2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Reuters: Sneak Peek week of 10/21, unveil in December

Search this Thread

Old 10/21/13, 06:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK you caught me. I punished myself by watching the Tigers and Lions all year!
Old 10/21/13, 07:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Manbo
Pretty sure they already said they were dropping the weight down around 400lbs
That was the report from one news source but not confirmed by Ford.
Old 10/21/13, 09:20 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
That was the report from one news source but not confirmed by Ford.
Weight reduction is the new age horsepower war. Basically it gets companies an easier way to increase performance and increase fuel efficiency while keeping HP down.

So I won't be surprised to see a good 200lbs lifted from the mustang.
Old 10/21/13, 09:43 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Ethanjbeau
Weight reduction is the new age horsepower war. Basically it gets companies an easier way to increase performance and increase fuel efficiency while keeping HP down.

So I won't be surprised to see a good 200lbs lifted from the mustang.
Sorry, my comment meant to say the 400lb figure was not confirmed by Ford. I believe there has been plenty of comments regarding weight reduction in general from representatives of the company on this new Mustang.

My personal guess is that they got the weight down enough to offset any substantial increase from the IRS and hopefully show a net reduction on the GT models. I think we will see more based on the 4-cylinder engine.
Old 10/21/13, 10:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2
I could see them still inviting a select group of journalists to view the car to have their articles prepared prior to release embargo... especially if it is a small group of top writers there is minimal chance of leaks vs showing the entire dealer base where there will almost certainly be leaks... i believe when the 14s came out we had an almost exact description of the car within 2-3 days after the dealer mtg.
Old 10/21/13, 01:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by FordBlueHeart
Not going to happen. This render is based off from a GT500.
Which in turn the 2015 is also based. The excellent Chazcron renderings, although from CAD drawings, don't tell the whole design either. CADs are emotionless. They lack the sculpture, detail and feeling the car will have. That photoshop tries to bridge the gap.

The devil is in the details. Google "CAD 1965 Mustang" and you'll see what I mean. Even after 40+ years some CADs still aren't right! Or look at the "authorized" blueprint 1/25 scale model of your favorite car......often still off. In either case there is no guessing involved as with the 2015 Mustang.
Old 10/21/13, 06:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

This is further proof to my theory the released front end pics are a ploy to throw people off the sent of what the real car will look like. Note the Fusion and Mustang are made in the same plant.. They could easily borrow parts to put on the front for the test track.. We will see.
Old 10/21/13, 07:53 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenCars
This is further proof to my theory the released front end pics are a ploy to throw people off the sent of what the real car will look like. Note the Fusion and Mustang are made in the same plant.. They could easily borrow parts to put on the front for the test track.. We will see.
If this came to be ford would be the biggest troll in a long time.

But how does that article help solidify your theory to throw us off the "sent" of the car?
Old 10/21/13, 08:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by rmurer
If this came to be ford would be the biggest troll in a long time.

But how does that article help solidify your theory to throw us off the "sent" of the car?

Because they are still keeping a very tight lid on things even after the so called leaked photo's...
Old 10/21/13, 09:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Note the Fusion and Mustang are made in the same plant.. They could easily borrow parts to put on the front for the test track.. We will see.
The current Mustang prototypes we've seen have likely been built in the pilot plant, not Flat Rock. Even if they had been, it would not seem to be feasible at this point in the development process to attempt this. There is less than 7 months to the time rumored for production release. Fit and finish testing, production process design, tooling for parts, etc., are not short cycle-time items, at least as I understand them from conversations with various Ford folks I've talked to over the years.
Old 10/22/13, 06:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

So far from what I have seen looks like a S197 with a Fusion looking front. Hardly a major change from what they were eluding to. Time will tell, but I have to say they are keeping people guessing.
Old 10/22/13, 10:39 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

I am loving the suspense. Go Ford.
Old 10/22/13, 11:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They say in Vegas you can bet on anything and everything...
I wonder what the odds are on "mule face" being the end deal, released in December?
Old 10/22/13, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
The current Mustang prototypes we've seen have likely been built in the pilot plant, not Flat Rock. Even if they had been, it would not seem to be feasible at this point in the development process to attempt this. There is less than 7 months to the time rumored for production release. Fit and finish testing, production process design, tooling for parts, etc., are not short cycle-time items, at least as I understand them from conversations with various Ford folks I've talked to over the years.
You've heard correct. Several tools have long lead time, sometimes over 6 months. That's just for the design.
Old 10/22/13, 06:08 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by mister.peabodyjunior
You've heard correct. Several tools have long lead time, sometimes over 6 months. That's just for the design.
Welcome over
Old 10/22/13, 06:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Indeed welcome!
Old 10/22/13, 06:27 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Manbo
Pretty sure they already said they were dropping the weight down around 400lbs
I'll believe it when I see it, as I understand it the S550 is an evolution of the current S-197 car and not a clean sheet design. I'm not doubting Ford can get some significant weight savings in there but I'm thinking no more than 200 pounds give or take.

Might be more but it all depends on what they are trying to achieve. The C7 Corvette for example is heavier than its predecessor with much of that weight gain attributed to trying to please picky buff rag editors and consumers.
Old 10/22/13, 06:54 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Welcome to TMS.
Old 10/22/13, 10:50 PM
GT Member

Man, just give it up already.
Old 10/23/13, 06:47 AM
Cobra R Member

So far from what I have seen looks like a S197 with a Fusion looking front. Hardly a major change from what they were eluding to. Time will tell, but I have to say they are keeping people guessing.
The front end may be similar to the fusion but it's not just a fusion front end grafted on to the car. It is clearly a unique front end that looks more 2014 Mustang than fusion IMO. As far as the S197 body, how can you tell the only part of the car that anyone has gotten a good look at is the front end! If your not liking the look I suggest you pick up a 2014 model before its to late. They have smoking deals on all models right now.

Quick Reply: Reuters: Sneak Peek week of 10/21, unveil in December