2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Solid Axle vs. IRS

Search this Thread

Old 9/25/12, 12:48 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hi5.0
This again? A IRS is better than a (3 link/TA) live rear axle everywhere but a perfectly smooth race track - going in a straight line or with turns. The cobbled-together nature of the SN95 version is unfortunately the "IRS standard point of reference" for Mustang enthusiasts, it seems.
If other manufacturers of performance cars/exotics can build IRS-equipped cars that can handle what their engines can dish out, I don't see how Ford cannot do the same now that the Mustang has a better chassis designed for it.
I agree that Ford should be able to build and produce a IRS that wont twist up and tear up pumpkins if the other competitors can.
I started this topic not for which is better, but for the question of; I wondered if Ford was going to make the rearends a option.
Old 9/25/12, 12:57 AM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I doubt it. But if Ford does offer a live axle option for the next Mustang, you can bet it would be geared for something like the Cobra Jet and then offered in the Ford Racing catalog. IIRC, the 2012 COPO Camaro uses a aftermarket-based live rear axle setup.
Old 9/25/12, 02:45 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by hi5.0
This again? A IRS is better than a (3 link/TA) live rear axle everywhere but a perfectly smooth race track - going in a straight line or with turns. The cobbled-together nature of the SN95 version is unfortunately the "IRS standard point of reference" for Mustang enthusiasts, it seems.
If other manufacturers of performance cars/exotics can build IRS-equipped cars that can handle what their engines can dish out, I don't see how Ford cannot do the same now that the Mustang has a better chassis designed for it.
Exactly. All this has been rehashed over and over and over again, since 1999. It's SO old. Cool the Boss performs great and is the new benchmark for front engine trackable street cars. So what? Again, the Mustang is THE last modern car produced with a SRA. It's done. Period.

And tough behind a keyboard? Bull. I have friends who constantly misuse their/there/they're and your/you're and to/too. It drives me up a wall that people can't spell or write correctly, yet somehow get jobs that pay enough to afford these vehicles. It's all over the Internet, not just here. People have no attention to detail. You say it's the Internet, and it doesn't matter? I say if you want your comment next to your screen name, at least have the pride to make sure everything is spelled correctly and grammatically correct.
Old 9/25/12, 03:01 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
This is a gear head mustang site. I'm sure there is a grammar and punctuation site somewheres on the net. There's a problem when you get used to that proper stick up your butt and actually start to enjoy it.
Old 9/25/12, 03:30 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by laserred38

Exactly. All this has been rehashed over and over and over again, since 1999. It's SO old. Cool the Boss performs great and is the new benchmark for front engine trackable street cars. So what? Again, the Mustang is THE last modern car produced with a SRA. It's done. Period.

And tough behind a keyboard? Bull. I have friends who constantly misuse their/there/they're and your/you're and to/too. It drives me up a wall that people can't spell or write correctly, yet somehow get jobs that pay enough to afford these vehicles. It's all over the Internet, not just here. People have no attention to detail. You say it's the Internet, and it doesn't matter? I say if you want your comment next to your screen name, at least have the pride to make sure everything is spelled correctly and grammatically correct.
Tell you what, why don't you read a topic before you start opening your mouth. It was NEVER about which is better, it was about the possibilities of Ford making the rear axle a option.
Old 9/25/12, 04:45 AM

HANDS DOWN the IRS, it is much better in curves especially bumpy ones to hold traction, the live rear axle is supposed to be used on trucks and track cars but 90% of roads are NOT perfect like a track, it has many bumps. The IRS helps a lot its what the camaros have all come with.

It does add weight though.
Old 9/25/12, 10:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
This is a gear head mustang site. I'm sure there is a grammar and punctuation site somewheres on the net. There's a problem when you get used to that proper stick up your butt and actually start to enjoy it.
Since when did being a gear head become an excuse for being illiterate?
Old 9/25/12, 10:54 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by UnrealFord

Tell you what, why don't you read a topic before you start opening your mouth. It was NEVER about which is better, it was about the possibilities of Ford making the rear axle a option.
And what did ya think was going to happen in a thread regarding the live axle and IRS, hmm? A debate about which is better. Just like EVERY other suspension thread on the site and even in this 2015 rumor section. I remember my first time on the Internet too...
Old 9/25/12, 11:00 AM
Cobra R Member

And what did ya think was going to happen in a thread regarding the live axle and IRS, hmm? A debate about which is better. Just like EVERY other suspension thread on the site and even in this 2015 rumor section. I remember my first time on the Internet too...
First time on the internet? Ive been here longer then you...LMAO. I suppose thats why your looking for a job and are jealous of people making more money then you. Take a guess ,its probably your crappy attitude.

Last edited by UnrealFord; 9/25/12 at 11:04 AM.
Old 9/25/12, 11:05 AM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by UnrealFord
First time on the internet? Ive been here longer then you...LMAO. I suppose thats why your looking for a job and are jealous of people making more money then you. Take a guess ,its probably your crappy attitude.
Uh oh, "you're" "than" LOL jk :butyouknowmeikidikidlol:
Old 9/25/12, 11:12 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Your time on this site clearly has no correlation to your grammar or spelling. It's not jealousy. It's disappointment, that people in this country have no attention to detail any more and no pride in looking like they have some semblance of having a grasp on the English language. Then, hide behind this being a gearhead website. Wow.
Old 9/25/12, 11:13 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500

:inorite?!:
Old 9/25/12, 11:14 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Actually the word "axle" is derived from the word "axel" but that's no reason to get so angry. Lol
Lol a lot of people here don't "get" your humor, but I do, and I couldn't care less what you're saying because at least you can say it correctly. Jesus.
Old 9/25/12, 11:19 AM
Cobra R Member

Old 9/25/12, 11:21 AM

Since when did being a gear head become an excuse for being illiterate?
It doesn't. Just means that most of us don't give a rats *** about it.
Old 9/25/12, 11:33 AM
Cobra Member

Your time on this site clearly has no correlation to your grammar or spelling. It's not jealousy. It's disappointment, that people in this country have no attention to detail any more and no pride in looking like they have some semblance of having a grasp on the English language. Then, hide behind this being a gearhead website. Wow.
Are you seriously arguing about this?
Old 9/25/12, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Ethanjbeau

Are you seriously arguing about this?
I think he's actually trolling. There's no way someone could ***** out this bad about grammar.
Old 9/25/12, 01:08 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Keep it civil guys

Now lets get back to arguing about the important things. Like axles
Old 9/25/12, 09:38 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually, a debate about spelling and grammar may be more interesting than the 254th thread debating IRS vs SLA.
Old 9/25/12, 09:52 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by RandyW
Actually, a debate about spelling and grammar may be more interesting than the 254th thread debating IRS vs SLA.
For the 254th time it's not about which one is better. Try reading the first post in this topic. Duh!!!

Quick Reply: Solid Axle vs. IRS