2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Thinking of Upgrading

Search this Thread

Old 1/3/10, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of Upgrading

My wife has given me the go to upgrade to a '11 or '12 Stang. Since I'll be in Korea all of this yr and my car won't be driven. I can put my car payment towards my CC, pay it off, and put some extra towards a down payment. I would be getting the new stang through Military Car Sales. So what would you do.

Option 1-- Keep my stang with the mods in my sig and throw on the Roush TVS that I have

Option 2-- '11 or '12 GT
Old 1/4/10, 10:08 AM
Bullitt Member

First off Be Safe...

Second...There are a lot of us in the same boat as you. This new engine has made us rethink the future. Unfortunately, no matter what we do it usually will cost us a big chunk of change...You have a Beautiful Mustang and a charger ready to go...I say add the charger and be very Happy with what you have...

You have an advantage also...You could sell everything and get the new Mustang...But you would have less power than what you will have with the charger...

I am going to wait...I would like to add a Supercharger in mine and most likely will...Take care...
Old 1/4/10, 12:49 PM

Yea I just might wait for a 2014 50th Anniversary
Old 1/4/10, 12:53 PM
GT Member

Here's what I would do.

1) Sell your existing Mustang before you go to Korea. You'll make the most money if you sell it to a private party, and if you do so before another year of depreciation goes by.

2) Pay off all your credit card(s). These do nothing but sap any extra money you might have lying around (and then some!).

3) When you get back, start looking at the new Mustangs. The nice part about it is that there should be rebate money on the 11's by then, and you'll also know if Ford's putting anything special on the 12's (like IRS) or bringing out the Boss or the Mach 1. Frankly, IRS would be worth waiting another year, since they might even bump the HP up a little by then. Not only that, but it would give the aftermarket time to catch up with the new engine.

The drawback of this is, that if something disastrous happens, and you need to spend your 2011 Mustang fund on some financial emergency, then you come home from Korea to no Mustang and no prospect of any future Mustang.

Just make sure (and this is coming from a Jag), that the money you are socking away or sending home is somewhere safe, and you don't have a wife or girlfriend spending it in ways you wouldn't approve!
Old 1/7/10, 12:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Love the new engine and other amenities of the 2011. Still, why couldn't Ford have done something better with the rear treatment? Cost too much to redesign I suppose. The 2011 GT will probably NOT be cheap. Anyone have a clue as to what they will cost?
Old 1/7/10, 01:50 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its not a matter of could or couldn't (they did infact add a new bumper). It was only a matter of necessity and I for one am glad they didn't change it too dramatically
Old 1/7/10, 05:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Jayhawk
Love the new engine and other amenities of the 2011. Still, why couldn't Ford have done something better with the rear treatment? Cost too much to redesign I suppose. The 2011 GT will probably NOT be cheap. Anyone have a clue as to what they will cost?
I like the rear the way it is. I am also sure that redesigning the rear would be way cheaper than the 5.0 was. And then again, they just redid the rear 1 year ago, and people are still buying Mustangs... We don't know what a GT will cost yet, it might be as high as Camaro territory.
Old 1/8/10, 01:20 AM
Cobra Member

What are you planning to do with the car? Is it a daily driver? Have you seen/been in the new car? Are the enhancements (besides the engine) appealing to you?

Personally, I really like the idea of selling everything and paying down/off your cc debt, than making the decision when you get back. If you like the new cars -- get one, and enjoy having less/no cc payments. If you like the old cars, get a used one--should be easy to get one for what you will sell yours for, so you lost no money, but still paid down/off your debt.

Also, your current car might start to loose value quicker once the new cars hit the streets, so selling now would get you the most money for your current car.

Last edited by Rampant; 1/8/10 at 01:21 AM.
Old 1/8/10, 01:26 AM
Cobra Member

Still, why couldn't Ford have done something better with the rear treatment? Cost too much to redesign I suppose. The 2011 GT will probably NOT be cheap. Anyone have a clue as to what they will cost?
Still with the rear end bashing? Anyway, no word on GT pricing, but if Edmunds is to believed (which is hit and miss some times), the V6 went up $500. I expect Ford to keep GT pricing pretty similar to what it is now, to stay under the $30.7k Camaro -- but only a $500 difference might be a bit low.
Old 1/8/10, 07:56 AM
Bullitt Member

"Still with the rear end bashing?"

Absolutely. Everything about the car is looking great, except for that. Listen, my 15 year old loves the new back and I just don't. It has nothing to do with owning an '07. If I wanted a 2011 GT, we could go out and buy one. That is NOT a stumbling block. I will say that the 412 hp is VERY appealing.
Old 1/9/10, 09:14 PM
V6 Member

"Still with the rear end bashing?"

Absolutely. Everything about the car is looking great, except for that. Listen, my 15 year old loves the new back and I just don't. It has nothing to do with owning an '07. If I wanted a 2011 GT, we could go out and buy one. That is NOT a stumbling block. I will say that the 412 hp is VERY appealing.
da butt on the 10's is purrrty. Your son is a sharp kid, must get it from his ma!