2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Saddled up for an S550 test drive, left with my hopes dashed.

Search this Thread

Old 12/11/14, 09:41 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by boomer46
This is going to be a BIG change for me. I've been up here in Alaska since 1985 driving 4WD's, hunting & fishing. The last muscle car I had was a 1965 Impala 327 with 300 HP, 3 on the tree manual tranny. I could wind that little 327 to 60 mph in 1st gear in about 4.5 seconds though, & with a good power shift into 2nd.... good ol 327's, a great nemesis for the 289 lol. Anyway, I'm moving to Missouri this spring/summer (depending when we sell our house) from Anchorage to Missouri. Our Ford dealers aren't even getting a Mustang in Anchorage here til June. I can't even sit in one. I'm going by your-all's posts. Whatever the 2015 GT has to offer will be a BIG change for me. I'm not gonna know the difference.

Congrats! I think you will love being in a Mustang . You buying up in Alaska? I had a friend buy 3 new cars right before he moved back down to Minnesota. He said that he saved a ton as there was no sales tax. That was a big chunk of savings when he was buying $100k of new cars!
Old 12/12/14, 11:39 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Kingpin2B
Nice review thank you...I'm again considering a stang as my next car(not first year tho, never again) and I'm liking the new irs...but that front end has me cringing. Like you, bulbous was the word that came to mind. Now the gt350: they NAILED it, I couldn't stop staring as it rotated in front of me at auto show. I'm actually really annoyed by just how much better the gt350 looks compared to the gt which leads me to wonder why they didn't make the gt front end like the gt350? Ok it doesnt have to be exactly the same, but not as bulbous as it is. The gt350's hood is anything but bulbous, so someone at ford design knew to address this very issue. I have to assume they were styling the GT and the GT350 at the same time so I wonder why they would make the gt and gt350 looks SO different. The conspiracy theorist inside says my assumption is wrong and the gt350 front end styling was a recent design update that might even be incorporated into the gt at refresh time. I read somewhere that the gt350 was designed with only aerodynamics in mind, everything else second..I call bs on this. I say the gt350 was the fix to the bulbous gt.

Lastly, why only 1 strip of rubber? broken diff?

"Blowfish" is the description that comes to my mind when I see the front of the new mustang. Looks a lot like one of those Siamese fighting fish, or something. They fixed it with the GT350 - fixed the hood too.

I have not driven a '15 GT PP yet. I love the raucous feeling of my '12 GT with the Ford Racing suspension, so that will be my point of comparison. It just feels fast, and engaging. IF I become interested in a '15 or '16, it will likely be a GT350 or some other stripped-ish down performance version.

On appearances alone, I am would not move out of my car.
Old 12/13/14, 04:59 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
I thought the 2015 Mustang would win Motortrend car of the year, but the VW Golf won it . The main thing they (Motortrend) didn't like about the Mustang was the loose handling. Just saying.........................
Old 12/13/14, 10:08 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by David Young
I thought the 2015 Mustang would win Motortrend car of the year, but the VW Golf won it . The main thing they (Motortrend) didn't like about the Mustang was the loose handling. Just saying.........................
Thought the F-150 would win TOTY too. Clearly Ford didn't pay their advertising bills this year lol
Old 12/13/14, 10:37 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by David Young
Originally Posted by laserred38
Thought the F-150 would win TOTY too. Clearly Ford didn't pay their advertising bills this year lol
They (F-150 & S550) have a chance at a more prestigious award...Both made the Final Three for TOTH & COTY.

The other cars on the short list were the Acura TLX, Audi A3, Chrysler 200, Honda Fit, Hyundai Sonata, Mercedes-Benz C class and Toyota Camry.

The other trucks on the short list were the Audi Q3, Chevrolet Tahoe, GMC Canyon, Lexus NX, Mercedes-Benz GLA class, Nissan Murano, Porsche Macan, Subaru Outback and Toyota Highlander.

North American Car & Truck of the Year
Old 12/13/14, 06:11 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
True.
Old 12/13/14, 07:39 PM

Just a decent set of shocks away!
Old 12/14/14, 04:46 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by LQQK
The 1st drive I was comparing the 15 to my 12 Boss 302, it was all about the way I felt when I stomped on the gas and would feel Gs. This was my error, the Boss was all about performance + handling.

It (15) has the Fun factor not Boss fun factor and will be more enjoyable as a DD. The Boss was more of a Thrill ride where you get an adrenalin rush at every stop light, W/O the creature comfort toys loaded in the 15. I want those Bells & Whistles + an adrenalin rush (GT 500-10, Boss-9, S550-8.5)

Guess I'm at the point in my life, where I still wanna hang on to that Muscle/Pony car look (2-Door not 4-Door Charger Type), Sound (Harley Davidson not Honda), Power (V8 not 4 or 6 Banger) The GT PP Mustang does enough of that and is a bargin, now that Ford added the much need candy in the cockpit, especially for us aging Baby-Boomers.

When the GT 350s or Mach 1s hit the showrooms, then those who want that ***** To The Walls Rush, will have that choice.

HARLEY, over a HONDA? I guess you have never heard a Honda RC 51, it's race V-Twin sounds like an old Ford 427, the sweetest sounding motorcycle I've ever owned!!

Last edited by BOSS MAN 13; 12/14/14 at 04:48 AM.
Old 12/14/14, 07:07 AM
Team Mustang Source

That my friend is the real truth. VW shooting to become #1 auto manufacturer by next year.
Old 12/15/14, 06:13 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The Boss 302 was one of the best mustangs ever built. I have a feeling that anyone who currently owns a Boss, is going to be as happy as a pig in $hit. Ford stops productions on one of their best Pony production lines, I can only imagine what they'll be worth in a few years time.
Old 1/19/15, 09:37 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by JoeMidnight
The Boss 302 was one of the best mustangs ever built. I have a feeling that anyone who currently owns a Boss, is going to be as happy as a pig in $hit. Ford stops productions on one of their best Pony production lines, I can only imagine what they'll be worth in a few years time.

Stopped at a dealer the other day to look at the '15 GT's....but there was a '13 BOSS 302 GHIG on the used lot. 26K miles on the ODO and the asking was $44K.... not even a SECA. That's about the same as new msrp.

So, this gave me a great chance to stand beside a new '15 GT with the PP and the '13. I went back and forth, and I began to notice that the body panels on the '15 didn't fit so well. The '13 still looked killer, muscular, all business. All Mustang.

Still not smitten with the '15, altho I haven't driven one...yet.

Also, a '15 GT rolled up beside my window the other day and it was very quiet. Hardly a burble... What's with that?
Old 1/19/15, 10:05 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by MRGTX
I'm one of the folks here who could be consided squarely on the fence about this car. I really, really love my S197 but the improvements and the new equipment in the 2015 have me drooling. I can comfortably afford a new car...but I would have to finance the bulk of the difference between my 2011 trade so there would be some sacrifice involved.
Ok, this won't be a popular post... but...

If you have to finance the new car, then you can't afford it. You can afford it when you can pay cash and not one second sooner.

Note 1: This does not mean you SHOULD pay cash, I financed my current truck at 1.9%, at that rate I'd be crazy not to... but I can pay it off any time I want...

If you HAVE to finance, then you shouldn't buy it unless you have no other choice because you have to have a working car. It is a depreciating asset, never buy those unless you have the money.

*takes father hat off now*

Note 2: You can do anything you want, I'm just telling you what is in your financial best interest, you're free to join the rest of America in debt.

Note 3: Houses are different, you have to have a place to live and they generally appreciate in value, so financing them does make sense, to a point.
Old 1/19/15, 10:10 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by MRGTX
Driving the car...left me totally flat. It feels solid, stiff, competent. Steering was heavier than the s197 and slightly more tactile but still very "electric" feeling. The shifter action is improved...much crisper through the gates. Brakes felt nice with a much firmer pedal than what I'm used to in my own Brembo package car. Suspension improvements did show themselves when I turned down a rough side road. Yep. It's much better behaved and this could conceivably be a huge benefit on a race course.
Having driven both cars, one just like your old one and the new one (both automatics), I think you are correct here, the older model was more... of a driver's experience...

The new one? More of a comfortable daily driver...

You know what? The old one wasn't selling like Mustangs usually do, I predict this new one will outsell the old one over the next 5 years. Time will tell, but the Mustang has joined the modern world. It will lose some fans in the process, but it has a chance to gain a whole lot of new ones.
Old 1/19/15, 10:26 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Axe
I don't know - I didn't think the EB felt all that different from my 13 v6, which didn't feel all that different from my 08 GT. I think the EB is a great car, though I did end up getting a GT this time around. Truthfully I would've gotten another v6 if they had it with the nice interior. Regardless, after one week with the 2015, and after having 3 S197s - those things are dinosaurs! Do not miss even a little bit.
I've posted more than once now that I think it is a mistake to not offer the Premium trim level with the V6.
Old 1/20/15, 07:20 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by FlyTexas
I've posted more than once now that I think it is a mistake to not offer the Premium trim level with the V6.
That is my feeling exactly....won't buy the EB, won't buy a down graded interior and don't need a GT.
Old 1/20/15, 08:47 AM

If you have to finance the new car, then you can't afford it. You can afford it when you can pay cash and not one second sooner.

Note 1: This does not mean you SHOULD pay cash, I financed my current truck at 1.9%, at that rate I'd be crazy not to... but I can pay it off any time I want...

If you HAVE to finance, then you shouldn't buy it unless you have no other choice because you have to have a working car. It is a depreciating asset, never buy those unless you have the money.
I think your point is good in general terms, but one has to appreciate the fact that so much car buying is irrational anyway. We're talking a mustang here. The premium you pay to get a bigger engine and less basic car functionality (like usable rear seats for adults) is far greater than the hundreds of bucks you spend in financing at rates as low as they are now.

Yes, financing when you don't have the cash to pay off the loan has some degree of risk. But so does paying cash (or financing even if you have the cash) if you don't have substantially more cash than the purchase price.

That said, I still think you've made a very prudent point. People generally do quite obviously tend to buy over their means with cars. Once someone saves up for the car they want, their tastes get fancier and such. But having cash doesn't necessarily keep you out of trouble unless you've got a good cushion too. Any you can always buy a used Yaris or something
Old 1/20/15, 11:48 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by NewToMustang
I think your point is good in general terms, but one has to appreciate the fact that so much car buying is irrational anyway. We're talking a mustang here. The premium you pay to get a bigger engine and less basic car functionality (like usable rear seats for adults) is far greater than the hundreds of bucks you spend in financing at rates as low as they are now.

You are correct, a lot of car buying is completely irrational, in terms of what you *need*.

That being said, there is no crime in buying what you *want*, if you have the cash. The mistake is in buying what you *want* if you DON'T have the cash.

The finance charge is as close as it really matters, zero... The interest isn't the issue, the issue is the lack of savings and reserves for a rainy day and for retirement...

If you want a shiny new Mustang with leather and a V8, is that practical or rational in terms of *need*? Heck no! But who cares, it is FUN! If you have the money, go have FUN and enjoy yourself.

AFTER you have money in the bank, savings for a rainy day, the credit cards paid off, equity in the home, etc. The mistake is that people do this backwards, they buy the shiny new toy while trying to get out of debt, financing that new toy at cheap interest.

Yes, financing when you don't have the cash to pay off the loan has some degree of risk. But so does paying cash (or financing even if you have the cash) if you don't have substantially more cash than the purchase price.
If I may be blunt?

If you don't have a lot more than $30-40K cash in the bank, you shouldn't be buying a shiny brand new Mustang, or any car for that matter. This is the grand mistake that so many people make, trying to keep up with the Jones and have the new shiny.

What it really creates is a lot of poor people. It isn't taught in school, which is a shame, but the reality is that we have a lot of fifty thousand dollar millionaires in this county. The person on your street that squeezed into the lease on the pretty new car, so everyone has one. Almost none of them can afford it however.

That said, I still think you've made a very prudent point. People generally do quite obviously tend to buy over their means with cars. Once someone saves up for the car they want, their tastes get fancier and such. But having cash doesn't necessarily keep you out of trouble unless you've got a good cushion too. Any you can always buy a used Yaris or something
I used to be very guilty of this, so I am not trying to pass judgement (even if it comes across that way on the Internet). In my 20's, I made good money, I was single, I bought a new car every year for 4 years in a row. Lord was that a complete waste of money. If I had driven one truck for 4 years instead and put the rest of the money in the bank, it would be over a hundred thousand dollars today.

One of my favorite exercises is to take college kids and do a math challenge with them. Take $10 a week from the age of 20, put it into a Roth IRA on an investment plan that has a DRIP (dividend reinvestment plan), and leave it there until they are 60, only increasing the $10 per week by the estimated rate of inflation over time.

If the money earns the historical rate of return of 11% of the stock market, the total number usually surprises them by a LOT.

Now do that at age 30 but do it with the price of that new shiny. You're driving your future paid off house.
Old 1/20/15, 12:08 PM

If you don't have a lot more than $30-40K cash in the bank, you shouldn't be buying a shiny brand new Mustang, or any car for that matter. This is the grand mistake that so many people make, trying to keep up with the Jones and have the new shiny.
I really agree with almost everything you're saying. The numbers are the numbers. My only point of difference is to suggest that a lot of the issues of money management might not necessarily be tied to cash vs finance.

Even if you have the cash on hand to buy a mustang and have an emergency fund, you're still subject to the lost opportunity of investing that money. And even if you pay cash but swap out cars every other year, you'll be taking big losses. The biggest way to save money on cars, buy or lease, is to buy one and drive it as long as possible. And buy the least pricey car you think you'll realistically keep the longest. Anything outside of that framework is an indulgence (which is totally fine) that comes with costs.

But cash or finance, you're still using money you could have sunk in an IRA, 401k, or whatever else. Practically speaking, the difference to me is that you can't let the financing trick you into a more expensive car versus what you really want to spend now. Which makes your advice great for those who may not have the best discipline.

For what it's worth, I put 30% of my before tax income into retirement, which is very aggressive, and I still get torn up inside knowing that every $1k I spend on consumer items now could easily be $10k down the road. But I know I have a good plan for the future, so I get over it.
Old 1/20/15, 12:59 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You are correct, a lot of car buying is completely irrational, in terms of what you *need*.

That being said, there is no crime in buying what you *want*, if you have the cash. The mistake is in buying what you *want* if you DON'T have the cash.

The finance charge is as close as it really matters, zero... The interest isn't the issue, the issue is the lack of savings and reserves for a rainy day and for retirement...

If you want a shiny new Mustang with leather and a V8, is that practical or rational in terms of *need*? Heck no! But who cares, it is FUN! If you have the money, go have FUN and enjoy yourself.

AFTER you have money in the bank, savings for a rainy day, the credit cards paid off, equity in the home, etc. The mistake is that people do this backwards, they buy the shiny new toy while trying to get out of debt, financing that new toy at cheap interest.

If I may be blunt?

What it really creates is a lot of poor people. It isn't taught in school, which is a shame, but the reality is that we have a lot of fifty thousand dollar millionaires in this county. The person on your street that squeezed into the lease on the pretty new car, so everyone has one. Almost none of them can afford it however.

I used to be very guilty of this, so I am not trying to pass judgement (even if it comes across that way on the Internet). In my 20's, I made good money, I was single, I bought a new car every year for 4 years in a row. Lord was that a complete waste of money. If I had driven one truck for 4 years instead and put the rest of the money in the bank, it would be over a hundred thousand dollars today.

One of my favorite exercises is to take college kids and do a math challenge with them. Take $10 a week from the age of 20, put it into a Roth IRA on an investment plan that has a DRIP (dividend reinvestment plan), and leave it there until they are 60, only increasing the $10 per week by the estimated rate of inflation over time.

If the money earns the historical rate of return of 11% of the stock market, the total number usually surprises them by a LOT.

Now do that at age 30 but do it with the price of that new shiny. You're driving your future paid off house.
Well , thank goodness people don't listen to this advice about never buying a mustang unless they have the cash in full for it, money put away for rainy day and equity in their home. There wouldn't be any mustangs or majority of cars around. Heck, majority car manufacturers wouldn't be around.
Old 1/20/15, 02:20 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,965 Likes on 1,590 Posts

*takes father hat off now*

Note 2: You can do anything you want, I'm just telling you what is in your financial best interest, you're free to join the rest of America in debt.

Note 3: Houses are different, you have to have a place to live and they generally appreciate in value, so financing them does make sense, to a point.
Fly ! Perhaps I'm misinterpreting your post, but if not ? First off, what if someone isn't in the same position as you are who's able to pay off their car anytime they want, are you then suggesting they shouldn't even bother buying the car at all ?

For example, In my situation it took 5 years to pay my car off because I just didn't have the type of disposable income to afford making higher payments on a shorter 3 year finance term, let alone have the ability to pay for the car with cash..

Although I didn't have a large cash deposit to put down, I did have $12,500 in equity via trade in.. So I suppose you can consider that as the same as cash

So despite being successful in completing the terms of my 5 year finance agreement, does this according to your definition mean I wasn't financially able to afford purchasing my car ?

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 1/21/15 at 02:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Saddled up for an S550 test drive, left with my hopes dashed.