Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by YepItsGreen
Totaled "OUR" new mustang lol
That's right, "our Mustang", thanks for the correction
Old 8/18/15, 07:01 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I wonder what went wrong? Did the tires pick up some water? I see the driver repeatedly had traction issues. Did the driver keep the throttle matted after it started to spin out of control?

The accident underscores what happens with a vehicle when the tires suddenly regain traction and the driver hasn't correctly anticipated when they will regain traction and where they will be pointed.
Old 8/18/15, 07:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Mustang Drag Race Cut Short After Epic Fail

Momentum is a *****. Once the car gets at a certain angle no amount of counter steer will get it back. It's better to just do a doughnut lol
Old 8/18/15, 07:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
im happy with my 'Stang as is, granted I am going to build it a bit, but thats mostly handling mods to make it hold the road better if I want to try a time only auto cross . I don't need or want a 5,000 BHP car or truck (people with cars with that type of power and not knowing how to control it scare the living crap out of me...)
Old 8/20/15, 09:34 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Momentum is a *****. Once the car gets at a certain angle no amount of counter steer will get it back. It's better to just do a doughnut lol
You're absolutely right once you pass 70 degrees you're done! I took a skid school course (mandatory for work) and 98% of people fail their first 3 attempts to correct it. Imagine the odds with that kind of power (we were only driving 40mph).
Old 8/21/15, 01:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bob
I wonder what went wrong? Did the tires pick up some water? I see the driver repeatedly had traction issues. Did the driver keep the throttle matted after it started to spin out of control?
What I saw was the driver may have been distracted watching the tach and making the shift rather than driving and peddling it to gain traction. The rear slipped to the right and he failed to correct his steering, foot still on the floor. Then he lifted too late and drove into the wall. He needs more practice!

Ooooh doughnuts!
Old 8/21/15, 06:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
Welcome to last week, DetroiSteel.

This has been around on other forums for a while ... it was a no-prep race and he was on stock tires.

Car's an auto and ran 10.13 @ 137 on slicks
Old 8/21/15, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by El Coyote GT/CS
What I saw was the driver may have been distracted watching the tach and making the shift rather than driving and peddling it to gain traction. The rear slipped to the right and he failed to correct his steering, foot still on the floor. Then he lifted too late and drove into the wall. He needs more practice!
Ooooh doughnuts!
So he basically power oversteered his car into the wall? I don't get how you go from pointed straight to turned left unless he turned the wheel to counteract some force he was feeling in the car.
Old 8/21/15, 10:42 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by laserred38
Me. Though, I partially blame the traction control and debris on the road - I really didn't have a chance. Just as I corrected and caught the slide, the TC kicked in, stopping me dead in my tracks, which lead to me getting t-boned. The 13k old stock Pirelli P-Zeros didn't help matters...
Bummer for that person at least he is ok. At least until he tells his wife he just trashed 50K.
I would not have traction control on at the strip ( that is what drag radials are for) and I definitely would not go on street tires. I wonder if it was his first run in that car? he probably should have taken it easy on the first pass to see how the car handles.
Just saw the post above no prepped track ouch.

Last edited by 14stangGT; 8/21/15 at 10:44 AM.
Old 8/21/15, 11:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Mustang Drag Race Cut Short After Epic Fail

Originally Posted by rs999
So he basically power oversteered his car into the wall? I don't get how you go from pointed straight to turned left unless he turned the wheel to counteract some force he was feeling in the car.
He never had traction. The back end was sliding out from the moment he left the line, and he was fighting to keep it straight.

New GT: 40k
Supercharger: 6k
A couple hundred on some good tires? Nah way to expensive.