2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Is performance pack a must?

Search this Thread

Old 5/15/18, 11:10 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is performance pack a must?

The wife and I have been seriously considering trading our 2012 GT 401a 3.73 coupe for an 18 GT convertible. There’s a really good deal available on a demo with 1500 miles. It’s a totally loaded 10 speed except for performance pack and the active valve exhaust. I can’t find any road tests or even YouTube reviews of anything but a performance pack.

Anybody here with a non performance pack have any insight? Would we be sorry for not getting it? I’m concerned about the 3.15 rear end making the car feel weak and not snappy where I’m used to a 3.73 manual.
Old 5/15/18, 08:00 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
I've driven the '15 3.31. If felt soft and slow (tho more comfortable and refined) compared to my '14 GT Track Pack.
2 thoughts:
1) I would say you don't really need a PP unless you tack the car
2) 3.31 is not optimal on a newer GTs. They have gotten heavier after all. You could just buy it and spend a few hundred $ to swap the gears to 3.73s
Old 5/15/18, 08:47 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 588 Likes on 422 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
I've driven the '15 3.31. If felt soft and slow (tho more comfortable and refined) compared to my '14 GT Track Pack.
2 thoughts:
1) I would say you don't really need a PP unless you tack the car
2) 3.31 is not optimal on a newer GTs. They have gotten heavier after all. You could just buy it and spend a few hundred $ to swap the gears to 3.73s
RE the 15 you drove, you also have to account that the 18 has the 10 speed, and from what I've read its got some seriously low ratios in the first few gears, and the ratios are going to be closer together all the way up because of the number of them, keeping it in the powerband better.

Last edited by Rather B.Blown; 5/15/18 at 08:48 PM.
Old 5/16/18, 07:50 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
That is a good point. Plus the one I drove was a manual.
Old 5/16/18, 09:07 AM
V6 Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
I have a '18 GT premium w/o the PP. The A10 is amazing and will not disappoint. The PP for street use is way too expensive and the tire / wheel issues are more added misery. Black rims that get stone chipped, high wear Michelin Pilot Sports that may last 20K, non rotational, staggered tires, and no possibility of having a spare tire on board. Yes the 6 piston Brembos are a delight but the 4 piston standard brakes are very strong and look like they came off a Boss 302.
Old 5/16/18, 09:10 AM
V6 Member

Also the stock exhaust in the 2018 is perfect except for early morning blast offs. My neighbors seem to love it they tell me. Not sure if the active exhaust will be that durable in the long run. I would hate to have it stick in the quiet blocked mode in the years ahead due to heat, corrosion, and number of cycles.
Old 5/16/18, 10:33 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by roger blose
I have a '18 GT premium w/o the PP. The A10 is amazing and will not disappoint. The PP for street use is way too expensive and the tire / wheel issues are more added misery. Black rims that get stone chipped, high wear Michelin Pilot Sports that may last 20K, non rotational, staggered tires, and no possibility of having a spare tire on board. Yes the 6 piston Brembos are a delight but the 4 piston standard brakes are very strong and look like they came off a Boss 302.
Have you done a 0-60 on it? The automatics are supposedly capable of sub 4 second 0-60, but I’m sure those tests are all with the performance pack. We haven’t driven one of the new 10 speeds yet, so I’m just curious if it’s going to be faster than our manual 12. I’m glad the stock exhaust is better now. It sucked on our 12. I’m not looking to make anybody’s ears bleed, but I do want to hear it. Running an x pipe and GT 500 axle backs now, and it’s just adequate. I’m not really concerned about the tire wear since this is strictly a weekend car. I bet we don’t put 10000 miles on our current Mustang in 4 years. We were considering a 13-14 GT 500 also, but I think the 18 GT will be a lot more livable car, and the wife used to have a convertible when she was a teenager and has been feeling nostalgic. Lol
Old 5/17/18, 08:15 AM
V6 Member

I am still in the break in mode but I did try out the "drag race mode" twice and it chirps the tires between 2nd and again at 3rd gear. Just point and hold on for a thrilling ride. The manual mode is so cool with the rev matching on down shifts. I also own a FOX 5 speed stick and this A10 is just as entertaining with all of the different driving modes at the flick of a toggle.
Old 5/17/18, 10:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,019 Posts
I have a '18 GT premium w/o the PP. The A10 is amazing and will not disappoint. The PP for street use is way too expensive . . . high wear Michelin Pilot Sports that may last 20K, non rotational, staggered tires, . . . . Yes the 6 piston Brembos are a delight . . . .
Sounds like the PP is definitely NOT a "must" for a street car, but would be really really cool for a track and street car

. . . The manual mode is so cool with the rev matching on down shifts. I also own a FOX 5 speed stick and this A10 is just as entertaining with all of the different driving modes at the flick of a toggle.
The A10 sounds like it would be awesome for a track car, even though it feels a little like "cheating." Can you get the A10 with the PP?
Old 5/17/18, 11:12 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 588 Likes on 422 Posts
Originally Posted by Bert

The A10 sounds like it would be awesome for a track car, even though it feels a little like "cheating." Can you get the A10 with the PP?
Yes. Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords tested one a few months ago at the strip. Fully loaded and ran an 11.83 @ 119 mph bone stock. Not sure about how it does at the track.
Old 5/18/18, 08:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You can get the level 1 PP with the A10, and with or without the Magna ride. The level 2 PP only comes with the 6 speed manual and Magna ride.
Old 5/18/18, 03:19 PM
V6 Member

I am not too thrilled with the PP level 2 wheels and tires sticking outside of the fenders....yikes. And those Michelin Cup 2 tires are pretty close to racing slicks and are designed for really one purpose, track driving. I already did research into what the Magna Ride struts and shock cost to replace down the road and it is not pretty. You need to weave and dodge your way through the option list to get exactly what you want. I special ordered my 2018 at the right time with an eye towards long term ownership costs.
Old 5/24/18, 02:28 PM

Quite new to the site but wanted to post when I saw this thread.
2012whiteGT I know you asked for Non PP owner but I went thru the same question &
almost negated it, the 18' GT PP1 is right for the right person and use.
If you're trackin and tactin or even just spirited invigorated driving (IE-getting on it!) LoL
I'd say yes for sure, for everyday work drivin nah'
Active valve performance exhaust is nice if you want to bring the noise, runs about $900 it does
have quiet mode but I find the standard exhaust throaty-growly enough. I opt'd out.
PP1 does offer: 19" x 9" & 9.5"s Black Rims, 255 F 275 R Stagg'd 40's, Brembo Black 6 Pist's "front"
with larger rotors I'm thinkin 15" you'll get less fade I'm sure... Heavy-duty Springs, K-Brace,
Silver Painted Strut-Tower Brace, Upsized Rear Sway Bar and unique chassis/EPAS/ABS/Stability Control Tuning, "Engine Spun" Aluminum Instrument Panel, Gauge Pack (Oil Pressure and Vacuum), Larger Radiator Im likin that! Performance Rear Wing. This being said (I) personally like it and could tell the diff in performance.
Is it a must, not really, especially if youre gettin a deal on the car, but it sure is nice to have.
As far as 3.15 vs 3.55 axle rat, depends what youre looking for top spd, mpg, jump off the line and torque,
there are trade offs between the two, your choice.

Last edited by MizzTang; 5/25/18 at 05:52 AM. Reason: I modified my original reply since I drifted... been known to "Drift"...
Old 5/31/18, 10:46 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 387 Likes on 284 Posts

I agree. If you are going to use your car as a cruiser there is no need for the PP. If you're planning on tracking the car many tracks will not allow a convertible without a roll bar. The A10 with 3:15 gears will get you into trouble quicker than you can think. I ordered the active exhaust on ours, but to be honest if I had it to do over again I would have went with the standard exhaust. I've never changed it from the normal mode (that does sound amazing) since I got it home. So, unless you're planning on a pecker measuring contest, or a mine's better than your's, or you fancy yourself the next Dale Earnhardt you'll be fine.

Now, all that is moot if you really want a PP. If you do you probably won't ever be 100% happy with the car. If you're spending that amount of money you need to get the car with the options you want. Good luck on your decision.

Last edited by wanted33; 5/31/18 at 10:49 AM.
Old 6/2/18, 01:07 PM
Royal Crimson GT PP1 Member

Received 126 Likes on 81 Posts
If you dont like or plan on replacing the wheels with aftermarket wheels or lowering the car then the PP1 is just not needed.
Old 8/21/18, 09:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I find myself coming back to this thread because at $4K PP1sounds like a lot but you do get a lot too.

I’m stuck on the fact that that the stock wheels are only 8” wide with 235 tires so no real tire upgrade options. If I plan to do a wheel and tire package, that’s gonna run $1500 - $2K and if I want the 3:73 gears, what’s that installed? Another $750? Now I’m closing in on $3K so is it worth it to just step up to the PP1?

The brakes are probably overkill for me because the most I’d do is the occasional autocross but nothing serious. Only thing I don’t like about the PP1 is the staggered setup, wish it was 9 or 9.5” square.

How much real world difference is there between 3:55 and 3:73 gears with the 6 spd manual? And what are the benefits of the Torsen over the standard rear end?
Old 8/22/18, 10:02 AM
Xar
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have the PP1 on the 10R80 - I can tell you that a non PP car from test driving (not going crazy) I found the ride to be stiffer, but more solid on the PP1... 3.55 vs. 3.73 gears - that's for the mt82 - I had 3.55 on my 13 GT and found that I really didn't need to upgrade to 3.73's - but it's up to you, based on what you're going to do - the Torsen is awesome...

I'm very happy with my 18 PP1 - honestly only looked at PP mustangs and found this one on the lot with the 19's coming in I got a great deal - only thing I wish it also had was the 401A (I'm a techy, would love an all digital dash!) - but I'm totally happy with this car, as it came in at a great price, and if I had priced out a 19 and had it delivered, I would have spent $10k more than I wanted...
The following users liked this post:
Fords4Ever (8/22/18)
Old 8/22/18, 08:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah the more I look at 401A the more I like that dash! I’m seriously thinking of going from my ‘14 GHIG GT/CS to a ‘19 Need for Green GT Vert. I wasn’t even considering the PP1 until I saw a pic of a Need for Green GT vert PP1 and it looks sick!

I was trying to keep it under right at or under $50K and the PP1 definitely breaches that. I think I’m at $49,300 before PP1:

‘19 GT Premium Vert NFG
6spd manual
401A
Active exhaust

Old 8/23/18, 04:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
I bailed on the PP1 when I ordered my 2019 GT Premium. I did order the Black accent Package which come with 19 x 8.5/255 tires and I was also hesitant about the staggered tires that came with the PP1. They were also "summer only" tires and mine will be a daily driver so I didn't want to have to buy a second set of rims for the winter.
Old 8/23/18, 08:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Do all GTs come with the strut tower brace now? I thought it was part of the PP and GT/CS, it was on my 14 CS. I see on the GT/CS it says California Special Badge on Strut Tower Brace. If so that’s pretty cool.

Quick Reply: Is performance pack a must?