2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

The Shape of things to come...

Old 1/8/10, 01:10 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is great, and could truly give Ford a competitive advantage, and it is great to see Ford leading the way in a new, positive direction.
Old 1/8/10, 12:00 PM

Makes my '07 Edge look retro by comparison...
Old 1/9/10, 11:33 AM
FR500 Member

Personally prefer simple controls. More reliable over the long run. If Ford or any auto manufacturer has a integrated multifunction/display system that is truly intuitive (in-depth manual reading not required) and not distracting to the operator, it would be a winner. Make "the voice" sound better too.

Last edited by hi5.0; 1/9/10 at 11:34 AM.
Old 1/9/10, 11:50 AM
FR500 Member

while the tech stuff is really cool to look at, I think things are going in a dangerous direction. If all the controls are in a touchscreen, then it's guaranteed that the driver will have to take his/her eyes off of the road in order to do the simplest of adjustments.

I think it's particularly BAD that the screen can be reconfigured, since you won't know if the control you want to use is actually there or not without looking.

I think this is the worst kind of tech to have.

A much better solution might involve a head's up display with voice and or tactile input via the steering wheel. Ford needs to look at how fighter jets are set up. That's the way to go.
Old 1/9/10, 12:08 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Apparently with this system the stuff that's on the touch screen can be accessed on the main speedo gauges anyway, is voice activated (or can be) and has steering wheel controls.
It's colour based so that once you know the system, at the corner of your eye you can determine what set of controls are on the screen and ONLY some stuff will be able to be selectable while driving.

Even with less now, you probably take your eyes off the road more with current systems, compared to this new interface system.
Old 1/9/10, 02:41 PM
eci
Banned

Ugly. Screen looks good, the rest, not so much!
Old 1/9/10, 08:55 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I like where this kind of technology is going. It will sure clean up dashes, eliminate a lot of ***** and switches. Just have the center touch screen control everything... I also like voice comands that control lights, HVAC and Audio... Hey maybe even control shifting the gear range of the automatic transmission, activating cruise control and wipers... For the gauges, I like the idea of infintely configurable LCD displays in color, layout and design. It can be as thin as a notebook display or thinner and take up less space behind the dash.
Old 1/9/10, 09:47 PM
eci
Banned

Originally Posted by watchdevil
I like where this kind of technology is going. It will sure clean up dashes, eliminate a lot of ***** and switches. Just have the center touch screen control everything... I also like voice comands that control lights, HVAC and Audio... Hey maybe even control shifting the gear range of the automatic transmission, activating cruise control and wipers... For the gauges, I like the idea of infintely configurable LCD displays in color, layout and design. It can be as thin as a notebook display or thinner and take up less space behind the dash.
The problem with centralizing everything and eliminating all hard switches = single point of failure. I do NOT like it when manufacturers eliminate manual control of things, like the throttle on 05+.
Old 1/9/10, 10:10 PM
I Have No Life

That's why its not centralized. It can be changed in at least 3 places.
stearing wheel, touch screen, soft buttons.
Old 1/9/10, 10:25 PM
eci
Banned

Originally Posted by Boomer
That's why its not centralized. It can be changed in at least 3 places.
stearing wheel, touch screen, soft buttons.
I guess you don't understand what centralized means. Centralized means the control input is on the CAN bus. Doesn't matter where the buttons are, matters where the CONTROL is processed and commands issued to targets which is ONE PLACE. Single point of failure. If there are 45 "wipers on" buttons, 56 "radio on" buttons, etc etc that ALL go to CAN instead of seperate circuits, it is not a good design

"Just wait, it has stuff to deal with stuff"

Old 1/10/10, 02:29 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

The CAN network is used for module to module communication. IE the ABS module will relay the VSS to the PCM via the CAN network, rather than the VSS being hardwired to both modules.
As far as this dash goes, I will assure you the audio module will be built in, and it will work as a circuit board. I'm no electrical tech, but right now, these "hard switches" simply tell the ACM the change in resistor value, the ACM checks the VREF change from the switch you pushed, and will do the action desired based on its progamming.

You arent going to hardwire every input to every module, cars need networks to simplify diagnosis. I rather check 1 circuit than 56.

Last edited by ManEHawke; 1/10/10 at 02:31 AM.
Old 1/10/10, 08:46 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by eci
I guess you don't understand what centralized means. Centralized means the control input is on the CAN bus. Doesn't matter where the buttons are, matters where the CONTROL is processed and commands issued to targets which is ONE PLACE. Single point of failure. If there are 45 "wipers on" buttons, 56 "radio on" buttons, etc etc that ALL go to CAN instead of seperate circuits, it is not a good design

"Just wait, it has stuff to deal with stuff"

Centralized means a lot of things my friend.
Centralized control, processing, user interaction.
Really sorry I didn't read into your meaning....silly me..what was I thinking.
Old 1/13/10, 09:16 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is going to be awesome. When I asked someone back in '05 about why the MyColor didn't extend past the gauges, they said that bigger things were coming. I guess with Sync and eventually the MFT (MyFordTouch), it was a matter of time.

I'm sure we'll have the ability to set up 'performance' screens, which would be truly kick a**.
Old 1/13/10, 09:28 AM
Cobra Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Overboost

I'm sure we'll have the ability to set up 'performance' screens, which would be truly kick a**.
Kind of like what is in the Nissan GTR currently. Would be awesome to see this in the mustang.
Old 1/13/10, 09:49 AM
I Have No Life

Just look at everything else and extend it to the next level.

The ammount of customization will be awsome in future vehicles, not only that, but I can see even MORE connectivity with smart phones and the power to do a lot of things.
Old 1/14/10, 08:51 AM
Cobra Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Boomer
Just look at everything else and extend it to the next level.

The ammount of customization will be awsome in future vehicles, not only that, but I can see even MORE connectivity with smart phones and the power to do a lot of things.
Its exciting isn't it.....

But think of the possibilities.....Soon not only will you be able to brick you cell phone, but your car as well

Last edited by lowblustang00; 1/14/10 at 08:52 AM.
Old 1/17/10, 10:45 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by rhumb
Looks great to me! The Mustang doesn't have to be mired into being a retro-relic to keep its spirit. What I'd love to see is an instrument panel much more tied into all the data available via the ECU/OBDII system. The Nissan GT-R does this a bit, and the new Lexus LF-A a lot more, but I think reconfigurable electronic displays could go much, much further.

Imagine the possibilities in terms of performance tuning, maintenance and general vehicle awareness.

How's that new cold air intake system working? Dial up the air intake temp sensor reading to find out to the degree.

Engine running a touch rough? How much better to have the display tell you the #5 cylinder spark is misfiring rather than just a single CEL light glaring dumbly at you.

As anyone who's fooled with an OBD reader, especially the fancier laptop-based ones, know, there is a wealth of data already available to be readily tapped by a smart instrument panel.

Agree...but with the traditional Mustang layout...I'm betting Ford could pull it off. Something else I'd like to see is HUD display...my 535 has it and it is fantastic!
Old 1/25/10, 09:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

It would be cool if they have tactile feedback on the controls so that you can feel it when you touch a button. It doesn't make sense if you have to take your eyes off of the road to use it. One crash while granny tries to turn up the heater and Ford will be drowning in lawsuits.
Old 1/25/10, 10:16 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the 2014 could have an active screen in the middle of two analog gauges like what the new Super Duty trucks have. You could put all the aux. gauges in there and display diagnostics and performance data with the MyFord Touch setup modified for a sports car. On the SVT models, have a boost gauge, true oil temp/press and exhaust temp readouts.

I'd also love to see something like the BMW performance steering wheel. Display G-forces, lap times, etc. right on the wheel or the dash.
Old 1/30/10, 10:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

It would be neat if you could make the tach big and the speedometer small..ala Porsche.

Dave

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Shape of things to come...