accidents.

And if you were doing wrong? Well... sucks to be you. Wrecked, hospitalized, AND prosecuted.

The police don't need the black box except for speed. Which they can get from forensics. It is a non-worry factor, overall, except for the conspiracy theorists and privacy worriers.

You don't want to be snooped? Why are you on the internet, and having a smart phone then?
Old 7/5/14, 10:06 AM
GT Member

From what I read, it was because 90% of the Russian police force is corrupt and they have to use it to keep from getting forced into paying bribes. Hmmmm....sounds like what is going on here in the states now, but with heavy badged cops throwing their weight around.
Anyone see the viral truck driver video this past week? LOL! PO-PO changed his tune real fast when he found out he was on candid camera!

As far as your privacy (for the tin foil hat wearers) didn't the USSC verify you have a right to privacy only in your home or dwelling? And keep in mind, driving is a privilege, not a right. One bad drivers stunt caused a 4 car pile up because she was impatient to get in the back of the line for an exit off the interstate. So she came flying up past traffic and merged at the last possible second behind me. Driver behind her did not have time to react at the speed we were traveling and slammed into her. Chain reaction causing my pristine '95 GT to get totaled out.
Now if she knew big brother was watching her drive like a maniac, would it have changed her habits? No idea. I love the opportunity to go fast on occasion too, but at 7:30 am when traffic is flowing at 60 through a work zone and some jackass has to come through at 80-85 MPH, I cheer on the highway patrol when I see the blue lights come on.
Old 7/7/14, 09:24 AM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My Russian co-worker said the primary reason for those cameras is fraud. You can watch videos on YouTube where pedestrians walk up to a stopped car and throw themselves on the car, in order to claim they were hit. It is hilarious to watch.
Old 7/7/14, 12:39 PM
V6 Member

I am a firefighter/paramedic and this is what I do day in and day out. Ask yourself this. If your son/daughter/wife/mother/girlfriend or what have you was driving your car and got into an accident or maybe a single car accident (drove off the road and out of public view) and was unconscious and bleeding out would you like them to stay bleeding in a ditch and possibly bleed out and die or be found because your car dialed 911 for them?

I know this is a dead serious image/thought but it is what it is. I have been driving high performance mustangs for 30 years and my new 15 will be my 13'th mustang. I love having fun and messing around on the streets but I also live life and my family's life and welcome the technology.
Old 7/7/14, 03:20 PM
GT Member

Good point jmeo. We had a local situation where an elderly woman disappeared one day. When the winter came and the over grown foliage along the road died off, they found where she drove off the road and died slowly over several days. Only 15 feet from the edge of the roadside down into a creek.
Old 7/8/14, 07:50 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I am all PRO for whatever keeps my insurance rates down.

besides. you still have options. I don't know for sure, but like the 2014 models, can't your turn the 911 assist feature off??

OR

If you feel the need to drive like a complete you know what, where you want to speed to the point where you think you might be a risk to yourself, turn Bluetooth off on your phone, it will disconnect itself from the car.
Old 7/9/14, 07:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Just another example of TMI and people unwilling to take responsibility for their own actions. I've been driving for 43 years and closing in on 2 million miles and have avoided many accidents by paying attention to my surroundings. Most accidents have witnesses and generate numerous 911 calls. The random single vehicle crash, while becoming more common due to cell phones and texting, is still rare. It goes back to my assertion that you should be paying attention while driving. The really scary thing about this "safety" item is the doors it opens up. It reports your speed...why is that needed? Police will use it to ticket/arrest you. Other parties in the accident could sue you, even if you were not at fault in the accident. And, yes insurance companies could deny your repair claim stating that you were performing a illegal act at the time. It's scary how things get pushed through as a "safety" issue and people are willing to accept them because who among us is against safety, right?

Last edited by goldhillstang; 7/9/14 at 08:02 AM.
Old 7/9/14, 10:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Jmeo
I am a firefighter/paramedic and this is what I do day in and day out. Ask yourself this. If your son/daughter/wife/mother/girlfriend or what have you was driving your car and got into an accident or maybe a single car accident (drove off the road and out of public view) and was unconscious and bleeding out would you like them to stay bleeding in a ditch and possibly bleed out and die or be found because your car dialed 911 for them?

I know this is a dead serious image/thought but it is what it is. I have been driving high performance mustangs for 30 years and my new 15 will be my 13'th mustang. I love having fun and messing around on the streets but I also live life and my family's life and welcome the technology.
that's just 1 scenario, it's like me saying, what if your son/daughter/wife/mother, or someone you cared about...was involved in an accident in which they were not at fault. The 911 system tells police this person you care so much about was going 8 mph over the speed limit and swerved. The cops accuse you of drunk driving and reckless speeding. They arrest you take you to jail and suspend your license.

Last edited by Will3212; 7/9/14 at 10:45 AM.
Old 7/9/14, 10:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Jmeo

I am a Captain in the FDNY. While it is nice that the car dials 911 if the car is involved in an accident, all the extra info is irrelevant. Just more info that some stupid insurance company or lawyer will use against the driver later on.