2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Stripes or No Stripes??

Search this Thread

Old 7/17/14, 05:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stripes or No Stripes??

I'm thinking of putting stripes on my Mustang when I get it. It looks good in illustrations I've seen but wanted some opinions with the new body style. Also, should I use paint or vinyl? How does the vinyl hold up with car washes and stuff or would paint be a better long term solution?
Old 7/17/14, 06:19 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Paint would be better but there is no peeling them off after a while if you want to change your car up. I want stripes on my car as well and even if I thought I'd want the stripes forever I wouldn't trust a paint shop to do it right. Yeah I have auto body stories that would curl your hair.
Old 7/17/14, 07:10 AM
GT Member

None. My '66 GT Fastback has them though.
Old 7/17/14, 08:26 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I say no, would you put stripes on a Ferrari or Lambo? :-)
Old 7/17/14, 09:30 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SONICBOOST
Some do:

Old 7/17/14, 10:18 AM
Former Vendor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by stam616
I'm thinking of putting stripes on my Mustang when I get it. It looks good in illustrations I've seen but wanted some opinions with the new body style. Also, should I use paint or vinyl? How does the vinyl hold up with car washes and stuff or would paint be a better long term solution?
At the end of the day this is your Mustang! Mod it how you see fit! While I personally don't have any stripes on my Bullitt I've thought about it many times over. What color did you order? We use industry grade products here with over an 8 year warranty so if you were to ever have an issues we'd take care of you!

As soon as we have our 15's on site I would highly anticipate that our vinyl team will be all over them pretty quickly so keep an eye out!

Alex
Old 7/17/14, 12:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A 2015 Mustang is a FAR cry from a Ferrari or Lambo - and people stripe those too.

That being said, I think the body lines lend towards side stripes over rally stripes.

Last edited by Cristoff; 7/17/14 at 12:19 PM.
Old 7/17/14, 01:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Paint!

Having done vinyl on my '11 vert, if you are going with a light color like silver or white, take it from me paint may be more expensive but it is worth it. On a brand new car there will be no chips to fix and a very smooth surface for the stripes to be laid out by a good shop. I had the vinyl strips on the hood and deck lid take off because the elements are brutal to horizontal surfaces. I absolute love my custom painted hood and had I the opportunity to do it over, the Boss Style C Stripes would be painted - so far the vertical surfaces are holding up but the paint is flawless! Also paint alow you to be unique
Attached Thumbnails Stripes or No Stripes??-dscn3908.jpg   Stripes or No Stripes??-p1120277.jpg  
Old 7/17/14, 02:12 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
i would recommend going with premium quality stripes that hold up over time. Vinyl allows you to switch colors later on if you want to change it up a bit too.
Old 7/17/14, 03:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Well if I do stripes, I'd want like a dark gray or black.. As I am thinking of going with the magnetic grey. With the vinyl, if I take them off after a couple of years ( I have no garage for the foreseeable future.. How will the paint look? Will there be discernible stripes with slight dis colorization of the exposed paint over the paint under the vinyl? Also I've seen stripe kits.. I want mine to go all the way down front and back as well as over a spoiler.. Preferably a duckbill type.. But i won't know until I find the right spoiler for my tastes.. Do they make custom kits like that?? So you have enough to go front back and over a spoiler??
Old 7/17/14, 04:08 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Well if I do stripes, I'd want like a dark gray or black.. As I am thinking of going with the magnetic grey. With the vinyl, if I take them off after a couple of years ( I have no garage for the foreseeable future.. How will the paint look? Will there be discernible stripes with slight dis colorization of the exposed paint over the paint under the vinyl? Also I've seen stripe kits.. I want mine to go all the way down front and back as well as over a spoiler.. Preferably a duckbill type.. But i won't know until I find the right spoiler for my tastes.. Do they make custom kits like that?? So you have enough to go front back and over a spoiler??
I'm not an expurt but i'm assuming you'd have some fading of the clearcoat for sure but alot depends on how you look after it. I went with custom stripes to ensure near perfection. Costs more but worth it to me. you get what you pay for.
Old 7/17/14, 04:38 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Attached Thumbnails Stripes or No Stripes??-ford-gt-2005navy.jpg  
Old 7/17/14, 05:30 PM
Bullitt Member

I'll likely get a Guard 2015, and I'm thinking white Shelby stripes would look pretty nice on that color.
Old 7/18/14, 05:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by DarrenGT
I'm not an expurt but i'm assuming you'd have some fading of the clearcoat for sure but alot depends on how you look after it. I went with custom stripes to ensure near perfection. Costs more but worth it to me. you get what you pay for.
How much do custom stripes cost? Also we get rough winters, so I need to know just how these vinyl stripes hold up in a car wash. I wish I'd have a garage but that's not an option for at least three years.. Lol
Old 7/18/14, 07:47 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

How much do custom stripes cost? Also we get rough winters, so I need to know just how these vinyl stripes hold up in a car wash. I wish I'd have a garage but that's not an option for at least three years.. Lol
it varies. probably 500-1000 depending on complexity. they did mine in a graphics software with a cutter so everything was perfect, no hand trimmed edges. They then spent an entire 2 days on it. And used the highest quality vinyl.

if you don;t have a garage for your car get a really good car cover and keep her well conditioned and waxed too.
Old 7/18/14, 07:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I would agree that if you do end up going for stripes... painted ones would look awesome!.. but there's no going back.
Old 7/19/14, 01:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by DarrenGT
it varies. probably 500-1000 depending on complexity. they did mine in a graphics software with a cutter so everything was perfect, no hand trimmed edges. They then spent an entire 2 days on it. And used the highest quality vinyl. if you don;t have a garage for your car get a really good car cover and keep her well conditioned and waxed too.
I always keep my cars clean but can I was the stripes if they are vinyl? How would they do in a car wash? Winters have been rough here recently..
Old 7/19/14, 07:53 AM
V6 Member

I always keep my cars clean but can I was the stripes if they are vinyl? How would they do in a car wash? Winters have been rough here recently..
Never take a Mustang through a car wash!...

If you go with quality stripe material, and a pro shop, they will hold up very well. My 2012 was three years old when I sold it and the vinyl looked perfect. I even used a randon-orbital device to clean/polish with no ill effects. And as several have stated, a little work with a hair-dryer and presto, stripes are removed and you can start over.

For that reason, I would never consider painted stripes...
Old 7/20/14, 11:43 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I've been thinking of getting some 10 inch GT500 style black stripes on my silver GT. Not sure if gloss back or matte black would look best. I'm not worried about wear and tear as I only drive it once in a while and it sits in a garage when not driven.

What I was wondering is how much does a good shop charge to install a set of stripes. And does anyone have picks of a silver 13/14 GT with the gloss black stripes, I have seen the matte black but not gloss...
Old 7/20/14, 06:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Storm75
Never take a Mustang through a car wash!... If you go with quality stripe material, and a pro shop, they will hold up very well. My 2012 was three years old when I sold it and the vinyl looked perfect. I even used a randon-orbital device to clean/polish with no ill effects. And as several have stated, a little work with a hair-dryer and presto, stripes are removed and you can start over. For that reason, I would never consider painted stripes...
Well I dont have a garage and I will be driving this in winter at times so car washes will be my friend in getting rid of road salt and junk from under the car.. believe me I wish I could keep it under wraps but it's just not an option. That's why I really NEED to know about durability and such. I won't have a lot of money to spend on this car at first.. That's why I'm getting the car without the performance pack and only will go with the 18" wheels.. So snow tires won't cost a bloody fortune lol. Thanks so much though for all the advice and help. I'm so glad that I'm coming back to this community again, because I have such great memories of my club days, showing my car with my Dad and his 85 GT, the cruise nights, the conversations.. Hopefully I'll be able to get my car sooner rather than later but we wiil see. I'm shooting for summer/fall 2016 the absolute latest..

Quick Reply: Stripes or No Stripes??