New tires...mount and balance costs? - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

2015 - 2018 Discuss the Current Generation

New tires...mount and balance costs?

Old 4/18/17, 03:54 PM   #1

New tires...mount and balance costs?

I've got a 2015 Ecoboost with the optional 20s. I had to order a set of 275/35/20 Firehawk Indy 500s from Tire Rack since it looks like everybody under the sun around here can't order them at the moment...but my local dealership quoted me at $120 out the door for dismount/disposal, TPMS, mount and balance of the new tires on to my wheels, etc. Probably could have gotten a cheaper quote if I could have bought the tires from them...they were going to price match

Doing price comparisons through Tire Rack for 26505...the average range was about $105-$150 due to all sorts of listing technicalities like upcharges for being low profile 35 series tires for example. What do you guys think of the dealer quote and what've you paid in the past for similar services?

Last edited by 62Telecaster; 4/18/17 at 03:55 PM.
62Telecaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join The Mustang Source

Join TheMustangSource.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Mustang fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Mustang Fans to meet online.
Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your stang, and have a great time with other Ford Mustang fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Mustang you'll find that TheMustangSource.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TheMustangSource.com Today! - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Old 4/18/17, 06:19 PM   #2
Shelby GT350 Member

Doesn't seem outrageous to me.
Cavero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4/18/17, 10:47 PM   #3
Cobra Member

Around central Florida it is about $10.00 to 15.00 Dollars per tire. $20.00 if they are super low profile.
Jazzman442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4/19/17, 06:45 AM   #4
Post *****

check discount tire??
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4/19/17, 06:53 AM   #5
Cobra Member

That's right in the sweet spot of the prices I was quoted in my area of the south for low profile tires. Discount Tire came in with the best price, and they have the latest touchless technology. My local dealer didn't even get close to DT's quote. You did fine.
wanted33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4/19/17, 09:46 AM   #6
Mach 1 Member

Sounds about right to me!
ElkGroveFordGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4/19/17, 04:45 PM   #7
EF1
Bullitt Member

It looks like it all depends on what part of the country you live.. I am in East Tennessee and paid $15-20 per wheel last summer.
EF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4/21/17, 07:44 AM   #8
Cobra Member

I'd be around $80 ($20 each) at my local car tire installer that treats me extremely well. $120 is certainly reasonable for not buying your tires there, especially at a dealership. Just make sure their 'minimum wage' guy isn't doing the installing and marking up those expensive rims.
NC07GTCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4/21/17, 05:35 PM   #9
Cobra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC07GTCS View Post
I'd be around $80 ($20 each) at my local car tire installer that treats me extremely well. $120 is certainly reasonable for not buying your tires there, especially at a dealership. Just make sure their 'minimum wage' guy isn't doing the installing and marking up those expensive rims.
+1 on this. They can sure screw it up in a big hurry. Cost me about $135 to get the one wheel fixed. But you know..."Not their fault."
shaneyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4/22/17, 10:22 AM   #10
Shelby GT350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneyusa View Post
+1 on this. They can sure screw it up in a big hurry. Cost me about $135 to get the one wheel fixed. But you know..."Not their fault."
Even an experienced shop can screw it up. I had my last set of tires mounted at my local speed shop and the wheel slipped in the machine, denting up my trim ring, which I can't find a replacement for or a place to fix it.

It happens, but the shop was good for it. They offered to have it fixed/replaced if I could find a place to do it, and when I told them 'no, it's ok i don't care that much about it, it's not that noticeable', they offered a 10% discount on my upcoming engine work. Being cams, long tubes, FRPP intake, and dyno tune, that discount made a pretty **** good dent in the bill!
Cavero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4/22/17, 02:14 PM   #11
Cobra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavero View Post
Even an experienced shop can screw it up. I had my last set of tires mounted at my local speed shop and the wheel slipped in the machine, denting up my trim ring, which I can't find a replacement for or a place to fix it.

It happens, but the shop was good for it. They offered to have it fixed/replaced if I could find a place to do it, and when I told them 'no, it's ok i don't care that much about it, it's not that noticeable', they offered a 10% discount on my upcoming engine work. Being cams, long tubes, FRPP intake, and dyno tune, that discount made a pretty **** good dent in the bill!
At least they were good about it! Mine they just had a by the way had a problem, but we are not responsible attitude and would not do anything. Won't be going back there.
shaneyusa is offline   Reply With Quote