2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

What is the best aftermarket license plate holder for a 2015 mustang GT?

Search this Thread

Old 2/15/15, 09:20 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the best aftermarket license plate holder for a 2015 mustang GT?

Looking for the best license plate holder for my new GT Mustang.
Old 2/15/15, 11:28 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
There are several products available with different places where the plate is positioned. I chose Craig's Custom Bracket because the plate is on front center where the stock holder mounts. It requires no drilling. The plate and bracket come off easily with a thumb screw.
Old 2/15/15, 06:18 PM
GT Member

You talking front or rear?
Old 2/15/15, 06:45 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by MuddyLX
You talking front or rear?
Front.
Old 2/15/15, 07:41 PM
GT Member

Ahh, ok. No need for them here. Have seen several threads about no drill front plate mounts. Don't have a link but know they are out there.
Old 2/15/15, 08:13 PM
V6 Member

I went with the sto-n-sho front plate mount. It requires 1 hole to be drilled on the underside, and then uses 2 factory holes. There was another that I looked at that is mentioned here somewhere, but it is mounted with double sided 3M tape and I just do not want the bracket taped on. I know the tape is strong enough to hold it, but I just do not want to tape something to the painted surface.
Old 2/15/15, 11:57 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by KStev
I went with the sto-n-sho front plate mount. It requires 1 hole to be drilled on the underside, and then uses 2 factory holes. There was another that I looked at that is mentioned here somewhere, but it is mounted with double sided 3M tape and I just do not want the bracket taped on. I know the tape is strong enough to hold it, but I just do not want to tape something to the painted surface.

Got mine through amazon.
Old 2/16/15, 06:12 AM

Easy Fix

The problem is the stock front bracket is black and unless you have a black car, the bracket jumps out at you. I used some plastic spray paint to paint the bracket same color as car and it blends in much better and is a low cost fix. Yes,you still have a hole in your bumper but if you live in a state that requires a front plate, whats the problem? I did not put mine on until I was stopped for no plate which was within two weeks of getting my car
Old 2/16/15, 08:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
These are photos of Craig's bracket (www.ccmustangbrackets.com)
Attached Thumbnails What is the best aftermarket license plate holder for a 2015 mustang GT?-20141223_133939_resize25.jpg   What is the best aftermarket license plate holder for a 2015 mustang GT?-20141223_134007_resize25.jpg   What is the best aftermarket license plate holder for a 2015 mustang GT?-20141222_163110_resize25.jpg   What is the best aftermarket license plate holder for a 2015 mustang GT?-20141222_171313_resize25.jpg  
Old 2/16/15, 10:35 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I also used the Craigs Bracket. As far as being put on a painted surface, it is under the front bumper cover, just below the license plate mounting holes. This places it higher on the car then the other brackets and allows for better road/driveway clearance, in my opinion.

I have had it on for a month and no problems so far. Just remember to clean, clean and follow the directions for installation. I used a hair dryer to heat the car and the tape prior to install.

If you have holes in your bumper cover, as i did, go to Lowes or Ace Hardware and pick up two ⅝" plugs. Use touch up paint to match your car. Let dry 24 hours, clear coat, let dry 24 hours and install. They look like sensors, so they are good to go for shows.
Old 2/16/15, 01:26 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Add me to the list of Craig's bracket lovers- followed the directions to the letter with perfect results.
Old 2/16/15, 05:45 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by edwin smith
I did not put mine on until I was stopped for no plate which was within two weeks of getting my car
Knowing my luck, I will not even make it home from the dealership before I get stopped.

Both brackets should work fine, and Craig's would be a much better option for me seeing as it will be a daily driver. The Sto-n-show was the first I found and ordered, but the snow will turn it into a plow. I may have to get a Craig's for winter reasons and return the other.

Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL
This places it higher on the car then the other brackets and allows for better road/driveway clearance, in my opinion.
Darn you for pointing that out, and thank you also. I never took that into account, and can just imaging scraping the thing every time I pull into work. You have swayed my vote for the bracket.
Old 2/18/15, 09:45 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL
I also used the Craigs Bracket. As far as being put on a painted surface, it is under the front bumper cover, just below the license plate mounting holes. This places it higher on the car then the other brackets and allows for better road/driveway clearance, in my opinion.
I understand the clearance concerns.

Installed my Sto-N-Sho bracket last night.
I don't think it is going to make a difference.
Attached Thumbnails What is the best aftermarket license plate holder for a 2015 mustang GT?-2015_mustang13.jpg   What is the best aftermarket license plate holder for a 2015 mustang GT?-2015_mustang12.jpg  

Last edited by hschade; 2/18/15 at 09:46 AM.
Old 2/18/15, 04:26 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by hschade
I understand the clearance concerns.

Installed my Sto-N-Sho bracket last night.
I don't think it is going to make a difference.
That really does not look that bad. I ordered the Craig's but did not return the Sto-N-Sho. I may just hold onto both of them once the new one comes in and do some easy "testing" in the areas I am worried about. Since it is a common area for me to go with the areas, I will make sure I am safe before deciding though.
Old 3/5/15, 04:20 PM
V6 Member

Hi, all. Noticed thread and had a question. Sorry to be late-arriving. If the vehicle is being delivered to a state that requires a front plate, is the bracket installed by the factory? Or does the dealer install as part of prep?

I had assumed the latter and told my dealer to not install the bracket (when the car is delivered). I like the concept of the sho n sto, but I really have a hard time with smacking those concrete barriers that fit just under my older mustangs plastic bumper and s-c-r-a-p-i-n-g back out after I realize it. If I did that, I think I would ram the sho n sto right through the baffle. I don't trust myself on that. So I think I would choose the Craig's unit. Thanks for the good descriptions and pics.
Old 3/5/15, 04:51 PM
V6 Member

The front plate mounts are dealer installed for states that require a front plate. I did the same thing and told my salesperson 2 times already that they are not to put the front mount on or and stickers. Currently holding onto both the Sto-n-sho and craig's bracket to decide which to use when I do take delivery so I can evaluate my situations and decide from there.
Old 3/5/15, 05:46 PM
V6 Member

Thanks, KStev. Yes. I also told dealer by email about stickers and bracket but I have the feeling I will have to keep repeating it. I am going in there to next week to be sure.
Old 3/5/15, 06:09 PM
V6 Member

The sticker will not bother me as much as the holes in the front bumper, as long as I get it off before it sets in. I know they require a plate on the front here in MN, and I will put it on only because of that, but not with the factory mount.
Old 3/5/15, 06:50 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Salguod
Hi, all. Noticed thread and had a question. Sorry to be late-arriving. If the vehicle is being delivered to a state that requires a front plate, is the bracket installed by the factory? Or does the dealer install as part of prep? I had assumed the latter and told my dealer to not install the bracket (when the car is delivered). I like the concept of the sho n sto, but I really have a hard time with smacking those concrete barriers that fit just under my older mustangs plastic bumper and s-c-r-a-p-i-n-g back out after I realize it. If I did that, I think I would ram the sho n sto right through the baffle. I don't trust myself on that. So I think I would choose the Craig's unit. Thanks for the good descriptions and pics.
I have just ordered a "Sto & Show" from CJ Pony for my 2015 GT Mustang. All things considered I thought it suited my purposes best.
Old 3/5/15, 08:55 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Salguod
Hi, all. Noticed thread and had a question. Sorry to be late-arriving. If the vehicle is being delivered to a state that requires a front plate, is the bracket installed by the factory? Or does the dealer install as part of prep?

I had assumed the latter and told my dealer to not install the bracket (when the car is delivered). I like the concept of the sho n sto, but I really have a hard time with smacking those concrete barriers that fit just under my older mustangs plastic bumper and s-c-r-a-p-i-n-g back out after I realize it. If I did that, I think I would ram the sho n sto right through the baffle. I don't trust myself on that. So I think I would choose the Craig's unit. Thanks for the good descriptions and pics.
My salesman thought the same thing about the front bracket, and after reading here told him no, and he double checked and found out that the factory does NOT install them.

I understand the worry about scraping on the concrete barriers too. But I'm more worried about my car rather than the plate holder. I'm still ending up about 8 inches away from the curb still. Better than the foot it was the first week I had it.

And the bracket and plate still look good.
Attached Thumbnails What is the best aftermarket license plate holder for a 2015 mustang GT?-2015_mustang24.jpg  

Quick Reply: What is the best aftermarket license plate holder for a 2015 mustang GT?