2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Tires recommendation.

Search this Thread

Old 4/22/21, 02:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tires recommendation.

Well it’s time for new tires for a 2017 GT convertible. Current tires are stock oem pirelli p zero Nero 255/40 zr 19 with just under 20 k miles and they really didn’t get the mileage one would think. But then again I’m a more spirited driver as they would say. More on the aggressive side. Ya have to keep them round. 😉. Car does not see snow being in Wisconsin and all season isn’t a big factor but either way looking for what real life users recommend.I have compared a bunch and read reviews on tire rack but those reviews and test results aren’t from mustang owners. Many different vehicles. So again all season isn’t a factor but car does see rain on occasion. So yea wet and dry performance is big plus. So what’s the consensus on real life users. And go.
Old 4/22/21, 03:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,573 Likes on 1,078 Posts
duplicate thread: New Tires recommendation - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

There are so many good tires out there; you really need to narrow it down a bit; some of the key tradeoffs:
  • do you prioritize wear life over ultimate performance? (softer tires grip better but wear faster)
  • will you drive the car in temps under about 45 deg F? (summer-only tires turn to hockey pucks around that temperature)
  • you already mentioned that you do need to drive the car in rain
  • what about price -- are you looking for the best tire regardless of price; or the best value with price considered?
Michelin Pilot Super Sport or Sport 4S are generally a good choice for a high end, high performance summer tire . . . but there are lots of cheaper alternatives that are probably close

Also, while you're buying tires, would be a good time to consider new (wider) wheels; if that's in the budget. Wider wheels would let you go with wider tires.

Last edited by Bert; 4/22/21 at 03:52 PM.
Old 4/22/21, 06:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 464 Likes on 306 Posts
Goodyear are pretty good in the rain but suck at lower temps. Found out last year when temp dropped thought something broke on the stang. Just like bert said soft tires turn into hockey pucks when temps drop. It's like driving a big wheel. Lol
Old 4/22/21, 07:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

For what this is worth, I've really enjoyed my Nexen N5000 Plus on Awesome. Good price, good performance, I think, especially being also All Seasons M+S. I've also heard great things about the General GMAX AS-05s, which have to be better than the AS-03s I had before, loud dang things, sounded like freakin' wheel bearings going out. But they did handle pretty well.

The best ones I've ever had were the Cooper Zeon RS3-A. I mean... I MEAN... in all the weathers and all the conditions and all the cornering, them things hooked up. And that was in the 235-55R17 size, I can't imagine how good they'd be in the size I need now... which is just too bad, 'cause I can't get them in the sizes I need for my wheels, so... the Nexen is the next best thing I've had so far. And they don't hold a candle to those Zeons, those are amazing.

Both the Coopers and Nexens last a good long while. The GMax AS-03s did pretty well too, but not as well as I'd have liked. But again, I've heard greater about the AS-05s, so maybe I'll give them a try.

Tires as just real... difficult. So many factors. But that's my experience, beyond the Pirellis, which are awful as far as I'm concerned.

For what my ramblin' about it is worth. Probably nothin' and that's fine. *wanders off*

Last edited by houtex; 4/22/21 at 07:58 PM.
Old 5/19/21, 09:05 AM

Nitto NT 555 g2

Any thoughts on the nitto nt555 g2 . Been reading some good reviews. Also considering going up a size . Stock is 255/40/19. Want to go to 265/40/19 . Just a touch wider.
Old 5/19/21, 09:10 AM

Nitto nt555 g2

Originally Posted by houtex
Welcome to the forums!

For what this is worth, I've really enjoyed my Nexen N5000 Plus on Awesome. Good price, good performance, I think, especially being also All Seasons M+S. I've also heard great things about the General GMAX AS-05s, which have to be better than the AS-03s I had before, loud dang things, sounded like freakin' wheel bearings going out. But they did handle pretty well.

The best ones I've ever had were the Cooper Zeon RS3-A. I mean... I MEAN... in all the weathers and all the conditions and all the cornering, them things hooked up. And that was in the 235-55R17 size, I can't imagine how good they'd be in the size I need now... which is just too bad, 'cause I can't get them in the sizes I need for my wheels, so... the Nexen is the next best thing I've had so far. And they don't hold a candle to those Zeons, those are amazing.

Both the Coopers and Nexens last a good long while. The GMax AS-03s did pretty well too, but not as well as I'd have liked. But again, I've heard greater about the AS-05s, so maybe I'll give them a try.

Tires as just real... difficult. So many factors. But that's my experience, beyond the Pirellis, which are awful as far as I'm concerned.

For what my ramblin' about it is worth. Probably nothin' and that's fine. *wanders off*
. Any thoughts on the nitto NT 555 g2 . Been seeing some great reviews. Also thoughts on going up a size from 255/40/19 to 265/40/19. Just a touch wider
Old 5/22/21, 12:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Nitto always gets good reviews, seems. I have no thoughts on them myself. It really is dependent on what you want to get out of the tires and what you can afford and...

Wider means more traction so that's not a bad thing... does mean a little more unsprung weight, so that's the tradeoff. And the sidewalls will pooch out more on the same wheel, so that may affect handling, which might be compensated for by a stickier tire...

...like I said. Lots of factors. We can say everything great/negative about the tires and the bottom line is you won't really know unless you jump off that cliff and get them yourself.

/Nexens. Do it. Unless you can get the Coopers, then do that...
//No, don't, you do you!
///but really, do it.
////Oh, yeah, the wider tire will affect your speedo a little bit, as the same sidewall ratio means taller tire, which means speedo reads faster. Not much, though: https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Last edited by houtex; 5/22/21 at 12:22 PM.
Old 5/24/21, 09:47 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,573 Likes on 1,078 Posts
Originally Posted by Ratsnest
Any thoughts on the nitto nt555 g2 . Been reading some good reviews. Also considering going up a size . Stock is 255/40/19. Want to go to 265/40/19 . Just a touch wider.
I'm guessing the width is probably OK; but the best way to tell, is to check the manufacturer's recommendations for wheel rim width. You'll need to know the width of your wheels.

The NT555 G2's have been out for a few years now, I think I remember some conversation about them when they were fairly new on the market, you might be able to find some existing threads with the search.
Old 5/24/21, 07:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Yessir, Bert, tire size isn't an issue here if 265s are desired. All the way up to 295s in back have been run plenty. 285s in back are stock for GT500s. 275s are what I run front and back on the 18x9.5 GT500 'Vert rims on the 17" steering rack setup on a 1" lower setup (so they should rub, but they don't, so win.) I have a feelin' unless it's in the weeds 265 isn't a problem at all all the way 'round.

I'm thinkin' more the lesser availability of that size being a problem, as there's not that many makers, and the few that are get a premium for the tires over the 255s...

Went to Tirebuyer.com and the cheapest 265/40R19 is the summer Nitto 555 G2 at $229 each, cheapest All Season is Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus at $266/ea
Cheapest 255/40R19 that'd I'd even consider buying (because there are cheaper and... no.) happens to be the Nexen N5000 Plus All Season at 178 each (and happens to also be the tires on Awesome, except in 275/40R18)

Just info. I totally get it, because if it were price driven... I'd have 17s back on Awesome. Like that's gonna happen now, can't go back! Just sayin' that's something to consider is all. Do what you want/need on these things, everyone!