2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

What do you think about the new 911 system?

Search this Thread

Old 7/1/14, 08:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you think about the new 911 system?

http://www.torquenews.com/106/2015-f...when-you-crash

The system is linked to your smart phone and tells first responders how you crashed. I'm fine with that, however, the system also tells them how fast you were going and weather or not you had your seat belts on. The police can use this against you in a court of law. For example....you were going 70mph on the freeway which has a 55mph speed limit and you weren't wearing your seat belt. The police can suspend your license, arrest you for reckless driving, issue you hefty fines, etc. I believe it can even tell cops how fast you swerved before you crashed, so the cops can accuse you of drunk driving. How do you feel about this new sync 911 system in the 2015s?

Last edited by Will3212; 7/1/14 at 08:32 AM.
Old 7/1/14, 08:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
too much info.
I don't like the event data recorder in my 2011 either.
Old 7/1/14, 08:17 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think this is great and all cars should be equipped with this technology. Too many dumb drivers on the road. This can be a good deterrent as well. Very simple, follow the road laws and you don't have to worry.

Last edited by SONICBOOST; 7/1/14 at 08:20 AM.
Old 7/1/14, 08:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SONICBOOST
I think this is great and all cars should be equipped with this technology. Too many dumb drivers on the road. This can be a good deterrent as well. Very simple, follow the law and you don't have to worry.
I really don't want big brother in the car with me. Data can be used against you if you are 5 mph over the limit. I am not a fan of big government and this is just an extension of that. Maybe we should let them install some sensors and cameras in our homes too so they can make sure we are following the laws. You could be the first one. You surely don't have to worry as you are a law abiding citizen. Privacy be damned it's for the greater good of society.
Old 7/1/14, 08:28 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by 88lx50
I really don't want big brother in the car with me. Data can be used against you if you are 5 mph over the limit. I am not a fan of big government and this is just an extension of that. Maybe we should let them install some sensors and cameras in our homes too so they can make sure we are following the laws. You could be the first one. You surely don't have to worry as you are a law abiding citizen. Privacy be damned it's for the greater good of society.
I did edit my post to say follow the road laws versus follow the law lol. I could see it being a burden on some but overall I think it could be a good thing.
Old 7/1/14, 08:54 AM
Bullitt Member

While they're at it.... the government can install a tracking chip under the skin of everyone's left hand to prevent crime. It's ok we're all law abiding.
Old 7/1/14, 10:13 AM

911 Assist

I hadn't seen anything on this posted over here, if I missed it with my search somehow, I apologize.

http://www.torquenews.com/106/2015-f...when-you-crash

The 2015 Ford Mustang will be equipped with the next generation Sync system which includes the new 911 Assist system that will help first responders know a great deal of information about the collision before they get there – but it will also essentially alert the police if you were driving at an excessively high rate of speed at the time of the accident.

In an effort to make the 2015 Ford Mustang safer in the event of an accident, the next generation pony car will be equipped with Ford’s newest Sync system with 911 Assist. In the event of an accident, this system will work with your Smartphone to call 911 and report the accident via an automated system. Upon answering, the 911 operator will be told that a crash has occurred in a Ford vehicle and the operator will quickly learn what type of crash (head, rear, side impact) and whether or not there was a rollover as a result of the accident. The system will also tell the 911 operator how many impacts were detected, the maximum speed change, whether or not airbags were deployed and how many people were buckled in at the time of the accident.

Greater Information Allows First Responders to be Better Prepared

The biggest advantage of the new Sync 911 Assist system that will be standard in the 2015 Ford Mustang (and many more Ford vehicles in the near future) is that the information given to the 911 operator allows for more information to be given to the first responders who are headed to the site of the crash. When 911 gets a call from a passerby who witnessed an accident, they may not be able to tell the EMTs, police and firefighters headed to the crash how many people are involved or how severe of an impact is involved. They wouldn’t know whether the Mustang was involved in a high speed head on collision with four people in the car or if it was simply a fender bender at low speed rush hour traffic. However, that will all change with the new Ford 911 Assist system.

For example, say that the automated system tells the 911 operator that it was a head on collision with a rollover with 70 miles per hour of speed change which caused the airbag systems of the 2015 Mustang to engage and there were four seat belts buckled at the time of the accident. The EMTs and police headed to the scene know that this is a serious accident with at least four people involved so before they get there, they have a good idea of just how bad the situation could be. This would allow them to notify backup to stay on standby just in case the crash scene requires the help of additional EMTs, police or firefighters.

The Downside is More Incriminating Evidence to the Police

The only real downside to this new 911 Assist system in the 2015 Ford Mustang is that the police arriving on the scene will already know whether you were breaking any laws. For instance, say that you were not wearing your seatbelt at the time of a low speed impact. You may not be injured, so the fact that you didn’t have your seatbelt on may not come to the surface when the cops arrive. However, the 2015 Mustang will tell the 911 operator that there were no seatbelts buckled at the time of the accident and that bit of information gives the police a way to ticket you as a result.

Along those same lines, the “maximum speed change” figure could also play a part in helping the cops hit you with a speeding ticket after crashing your 2015 Ford Mustang. Say that you were traveling 50 miles per hour in a 35 zone and as you swerve to avoid a deer that runs across the road, you hit a tree. Your maximum speed change would conceivably be 50 miles per hour – even though you were only supposed to be going 35 miles per hour. This could provide the police with evidence that they can use against you in determining the fault of the accident and maybe even issuing a speeding ticket.

In the long run, the advantages to first responders will help to keep the drivers and passengers of the 2015 Ford Mustang safer in the event of an accident – but it will be interesting to see if any of that information does end up being used by the police to issue tickets after the fact. Many vehicles have “black box technology” that provides a great deal of information to the authorities in the event of an accident, but the 911 Assist system takes the timing of that information to a level that could play a big role in ticketing owners after a crash.
Old 7/1/14, 10:35 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have my tinfoil hat somewhere.
Old 7/1/14, 10:39 AM
Banned

This system is not really a helpful tool for 911. Here's why. It's going to use an automated call to tell 911 that a Mustang has been in a crash, where it was at and how many people were in the car at the time of the crash. Here's what it doesn't do.

When you call 911 to report a car wreck they are going to ask you the following.

How many total vehicles are involved in the wreck?
Is anyone injured? (very important)
Is anyone trapped? (also very important)
Is there any hazardous material like gasoline or coolant leaking?
Are any of the vehicles on fire?

If anyone is injured most 911 centers will then give callers on the scene crucial first aid or even life saving information to help injured patients until responders arrive.

If one or more cars involved in the accident leaves the scene before responders arrive is your Mustang going to call in the tag and vehicle description and which way the vehicle went?

If someone was ejected, run over or hit by a crash vehicle that's pretty important to know too.

This 911 assist thing just seems like yet another gimmick in a modern vehicle to me. There is great deal of information that is needed when you call in a wreck that this automated phone call just can't give.

Last edited by White2010; 7/1/14 at 11:06 AM.
Old 7/1/14, 10:40 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Someone already posted this.
Old 7/1/14, 10:46 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Merged threads . . .
Old 7/1/14, 11:02 AM

Dangit! How come I didn't see this one! I even used "911 assist" as a search method. Sorry all.
Old 7/1/14, 11:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by rmurer
I have my tinfoil hat somewhere.
lol!
Old 7/1/14, 11:30 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by White2010
This system is not really a helpful tool for 911. Here's why. It's going to use an automated call to tell 911 that a Mustang has been in a crash, where it was at and how many people were in the car at the time of the crash. Here's what it doesn't do.

When you call 911 to report a car wreck they are going to ask you the following.

How many total vehicles are involved in the wreck?
Is anyone injured? (very important)
Is anyone trapped? (also very important)
Is there any hazardous material like gasoline or coolant leaking?
Are any of the vehicles on fire?

If anyone is injured most 911 centers will then give callers on the scene crucial first aid or even life saving information to help injured patients until responders arrive.

If one or more cars involved in the accident leaves the scene before responders arrive is your Mustang going to call in the tag and vehicle description and which way the vehicle went?

If someone was ejected, run over or hit by a crash vehicle that's pretty important to know too.

This 911 assist thing just seems like yet another gimmick in a modern vehicle to me. There is great deal of information that is needed when you call in a wreck that this automated phone call just can't give.
You are missing a big factor: People in accidents can be unconscious after the accident, or pinned in a way that they can't get to their phone.
Assuming they don't change it, before the system connects to 911 it alerts you that it detected a crash and will call 911 unless you cancel. If you are conscious, you can cancel the automated call and make the call yourself, thereby providing all the data and receiving all the data you mention above. Even if you don't cancel the call, after relaying the information to the operator it opens the line so you can speak directly to the operator. If you are unconscious this system would call 911 for you and at least alert authorities so they can arrive. In my book, knowing there is an accident sufficient to trigger this system, out weighs the possibility that this accident will go unnoticed and unreported for any length of time.
Old 7/1/14, 11:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by AWmustang
You are missing a big factor: People in accidents can be unconscious after the accident, or pinned in a way that they can't get to their phone.
Assuming they don't change it, before the system connects to 911 it alerts you that it detected a crash and will call 911 unless you cancel. If you are conscious, you can cancel the automated call and make the call yourself, thereby providing all the data and receiving all the data you mention above. Even if you don't cancel the call, after relaying the information to the operator it opens the line so you can speak directly to the operator. If you are unconscious this system would call 911 for you and at least alert authorities so they can arrive. In my book, knowing there is an accident sufficient to trigger this system, out weighs the possibility that this accident will go unnoticed and unreported for any length of time.
I get the whole unconscious patients angle. I also know that its very much the exception and not the rule. Most car accidents result in numerous calls to 911 because everybody has a cell phone now. The most likely reason this automated call would take place is because the cell phone in the car flew up under the dash because it became a projectile during a crash and the owner has no idea where it ended up. Either way it still does not convey a lot of needed information that responders will need like an actual human being can. Additionally it doesn't tell 911 the actual condition of the patients like an actual human being can. I'm not saying the 911 assist is a complete failure, I'm just saying it will never be as good as a real human being and typically there are plenty of those calling in a car wreck.
Old 7/1/14, 11:56 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I really don't want big brother in the car with me.
Data can be used against you if you are 5 mph over the limit. I am not a fan of big government and this is just an extension of that. Maybe we should let them install some sensors and cameras in our homes too so they can make sure we are following the laws. You could be the first one. You surely don't have to worry as you are a law abiding citizen. Privacy be damned it's for the greater good of society.
Big brother is out of control and untrustworthy, and I for one am not going to invite him in or his corporate partner.

Last edited by cdynaco; 7/1/14 at 11:57 AM.
Old 7/1/14, 12:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a friend who bought an Audi R8, with a "Black Box".
He wrecked it in spectacular fashion, and the LEO confiscated the unit.
They went to Audi, who, bless their German hearts, refused to disclose the password to access the info. Even with a court order, they refused, because they are not bound by US law.
I would HOPE that there would be a need for a court issued warrant, or some such to use the info in court...I would hope.
Old 7/1/14, 12:36 PM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by White2010
I get the whole unconscious patients angle. I also know that its very much the exception and not the rule. Most car accidents result in numerous calls to 911 because everybody has a cell phone now. The most likely reason this automated call would take place is because the cell phone in the car flew up under the dash because it became a projectile during a crash and the owner has no idea where it ended up. Either way it still does not convey a lot of needed information that responders will need like an actual human being can. Additionally it doesn't tell 911 the actual condition of the patients like an actual human being can. I'm not saying the 911 assist is a complete failure, I'm just saying it will never be as good as a real human being and typically there are plenty of those calling in a car wreck.
This is true. And I agree that a person speaking to the operator has the benefit of being able to answer questions. I'm not happy about the level of information being given and the possiblity for it to be used in ways that have nothing to do with saving your life. But I travel, not infrequently, on roads where its quite possible no one may witness the crash. And in those cases this system adds some peace of mind. And again, even this automated system switches over to the human so all the information can be relayed that you mention.
Old 7/1/14, 01:01 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
less is more.
Old 7/1/14, 02:00 PM

We live in an age of TMI given by computer. Facebook, Twitter, Whatever! I do not own a smart phone and GPS is not enabled on my dumb phone. My phone is not now or never will be connected to my car. 40+ years driving and have gotten along just fine with out it. I do
want to give our government any more info on me than they have already. Where I go and what I do is my business, maybe my wifes also but thats it. (Unless I want to share) :-)

Quick Reply: What do you think about the new 911 system?