Old 1/7/10, 07:10 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Shape of things to come...

2014 Mustang will likely integrate these interior changes and layout

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...-up-close.html
Old 1/7/10, 07:17 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Id have to see it and touch it to make an opinion..

Looks kinda strange to not have buttons but still have the text on the panel.

Maybe the 2020 center stack can read our minds so we can just "think" the volume louder...
Old 1/7/10, 07:37 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Hmm, have to agree I'd need to see and feel it.

There's something satisfying about a switch with a nice "click" to it,not that the Mustang currently excels in this area (albeit the 2010/11 moves the game on several notches) but if this is cheaper and more reliable to produce than "upmarket" switchgear, I guess it's a good move.

It would be nice to have something bespoke for the Mustang, but again cost would count against it.
Old 1/7/10, 07:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well i like it on looks alone, hopefully the mustang will retain the traditional speedometer/tach layout, that little computer generated one will not fly in a stang.
Old 1/7/10, 09:00 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Sure it will if it has the right look.

To me it looks absolutely stunning and adds a whole new level of what you can do in the vehicle.
Just wait to see what it can do....
Old 1/7/10, 09:10 AM
Cobra Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by xlover
well i like it on looks alone, hopefully the mustang will retain the traditional speedometer/tach layout, that little computer generated one will not fly in a stang.

A computer generated one could be completely customizable. Make it look how you want when you want. Like mycolor on steroids. It could be cool.
Old 1/7/10, 10:03 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
looks cool and modern wonder what the next coming years will have..and the mustang interiors as well...
Old 1/7/10, 10:06 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Merry Christmas Diana!
Old 1/7/10, 10:12 AM
Cobra R Member

Jalopnik has about 25 photos or so, showing it's menu options and in depth screen detail

check it out.

This sounds and looks awesome. So high tech and modern.
Can't wait to see how things shape up!

(also they have the offical press releases on the bottom of the article...)

Old 1/7/10, 10:15 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 2010MustangGT
Jalopnik has about 25 photos or so, showing it's menu options and in depth screen detail

check it out.

This sounds and looks awesome. So high tech and modern.
Can't wait to see how things shape up!

(also they have the offical press releases on the bottom of the article...)

now this is what i call awesome ...wonder though what is the price tag on all of this? ur getting so much technology that its going to be expensive?
Old 1/7/10, 10:21 AM
Cobra R Member

Nice technology, gotta say though i do enjoy tactile feedback, i like to feel something let me know i clicked or pressed it, i am sure it will grow on people definitely a step into the future!
Old 1/7/10, 10:36 AM

Looks great to me! The Mustang doesn't have to be mired into being a retro-relic to keep its spirit. What I'd love to see is an instrument panel much more tied into all the data available via the ECU/OBDII system. The Nissan GT-R does this a bit, and the new Lexus LF-A a lot more, but I think reconfigurable electronic displays could go much, much further.

Imagine the possibilities in terms of performance tuning, maintenance and general vehicle awareness.

How's that new cold air intake system working? Dial up the air intake temp sensor reading to find out to the degree.

Engine running a touch rough? How much better to have the display tell you the #5 cylinder spark is misfiring rather than just a single CEL light glaring dumbly at you.

As anyone who's fooled with an OBD reader, especially the fancier laptop-based ones, know, there is a wealth of data already available to be readily tapped by a smart instrument panel.
Old 1/7/10, 10:38 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
That's high speed.
Old 1/7/10, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by xlover
You could potentially have a wide range of instrument layouts to chose from or even customize.

Imagine a "performance" layout with a huge tack front and center surrounded by oil pressure, temp and water temp gauges and the other gauges as much smaller background readouts.

Done burning up the back roads? Then switch to highway cruise mode with a big speedo surrounded by mpg (combined average and instant), miles to destination (presuming integral GPS) and whatever else might be conducive to droning down the Interstates.

Or you could customize it an zillion and one ways to however you would like it. Like the dash layout on that old '67 GT out in the garage, dial up a display that displays those very dials.

The thing could be adaptive too, highlighting, say, the water temp gauge if that gets too hot or informing you of what actions to undertake if some component malfunction or failure is detected (rather than just a single Check Engine light)

Given the state and low cost of electronics these days -- none of this tech is beyond what you'd find on an average laptop or even iPod -- I am only surprised manufacturers haven't jumped on this before. Ford, with its Sync system, does seem to be one of the most aggressive and I think this will reap huge dividends if they keep up the pace of development.
Old 1/7/10, 11:44 AM
MOTM Committee Member

I saw this on Autoblog and was wondering if it would wind up in a stang. I hope so, I'd love to customize my gauges! I want a huge Tach right in the middle with a digital speedometer inside it (ala the ferrari 458 italia)
Old 1/7/10, 12:15 PM
MOTM Committee Member

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/07/m...deo/#continued

Here's more, including videos of it in action!
Old 1/7/10, 02:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

If you watch the demos of it it looks the like at least for the edge/mkx it is the same gauge cluster as the fusion hybrid with the large center gauge and smaller pods to each side with LCDs for the data. My preference would be the current even sized tach speedo layout with the information Pods being between them. I am all for high tech in the cars i just dont want the wimpy lil tach from from the small Pod in my 400+hp car.
Old 1/7/10, 03:25 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Looks pretty badass to me, especially how Rhumb described its potential.
Old 1/7/10, 04:43 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
theres a thread here
http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums...?showtopic=106
from back in 05, with talk of downloadable/custom gage layouts...I like 2b2's 'smileyface speedo'
Old 1/7/10, 05:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by zhovkva89
now this is what i call awesome ...wonder though what is the price tag on all of this? ur getting so much technology that its going to be expensive?
Tech gets cheaper every year. If the system cost $2000 the first MY to add, it should be around $1250 the second year, and then $750 by the third year.

Quick Reply: The Shape of things to come...