2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Solid Axle vs. IRS

Old 9/23/12, 10:31 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This isn't about which is better, its about the choice you would select if Ford made it optional to select.

On the new up coming model we have seen spy shots of of the IRS.
Would you rather have the current axle or IRS?
How many are hoping Ford will make this a option?

Last edited by UnrealFord; 9/25/12 at 04:53 AM.
Old 9/23/12, 10:35 PM
Cobra R Member

I would think the general public Mustang enthusiasts would accept the Independent as default option and the other Mustang owners would choose the solid option at a cheaper choice.
Kind of like picking manual tranny is alittle cheaper.
Old 9/24/12, 07:21 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
The next Mustang will have IRS. Drag racers will install the solid rear end. I've seen a lot of 03-04 Cobras that have been changed to solid rear ends.
Old 9/24/12, 07:39 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I just can't see them offering both, but it would be crazy if they did.
DRAG PACK for GT.
I think it's wishful thinking though, as the cost for developing it would not benefit the ammount of people buying it.

Most people don't even know what it has, let alone care.
The core enthusiaists do...but drop in a bucket.

Make the IRS robust, large majority will be completely happy.
Those that want to play, will pay.
Old 9/24/12, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Boomer
I just can't see them offering both, but it would be crazy if they did.
DRAG PACK for GT.
I think it's wishful thinking though, as the cost for developing it would not benefit the ammount of people buying it.

Most people don't even know what it has, let alone care.
The core enthusiaists do...but drop in a bucket.

Make the IRS robust, large majority will be completely happy.
Those that want to play, will pay.
This^

Unlikely Ford would offer both in the new chassis, though not impossible either. However, engineering, development, production and certification costs would likely be prohibitive.

The old SN95 Cobra's were readily switched back to lively axles for strip duty because they were basically designed for live axles from the start -- the IRS was a clever but ultimately cobbled and compromised afterthought that did reap many IRS benefits (ride/handling improvements) but was not as robust for bombing down drag strips as as fresh sheet design would have been.

The clean-sheet 2015, will undoubtedly have a stout piece hoisting up its butt as Ford is undoubtedly acutely aware that a big chunk of its opinion-forming enthusiast-base -- many into drag racing -- will riot if the rear end makes to much as a peep at the strip, even when channeling hopped-up mega power.

While a smallish proportion of overall car buyers, enthusiasts do have an outsized influence on the general buyers as the "go to" folks for advice and setting the overall tone for how cars are viewed/reviewed.

Most people don't know the technical details of how much of anything is accomplished in their cars, just that it either works better or not so betterer than other cars, however its done. Enthusiasts, which make up a much larger proportion of Mustang buyers, would know that the improved ride and handling balance is the result of an IRS.

Thus, Pete Preener may not know why his 2015 Stang rides AND handles so much better than his old 2012 trade in, but his buddy Ollie Oilferblud prattles on about some new high techie hot stuff stuff in the suspension and that's all Pete needs to know.
Old 9/24/12, 12:52 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rhumb

This^

Unlikely Ford would offer both in the new chassis, though not impossible either. However, engineering, development, production and certification costs would likely be prohibitive.

The old SN95 Cobra's were readily switched back to lively axles for strip duty because they were basically designed for live axles from the start -- the IRS was a clever but ultimately cobbled and compromised afterthought that did reap many IRS benefits (ride/handling improvements) but was not as robust for bombing down drag strips as as fresh sheet design would have been.

The clean-sheet 2015, will undoubtedly have a stout piece hoisting up its butt as Ford is undoubtedly acutely aware that a big chunk of its opinion-forming enthusiast-base -- many into drag racing -- will riot if the rear end makes to much as a peep at the strip, even when channeling hopped-up mega power.

While a smallish proportion of overall car buyers, enthusiasts do have an outsized influence on the general buyers as the "go to" folks for advice and setting the overall tone for how cars are viewed/reviewed.

Most people don't know the technical details of how much of anything is accomplished in their cars, just that it either works better or not so betterer than other cars, however its done. Enthusiasts, which make up a much larger proportion of Mustang buyers, would know that the improved ride and handling balance is the result of an IRS.

Thus, Pete Preener may not know why his 2015 Stang rides AND handles so much better than his old 2012 trade in, but his buddy Ollie Oilferblud prattles on about some new high techie hot stuff stuff in the suspension and that's all Pete needs to know.
Wow, that was a lot of words to describe the situation.

I don't see them offering both, but, like the motor situation, they need to adapt or die. With all other cars in the segment offering IRS setups that handle the power, it's time to make it happen. Those riding on rough streets will enjoy it, and the enthusiasts will enjoy it if they position the next car as more of a road course and less of a drag car.
Old 9/24/12, 02:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well said guys. I completely agree. Is time for Ford to abandon the "good enough" mentality of the solid axle and finally update the Mustang with the superior IRS setup. There will be plenty of SRA Mustang to choose from for those that want it "old school".
Old 9/24/12, 02:27 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Don't forget about cost per unit guys. IRS will definitely cost more to produce. Definitely cost more for warranty repairs also. Maybe the new edge cobras were a costly experiment. If they do use IRS it better be bullet proof like the corvette.
Old 9/24/12, 02:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

If Ford can add $750 a piece taillights (2013 ) without increasing the price too much I'm pretty sure they can add IRS without impacting price much. Plus now the Mustang is going global so that will help keep cost down.
Old 9/24/12, 03:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Don't forget about cost per unit guys. IRS will definitely cost more to produce. Definitely cost more for warranty repairs also. Maybe the new edge cobras were a costly experiment. If they do use IRS it better be bullet proof like the corvette.
Jesus Mary and Joseph. Every single other car in the world has an IRS. Get over the d*mn "cost per unit." And it's spelled AXLE. I'm so tired of seeing all these illiterate knuckle dragging retards on these forums that can't speak or write English correctly, yet somehow can afford these $50k cars. This country has gone to sh*t.

And I'm sure we'll get some "I've been doing a), b) and c) all my life, I paid my dues!" story soon. Just wait for it.

Last edited by laserred38; 9/24/12 at 03:58 PM.
Old 9/24/12, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Overboost
Wow, that was a lot of words to describe the situation.
Third cup of coffee

Originally Posted by Overboost
I don't see them offering both, but, like the motor situation, they need to adapt or die. With all other cars in the segment offering IRS setups that handle the power, it's time to make it happen. Those riding on rough streets will enjoy it, and the enthusiasts will enjoy it if they position the next car as more of a road course and less of a drag car.
Actually, I think an IRS will offer the broader performance envelope, especially lumpy, bumpy real world performance, than the live axle, which tended to relegate the Mustang more to the drag strip or smooth-street stoplight, umm, sportiness. In other words, it will be less of an either/or type situation with the IRS and more of an and/and type thing.
Old 9/24/12, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
I think the per/unit costs of the stillborn S197 IRS was around $100 more than a live axle. However, the penny-pinching swap over to a the live axle happened so late into the development process (they were already road testing final production-ready IRSs) that the live axle ended up costing $100 MORE than the IRS in the end had they stuck with it. Ironic.

That said, I would not look to the rather unique SN95 IRS experiment as a model of what to expect but rather, the legions of other modern IRS systems on modern chassis to get a better idea of what to expect in terms of costs, reliability and performance. In other words, it won't weigh 500bls more, won't cost $5,000 more, won't shatter at the first hard launch and won't send you to debtor's prison with out of warrenty repair bills.
Old 9/24/12, 04:17 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38

Jesus Mary and Joseph. Every single other car in the world has an IRS. Get over the d*mn "cost per unit." And it's spelled AXLE. I'm so tired of seeing all these illiterate knuckle dragging retards on these forums that can't speak or write English correctly, yet somehow can afford these $50k cars. This country has gone to sh*t.

And I'm sure we'll get some "I've been doing a), b) and c) all my life, I paid my dues!" story soon. Just wait for it.
Wow you guys are sensitive over there.
The solid "AXLE" is proven to work in the mustang. The Boss is kickin *** right now with SRA or haven't you heard? If Ford can't make an IRS outperform the current set up, then why the hell would they do it? Because everyone else is doing it? Maybe Ford is just not as sophisticated as you. Maybe Ford engineering just sucks. pull your panties out of your crack and enjoy a healthy discussion.
Old 9/24/12, 06:15 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by laserred38

Wow, now its down to name calling, I'd rather have my phone accidentally use spell check wrong, then resort to calling people knuckle dragging retards.
You need to grow up, it amazes how tough people act on the internet.
Old 9/24/12, 06:20 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 9/24/12, 06:47 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Actually the word "axle" is derived from the word "axel" but that's no reason to get so angry. Lol
Old 9/24/12, 06:49 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Well, that escalated quickly.
Old 9/24/12, 06:52 PM
GTR Member

Name:  tapatalk_1345766076264.jpg
Views: 1396
Size:  30.9 KB
Old 9/24/12, 09:32 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Moosetang

Well, that escalated quickly.

"I stabbed a man in the heart"
"I saw that!"
Brick should probably lay low for a while.
Old 9/25/12, 12:14 AM
FR500 Member

This again? A IRS is better than a (3 link/TA) live rear axle everywhere but a perfectly smooth race track - going in a straight line or with turns. The cobbled-together nature of the SN95 version is unfortunately the "IRS standard point of reference" for Mustang enthusiasts, it seems.
If other manufacturers of performance cars/exotics can build IRS-equipped cars that can handle what their engines can dish out, I don't see how Ford cannot do the same now that the Mustang has a better chassis designed for it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Solid Axle vs. IRS