2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Waste of money or not, AIRAID intake tube only

Old 4/3/16, 04:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Waste of money or not, AIRAID intake tube only

Just bought my second 5.0 Mustang, 2016 and this time I'm sticking with the factory air box since it is a true CAI but I was thinking of just replacing the factory tube with this ? http://www.airaid.com/search/product.aspx?prod=450-932

Thoughts and opinions please....
Old 4/3/16, 05:24 AM
GT Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Can't see how just the tube would do anything, most of what a CAI is about is the sound and the tube won't even impact that.

I would just get a drop in filter from K&K or Green and save some money, at least they have been proven to flow more air.
Old 4/3/16, 05:55 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by rm2092
Just bought my second 5.0 Mustang, 2016 and this time I'm sticking with the factory air box since it is a true CAI but I was thinking of just replacing the factory tube with this ? http://www.airaid.com/search/product.aspx?prod=450-932

I have an extra Airaid tube only from my 2014 GT for use with the stock air box. I used it for cosmetic purposes only but recently installed the CAI which comes with a longer tube.

It doesn't look like the '15 tube only is configured the same as the '14 though.

The tube itself will do nothing other than to make the engine bay a little neater. The factory tube is cheap looking. Here's the Airaid tube with a Ford logo:
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
rm2092 (4/3/16)
Old 4/3/16, 09:46 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
I have an extra Airaid tube only from my 2014 GT for use with the stock air box. I used it for cosmetic purposes only but recently installed the CAI which comes with a longer tube.

It doesn't look like the '15 tube only is configured the same as the '14 though.

The tube itself will do nothing other than to make the engine bay a little neater. The factory tube is cheap looking. Here's the Airaid tube with a Ford logo:

Nice engine bay!! Did you paint the cover?
Old 4/3/16, 10:48 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by Jazzman442
Nice engine bay!! Did you paint the cover?
Thanks....compliment much appreciated. I got the coil covers via someone on Facebook. The engine cover came from Bangastang, but they don't do them anymore. Both the FB guy and Bangastang provided the parts. They've been smoothed, painted, clear coated and polished.

Here's what it looks like now with the CAI:
Attached Thumbnails Waste of money or not, AIRAID intake tube only-sam_4412.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
buckethead1 (4/14/16)
Old 4/3/16, 04:18 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,954 Likes on 1,583 Posts
Originally Posted by rm2092

Originally Posted by dgc333
Can't see how just the tube would do anything, most of what a CAI is about is the sound and the tube won't even impact that.

I would just get a drop in filter from K&K or Green and save some money, at least they have been proven to flow more air.
I totally agree with this ^^^^^ IMHO you would be far better off with a drop in filter.. As a matter of fact, I'm running the Airaid synthamax drop in filter with my Saleen airbox and couldn't be happier.. What I like most about this Airaid filter, is it doesn't require re-oiling.. You just simply wash it with a mild detergent, let dry and you're good to go
Attached Images  

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 4/3/16 at 04:21 PM.
Old 4/3/16, 08:15 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
I totally agree with this ^^^^^ IMHO you would be far better off with a drop in filter.. As a matter of fact, I'm running the Airaid synthamax drop in filter with my Saleen airbox and couldn't be happier.. What I like most about this Airaid filter, is it doesn't require re-oiling.. You just simply wash it with a mild detergent, let dry and you're good to go
I use the AEM drop in. It also doesn't use oil. In my Audi A4, I went through several mass air flow sensors that were damaged by the oil in my K&N filter. I have been weary of oiled filters ever since.
Old 4/5/16, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. V
I use the AEM drop in. It also doesn't use oil. In my Audi A4, I went through several mass air flow sensors that were damaged by the oil in my K&N filter. I have been weary of oiled filters ever since.
AEM are also very excellent quality filters as well, as I did consider their dry panel filters but chose to stick with Airaid instead..

I also decided to make the switch from traditional oiled filters to non-oiled, as like yourself, I was also concerned with the MAF sensor being contaminated by filter oil
Old 4/5/16, 08:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was looking at this awhile back and thought I read somewhere that this tube was good for about 10hp or so.
Old 4/5/16, 10:46 PM

I don't buy into that for a moment.. As most your HP and Torque gains come from the re-calibration tune and not from the CAI.. IMO a CAI may provide up to an additional 10 HP with both the conical air filter and intake tube, but not with just the tube by itself..
Just saying

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 4/5/16 at 10:47 PM.
Old 4/6/16, 03:19 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
I don't buy into that for a moment.. As most your HP and Torque gains come from the re-calibration tune and not from the CAI.. IMO a CAI may provide up to an additional 10 HP with both the conical air filter and intake tube, but not with just the tube by itself..
Just saying
Agreed. I ran the 'tube only' for over a year and all it did was tidy up the bay. No gain was realized, nor was any expected. In fact, I now have the Airaid CAI without a tune (warranty paranoia) and if there is a HP gain it's negligible at best. But it sure sounds and looks purty.
Old 4/6/16, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
Agreed. I ran the 'tube only' for over a year and all it did was tidy up the bay. No gain was realized, nor was any expected. In fact, I now have the Airaid CAI without a tune (warranty paranoia) and if there is a HP gain it's negligible at best. But it sure sounds and looks purty.
Before upgrading to my current 06 GT.. My previous 05 GT was pretty much bone stock until adding my first mods that included the Steeda 90mm CAI with a canned SCT programmer.. Shortly afterwards I upgraded to Bamachips 93 octane race tunes when Doug was still the owner.. After he sold to American Muscle, the Bama tunes just weren't the same anymore and decided that I wanted to look into getting a CAI that didn't require tuning.. So after doing extensive research, I chose the Airaid CAI due to the excellent OEM fit and finish quality and also because Airaid backs their products with a full no hassle, lifetime warranty as well..

Although I didn't notice any real HP gains, my throttle response was definitely much improved over the stock airbox and I also noticed a deeper exhaust tone as well..
As for the non-tune insert was concerned, it functioned flawlessly as I never experienced any check engine lights nor ran into any problems with my air/fuel running too lean..

After upgrading to my current 06 GT, I had to end up selling the Airaid CAI as it would not fit on a Saleen supercharger due to the re-positioning of the alternator..

Since then, I've been running the OEM Saleen airbox with Brenspeed's 91 octane tune which includes a 98mm MAF that was also the factory airbox for the 07-09 Saleen S281 SC Extreme models..

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 4/10/16 at 04:10 AM.