2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Ordering a Mustang / how long does it take and how do things work in the US?

Search this Thread

Old 7/31/18, 05:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Ordering a Mustang / how long does it take and how do things work in the US?

Hi,
at first: sorry for maybe asking stupid questions - I am a German who just moved to WA last year and things work a bit different here and back home in Germany (not only the thing with the speed limit :-) ).

So in Germany it's rather common to order your car with the exact spec you desire instead of going to Ford and choosing from their inventory. And that means you agree on a binding contract as soon as you sign.
That seems to be a bit different in the US - I already learned that dealers don't really like to order custom cars, as the order is non-binding. I guess that's the part I need to discuss with a dealer.

But some other questions remain, maybe someone could help me here?
  • has anyone ordered a Ecoboost Fastback lately and can share how long the wait was?
  • how is a dealer incentivized - will I get similar discounts/deals as if I was buying out of his inventory or will a dealer have a way higher motivation to sell a car from his lot?
  • generally, what margin do dealers have on such an entry level car? (would like to understand whether there is room to negotiate at all)
  • does anyone know whether sales tax can be reclaimed/refunded when I export the car after a year or so?
Thanks a lot!
best,
Andre
Old 7/31/18, 05:55 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Andre - The best deal you are likely to get is by being a Costco member and using their auto buying program. They have arrangements with dealers whereby the dealers MUST honor the Costco price or beat it, and it is a very aggressive price. I ordered my 2014 V6 Premium Convertible through my local (at the time) dealer in Lakewood, WA. I ordered Ruby Red Metallic with a stone top and interior. The dealer was surprised I didn't want black top and interior, but he went ahead and ordered it for me. My order was for one of the very first 2014s and it took a little less than two months.
Dealers obviously like to sell what they already have in stock, but should be willing to order a specific car for you anyway. You will have to pay a deposit, but it is not likely to be too high. I don't know about the binding vs non-binding issue, nor do I know about the issue of sales tax, but would doubt that you can reclaim it when you ship the car home in a couple of years.
Good luck.
The following 2 users liked this post by tukatz:
area5179 (7/31/18), RaceMoto (7/31/18)
Old 7/31/18, 06:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Most dealers will order a vehicle for you but they usually try to sell something that is readily available instead of waiting 8 weeks to get a sale. A bird in the hand and all.

1. Has anyone ordered a Ecoboost Fastback lately and can share how long the wait was? Judy Morgan is a member and they ordered an Ecoboos premium on 6/27 and it's ready for transport supposedly. ​​​​​I just ordered a 2019 GT but you can expect to wait about 8 weeks for your vehicle to arrive.

2. How is a dealer incentivized - will I get similar discounts/deals as if I was buying out of his inventory or will a dealer have a way higher motivation to sell a car from his lot? You will be able to get any incentives that are available at the time. In fact, with my dealer I have the $2,000 incentive locked in but if something better is available when my vehicle comes in then I can get that instead. It really depends if the dealer wants to be accommodating or not.

3. Generally, what margin do dealers have on such an entry level car? (would like to understand whether there is room to negotiate at all). In the US most dealers make very little on new cars so it's tough to say what kind of deal you can get. I wouldn't expect much since you are ordering your vehicle. If you where purchasing one off the lot a dealer would be more inclined to make a deal because he getting you to buy something that isn't what you want so he will be more willing to negotiate. In your case he knows upfront a sale is almost a given so I would expect much wiggle room.

4. Does anyone know whether sales tax can be reclaimed/refunded when I export the car after a year or so? As far as I can say NO. I would check with your dealership or local motor vehicle agency but I don't think so.

Old 7/31/18, 06:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks, Tukatz! Will check that out (wasn't aware of that program).

And thanks, Area5179!

Last edited by RaceMoto; 7/31/18 at 06:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
area5179 (7/31/18)
Old 8/1/18, 12:09 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 387 Likes on 284 Posts
Andre, since you have already gotten good info on the other questions I'll try to, through my experience in ordering cars, give you an idea of how long it may take.

Before you commit to ordering make sure the dealer has an allocation for the month you are ordering. If he doesn't it will take you at least until the first of the next month they do have an allocation to even get the order submitted. Dealers through their sales volume of Mustangs, are given a certain number they can order for a given month. So, the more they sell the more allocations they get, and the reverse applies to the other end.

After the order is submitted to Ford delivery time will depends on several variables.

(1) When will the type of Mustang you ordered be put onto the assembly line. Most all manufacturers, Ford included, like to build similar styles together as much as possible. i.e. Ecoboost runs, and GT runs. Coupes, and convertibles also figure into the planning.

(2) Constraints. This applies to the availability of certain options from Fords suppliers, i.e. Performance Packages 1 and 2 etc.

(3) Weather that no one can control, and plant shutdowns for holidays.

I've had one Mustang delivered 5 weeks (2013), one in 10 weeks (2018), and one in 13 weeks (2010) because of the weather. The sales person will tell you the normal time is 6 to 8 weeks, and many cars will hit that mark. But, some don't.

Jim

Last edited by wanted33; 8/2/18 at 07:45 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by wanted33:
area5179 (8/1/18), RaceMoto (8/1/18)
Old 8/1/18, 01:11 PM
V6 Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Expect 8-10 weeks depending on the time of year. I special ordered a 2018 GT in late Jan, and took delivery in mid-April. My car was built in late Feb. and it took many weeks to reach the dealer coming from Michigan to Connecticut. I put down a $500 deposit with the dealer and that was it. We had a tough winter so I was happy the car came when it did!
area5179 (8/25/18)
Old 8/2/18, 07:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,019 Posts
The others have already covered the specific questions so I'll just add a few general comments --

The best way you can get the best deal, is to be flexible and look at all your options. if you have your heart set on a very specific configuration for the car, then you are limiting your options and you will likely end up paying more for the luxury of picking that very specific combination of options. If you can be flexible about options, that opens up the competition for your business quite a bit and you can most likely get a better deal. Sometimes this means taking something from the lot that is not exactly what you wanted, but close enough.

Also, always be ready to walk away from a deal. If the dealer senses that you are committed, they will move the deal in their favor. Of course I am not suggesting that you would break any promises.
wanted33 (8/2/18)
Old 8/2/18, 02:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
I ordered my EB coupe in August 2016, IIRC, and it was delivered early in November.
Old 8/25/18, 12:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
I ordered my 2019 GT on July 10 and just got my VIN from my dealership salesman. ETA is currently 9/25/18.
Old 5/14/19, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roger blose
Expect 8-10 weeks depending on the time of year. I special ordered a 2018 GT in late Jan, and took delivery in mid-April. My car was built in late Feb. and it took many weeks to reach the dealer coming from Michigan to Connecticut. I put down a $500 deposit with the dealer and that was it. We had a tough winter so I was happy the car came when it did!
I live in CT and intend to order a 2020 Ecoboost HPP fully loaded in January/Feb. Would you mind telling me which dealer you went through and if you recommend them? I am hearing mixed reviews about people ordering through dealers, and a recommendation would help

Thanks!