2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

MT-82 in 2015+

Search this Thread

Old 3/29/16, 06:52 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
MT-82 in 2015+

So what's the consensus on the MT-82 in the S550's? Are they just as bad/problematic as the ones in the S197's? I'm wondering if any changes were made. The MT-82 is notoriously one of the worst aspects of the previous generation Mustang.
Old 3/29/16, 06:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
I was "ok" with the mt82 in my 14. I've been very pleased with the mt82 in my 15, so far so good! Can't tell you what changes if any were made. I do read though on the heavy 15 forum that some people are changing fluids in the attempt to make the action smoother.
Old 3/29/16, 10:48 AM
Legacy TMS Member Moderator

Received 531 Likes on 231 Posts
I think shifter problems were the most common and the S550s I've driven seem to have much better shifters than my 2011.
Old 3/29/16, 10:58 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I believe there was a change in the articulated rod that connects the shifter to the transmission. I think the mgw video reviews this I their video about their new shifter.
Old 3/30/16, 06:53 AM
GT Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
When I first got my 15 I would miss a shift to 3rd or 5th about 25% of the time when driving aggressively. The only upgrade available at the time was the tranny mount inserts, I got one from Steeda. It solved my issue and I haven't missed a shift since, it was the best $30 I have spent on the car. The factory mount is very soft and you can easily move it with your hand, the inserts does a good job of restricting the motion without adding any noticeable NVH.

I picked my car up in January and the tranny was quite notchy from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 when it was cold and would get better when warmed up. At 5K miles I swapped the fluid to Royal Purple SyncroMax. It made a very noticeable improvement in the notchiness when cold and it is as smooth as a hot knife through butter when warm.

A lot of people rave over how much the shifting is improved with their favorite aftermarket shifter. Being a mechanical engineer I can't rationalize how they can make the kind of improvements that are being claimed. The gates and shift forks that are responsible for the feel of the shifting are inside the tranny and are not influenced by the shifter. Until I can actually drive a car with an aftermarket shifter I will not consider one.
The following users liked this post:
Coyote5-0 (3/30/16)
Old 3/30/16, 05:48 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
There was a design change in the shape of the synchros for the S550. I think the cut of the synchro teeth is now angled (or differently angled) for easier engagement.

Originally Posted by dgc333
A lot of people rave over how much the shifting is improved with their favorite aftermarket shifter. Being a mechanical engineer I can't rationalize how they can make the kind of improvements that are being claimed. The gates and shift forks that are responsible for the feel of the shifting are inside the tranny and are not influenced by the shifter. Until I can actually drive a car with an aftermarket shifter I will not consider one.
This is something that has been troubling me as well. My only shifter mod is Barton shifter bracket
Old 3/31/16, 06:51 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
There was a design change in the shape of the synchros for the S550. I think the cut of the synchro teeth is now angled (or differently angled) for easier engagement.

Where did you get this information? When my sh*tbox MT82 inevitably takes a dump, I think I'll have those newer synchros put in
Old 3/31/16, 09:31 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
"The Getrag-supplied MT82 six-speed manual gets revised low-drag synchros and a new, stiffer linkage to improve shift quality. The manual’s shifter also switches from pushing down to access the reverse gate to a lift-up collar on the shifter. (The new style is a global Ford characteristic; the new Mustang will be sold overseas.)"

http://blog.caranddriver.com/2015-fo...boost-engines/
The following users liked this post:
Coyote5-0 (3/31/16)
Old 3/31/16, 02:58 PM
V6 Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
When I first got my 15 I would miss a shift to 3rd or 5th about 25% of the time when driving aggressively.
Me too every once in a while.. I figured it was because I haven't had an MT in a long time and was rusty..
Old 4/1/16, 08:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
The only rational explanation I've heard so far is explained in Blowfish Racing's thread, which is two years old now, posted in another forum (I think), and related to the 2012 - 2014.

Anyway, the hypothesis primarily blames the mounting of the shifter. The shifter is mounted to the body whereas the transmission is not. Under acceleration, the transmission rotates, but the body (and hence the shifter) does not. This misalignment is blamed for the poor shift quality. Blowfish sells a bracket that mounts the shifter rigidly to the transmission so you can disconnect it from the body of the car. Now the shifter rotates with the transmission and missed shifts are said to be alleviated. Shortly thereafter, MGW updated their shifter with a very rigid shift rod linkage which would presumably achieve the same goal.

The people who say a new shifter fixed their problems, I believe them, but not because it corrects a mechanical deficiency. The stock bracket is so soft that there is a lot of room for improvement in shifter feel, presumably at the expense of NVH. I think these people just become better at shifting their car because of the better tactile feedback of the aftermarket shifter.
Old 4/1/16, 05:39 PM
GT Member

I can see how mounting the shifter to the tranny would improve the shifting accuracy, same kind of thing as the insert I have restricting the transmissions motion.

But two of the more popular shifters mount to the floor of the car just like the stock shifter and one of the most popular the Steeda Triax requires you to reuse the multi piece linkage from the stock shifter. I have even read where people have switched from the Blowfish bracket with the stock shifter to one of the floor mounted after market shifters and claimed night and day improvements.

Only the MGW shifter is mounted totally to the transmission and has no connection to the floor. This is the only one that makes any sense to me.

I really wonder how much is actual improvement and how much is imagined. If it is made of anodized billet aluminum it has to be better, right?
Old 4/1/16, 07:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
I can see how mounting the shifter to the tranny would improve the shifting accuracy, same kind of thing as the insert I have restricting the transmissions motion.

But two of the more popular shifters mount to the floor of the car just like the stock shifter and one of the most popular the Steeda Triax requires you to reuse the multi piece linkage from the stock shifter. I have even read where people have switched from the Blowfish bracket with the stock shifter to one of the floor mounted after market shifters and claimed night and day improvements.

Only the MGW shifter is mounted totally to the transmission and has no connection to the floor. This is the only one that makes any sense to me.

I really wonder how much is actual improvement and how much is imagined. If it is made of anodized billet aluminum it has to be better, right?
Well, those are great points .

I remembered a few other things people have blamed over the years for the shift quality, let's try making a list:

1. The low-durometer shifter bracket
2. Transmission rotation under acceleration
3. Multi-piece shift linkage
4. Welding slag remaining on the shift linkage/cup
5. Some clutches not fully disengaged despite the pedal being completely depressed (obviously not related to the shifter)

Maybe the combination of issues 1-4 can only be solved by replacing the shifter as well as the bracket.
Old 4/2/16, 05:48 AM
GT Member

The one thing all the after market shifters have in common is they have reduced shift throw. Simple physics dictate that when you reduce the throw you increase the effort. So a 20% decrease in shifter throw comes with a 20% increase in effort. I wonder if that increase in effort gives a sense of improved precision.
Old 4/2/16, 07:23 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
The Steeda Tri-Ax has been very popular among the S550 crowd ... there are plenty of positive reviews out there & some with testimonials of why they switched from the competitors to our unit.

This is a great video showing how the Steeda looks in action:

our Tri-Ax shifter features rigid mounting in the front and Steeda poly bushing in the rear, virtually eliminating slop and shifter deflection. With less deflection you will feel a much more direct gear change. The assembly is transmission and chassis-mounted so you don't get the 'walking' effect of a fully transmission-mounted assembly, all while still gaining a more rigid shifter feel. - See more at: http://www.steeda.com/steeda-s550-mu....iWWXlfra.dpuf
Happy to close the gap & put you in contact with our lead engineer who design it - just shoot me a note!

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 4/2/16, 12:52 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
5. Some clutches not fully disengaged despite the pedal being completely depressed (obviously not related to the shifter)
I honestly think this may be happening with mine, but how do you confirm this?
Old 4/2/16, 01:32 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
It's quite easy. Put it in first, and with the clutch hard to the floor, Rev the engine to at least 5k rpms. Of course this should be done on nice, level ground. If it moves, the clutch is not fully disengaged, if it doesn't then it is.
Old 4/2/16, 02:11 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
The Steeda Tri-Ax has been very popular among the S550 crowd ... there are plenty of positive reviews out there & some with testimonials of why they switched from the competitors to our unit.

This is a great video showing how the Steeda looks in action: Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dor-o-5obZA

Happy to close the gap & put you in contact with our lead engineer who design it - just shoot me a note!

Best Regards,

TJ
I have read the testimonials and I have no doubt that the Triax is a great product but as a mechanical engineer I just can't believe some of the claims that are being made about it or the Barton or the MGW.

But if you want to prove me wrong just send a shifter my way. I would be happy to install it and give it a go.
Old 4/2/16, 08:34 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
I have read the testimonials and I have no doubt that the Triax is a great product but as a mechanical engineer I just can't believe some of the claims that are being made about it or the Barton or the MGW.

But if you want to prove me wrong just send a shifter my way. I would be happy to install it and give it a go.
Send me your contact info, I can send to my sales manager & see what he says in return for a review - you can send to tim@steeda.co.

Best Regards,

TJ