2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Question About Paddle Shifting vs Sport Mode

Search this Thread

Old 3/26/16, 04:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question About Paddle Shifting vs Sport Mode

In all this time I still don't understand the proper use of the sport mode (S) vs using the paddles. All I do know, is that it gives the car a nice punch on acceleration! Much more brisk and crisp shifts. When I'm using Sport Mode, and it comes to downshifting when I slow down, why does the engine RPM surge as it goes into a lower gear? It does not do this with the paddles...if I'm up in 6 and I slow down the indicator on the cluster will actually show it going down gears but no surge. Is Sport Mode only for acceleration, and I should shift up to D once I'm at full speed? And is it just me or is the paddles awkward to use when turning? If I start up from a stop at a corner and I turn, the wheel is turned so that the "+" paddle is not near my right hand and I usually want to go into 2nd before I complete the turn so I end up fumbling my fingers around till I find itall the way on the other side. Maybe I'm just a noob because I've never driven a manual car.
Old 3/26/16, 08:33 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
There is a reason automatics in sports cars are "lovingly" called "autotragic".
Old 3/27/16, 06:50 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
When will the internets settle the debate on manual v automatic? I bet it'll be this one.
Old 3/31/16, 08:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have had the same questions as the original poster and even called my ford dealer, they didnt have a clue either.

In S (sport mode) the car is certainly must more quicker off the line but yes when it comes to slowing down the engine takes forever to spin down, what's up with that?

I have sort of given up on sport mode, half my driving is just around town and the S spool down is horrid for stop and go traffic.

As far as the paddle shifters go, have never used them, told that the automatic will shift faster anyway and that they aren't the greatest paddles in the world either, why bother.

Terry
Old 3/31/16, 09:04 AM
GT Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Pony07
In all this time I still don't understand the proper use of the sport mode (S) vs using the paddles. All I do know, is that it gives the car a nice punch on acceleration! Much more brisk and crisp shifts. When I'm using Sport Mode, and it comes to downshifting when I slow down, why does the engine RPM surge as it goes into a lower gear? It does not do this with the paddles...if I'm up in 6 and I slow down the indicator on the cluster will actually show it going down gears but no surge. Is Sport Mode only for acceleration, and I should shift up to D once I'm at full speed? And is it just me or is the paddles awkward to use when turning? If I start up from a stop at a corner and I turn, the wheel is turned so that the "+" paddle is not near my right hand and I usually want to go into 2nd before I complete the turn so I end up fumbling my fingers around till I find itall the way on the other side. Maybe I'm just a noob because I've never driven a manual car.
Okay, the answer is that you are driving one of the best Auto trans on the market in the US. When you drive in S the trans is essentially a manual. It locks the torque converter in 3rd, thru 6th gear (not sure about 2nd). It will match rev when downshifting like you would if you had a clutch.

Now, when driving around town you need to be mindful of the fact the paddles are there for high speed cornering not just everyday corners. If you were on a twisty fast road you wouldn't often turn the wheel far enough to lose the paddles.
The S position is for spirited handling hence the hard shifts, the rev matching, and the paddle position. But as always the aftermarket offers extensions to help you reach the paddles.