2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Motortrend Head to Head vs. Camaro 1LE

Search this Thread

Old 10/15/14, 08:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
Now is that the Mustang's fault, or the fact that you may have picked the wrong car for your commute? Take that thing to a track, you'll see a it in a whole new light! My car, which I got 15 months ago has made my drive to and from work AWESOME! But it's not too congested here, and I have plenty of passing opportunities. Plus with GT500 A/Bs it sounds fan-frikkin-tastic. And I've been impressed with it at the track. Only the 'vette and the 1LE really beat it. BMW's, EVO's, Miata, FRS, WRXes and the like look great in your rear view
It's a combination of both. I knew what I was getting myself into, wanting to daily drive a 400hp car. I don't have time to track it. I work 5/10s if not 5/12s and sometimes Saturdays. I have an 8-month old baby. The car was supposed to be my escape from all that, and instead it's just been a disappointment. The quality is disappointing. Not being able to ever use the power around here is disappointing. The creaks from my Glass Roof and rattles from the dash panels and door panels are disappointing. The paint bubbling and peeling underneath my hood, which cost $900 to clear bra, is disappointing. I've modded it already, the exhaust sounds amazing, it handles well and doesn't right too bad either, but all of the above is really making me start to regret my purchase. I bought this car because the 2015 wasn't available with a Glass Roof. Now I'm wishing I just got a new family car and waited on the 2016 which will probably have a sliding panoramic roof.

Too late now though, I'm stuck with it. Oh well.
Old 10/15/14, 08:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Getportfolio
Blasphemy I know but I got to see one of the new Camaros at a charity event. I couldn't get over how nice the interior was. It was a pretty red SS. Anyway, that car has been on my mind... Temporary infatuation? Like going from a blonde to a redhead?
Nah I can't ever want a Camaro. I hate their interior design. I also hate the way Chevy interiors smell. It reminds me of the zoo. Not to mention its a Chevy. I just can't do it.

I'm honestly feeling the same way towards Apple products. They're decent, but nothing else excited me enough to switch. Same with Ford. I bleed Ford blue, but for the $500/month plus insurance and gas I'm paying for this car, it's not satisfying with my current situation. I knew all the variables, minus the quality issues, and I took the dive anyways. The quality issues are what is making me regret the purchase. I could live with everything else, but when the car feels like it has 100k miles on it and it only has 5300, it sucks. I've only made 3 payments on it for Christ's sake!
Old 10/15/14, 09:18 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
Sadly, I've been feeling the same way lately. My car just does not make me happy. But I could've gotten two new cars for the price of my loaded GT. Which is wasting away in traffic. And has turned into a rattle trap in only 5k miles.

Sorry to hear that LaserRed. I agree that the rattles can drive one nuts. I guess Ford put the $ into the drive train and fun factor, not the details. You may want to try wedging in some soft foam/sponge material into the small crevasses of the dash, air vents, and various dash areas. Use a very small regular-head screwdriver. I think you'll be happy with this quick, easy, and cheap fix.
---
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
Take that thing to a track, you'll see a it in a whole new light! I've been impressed with it at the track. Only the 'vette and the 1LE really beat it. BMW's, EVO's, Miata,

---
Oh yes, 5.Monster, I agree. For the money, our 2011+ GTs are great value at the track. I feel so lucky to live so close to two great road courses (LVMS and SpringMountain). I get about 3-4 track days per year, and my loaded $36k 2011 GT Premium stomps most cars there, what fun! Problem for many folks is that they live too far away, or simply time - kids makes it tough. If LaserRed got just one great DE track day I'm sure he would get back all the love.
---
Originally Posted by Getportfolio
Blasphemy I know but I got to see one of the new Camaros at a charity event. I couldn't get over how nice the interior was.

Dude, I could not DISAGREE with you more. IMO, the interiors of the 2010+ Camaros are hideous, with useless gauges, cheap-feeling leather seats, terrible sight lines, and the worlds ugliest steering wheel. Do I respect the 1LE for it's handling? Sure. But a 2010+ Mustang GT Premium's interior is worlds better than a Camaro.

Last edited by PJRManagement; 10/15/14 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10/15/14, 11:24 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
While the 1LE may be quicker on a road course than a GT, I'm happy to report that I've whooping up on Camaro SS's and ZL1's at our local dragstrips. Even with a proper drag radial, the ZL1's aren't even close to me in the 1/4 mile. Mustang still reigns supreme in some forms of motorsport.
Old 10/16/14, 05:41 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabooka
Well this is a fun video, but I'm pretty sure the 1LE is a response to the Boss. Really not he same comparison since a Boss is not a GT with PP. Anyway, so the marketing goes. So, as close as they were, good things must be coming
1LE is comparable to a Boss302...and all we've been hearing for months is how the new GT is supposed to be superior to the old Boss but it's still not superior enough to beat the 1LE, sadly.

Old 10/16/14, 06:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay. But how do you account for the fact the Camaro is so **** ugly?
Old 10/16/14, 06:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I am disappointed in this comparison because I feel the cars were equal as much as possible. They had the v8 cars with their performance packs on. It doesn't matter if it was a base or premium GT, the fact of the matter is that the GT is lacking compared to an older model Camaro. Do you really think Chevy isn't going to improve their next Camaro?

The new GT was suppose to be better than the boss 302 and in some respects it is but why did ford benchmark one of their own cars to beat when they should have benchmarked the car that was beating the boss 302?

Sure the GT350 or whatever it will be called will be one awesome handling car for sure but will Ford still play second fiddle next to the current gen Camaro Z28 that out handles the like of Porsche and GT-R?

Some will argue that these are Muscle Cars and they are meant for the drag strip, well times have changed and while they are able to hit impressive times that was supercar territory just a few years ago these new Muscle Cars are capable of so much more. This is why this comparison is good to show more than just 0-60 numbers and 1/4mile times.
Old 10/16/14, 07:22 AM
GT Member

Sadly, I've been feeling the same way lately. My car just does not make me happy. I feel like I really should have bought a new family car for my fiancée and a fun (but slow and fuel efficient) daily driver. Now I probably would've gotten a Fiesta ST or Focus ST, but I could've gotten two new cars for the price of my loaded GT. Which is wasting away in traffic. And has turned into a rattle trap in only 5k miles.
Coming from a loaded 2013 Focus ST to 2014 base brembo pack... There are definitely things I miss! That being said, this is my first mustang, and it's been a dream car of mine for some time. When my ST got totaled, I had a choice and switched over to the Mustang on a whim and I love it! RWD, naturally aspirated power... The feeling of driving a muscle car... Tough to beat.

That said, I DD the 5.0 in a 6 speed manual and although I love it 95% of the time, there is always a little bit of me that misses the quirkiness and agility of the ST... And the gas milage... And the four doors... Or five doors haha

It really is a much more "practical" car, but it's just me, my girlfriend, and my dog. The stang suffices for me in this stage of my life, especially with the gf driving a fuel efficient hatchback.

Logic isn't the whole picture... And let's be real... Were you really expecting the mustang to be a quiet and smooth DD? I'll readily take the flaws to maintain the raw muscle feel and have the power and rush of driving a rwd 420 hp hog over my turbo econobox that handled like a freaking lotus haha. The NA V8s are going by the wayside and so is LRA and its pretty cool to own this car. That being said, if I were in the market again, I would have taken a look at the EB mustang... That would probably be the best fit for ME but it would not be as fulfilling as hearing that 5.0 roar... And the s197 just looks the part of muscle car much more to me... The S550 will be on my radar if they come out with this gt350 in the future... Because that will be the real chat for comparison tests! The "PP" is no match for the 1le hate to say it.

I will say, though, that the aftermarket for the s550 will be exciting to say the least!
Old 10/16/14, 07:50 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by killaz05
I am disappointed in this comparison because I feel the cars were equal as much as possible. They had the v8 cars with their performance packs on. It doesn't matter if it was a base or premium GT, the fact of the matter is that the GT is lacking compared to an older model Camaro. Do you really think Chevy isn't going to improve their next Camaro?

The new GT was suppose to be better than the boss 302 and in some respects it is but why did ford benchmark one of their own cars to beat when they should have benchmarked the car that was beating the boss 302?

Sure the GT350 or whatever it will be called will be one awesome handling car for sure but will Ford still play second fiddle next to the current gen Camaro Z28 that out handles the like of Porsche and GT-R?

Some will argue that these are Muscle Cars and they are meant for the drag strip, well times have changed and while they are able to hit impressive times that was supercar territory just a few years ago these new Muscle Cars are capable of so much more. This is why this comparison is good to show more than just 0-60 numbers and 1/4mile times.
Very well articulated.
Old 10/16/14, 09:04 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by barebone- 5.0
Coming from a loaded 2013 Focus ST to 2014 base brembo pack... There are definitely things I miss! That being said, this is my first mustang, and it's been a dream car of mine for some time. When my ST got totaled, I had a choice and switched over to the Mustang on a whim and I love it! RWD, naturally aspirated power... The feeling of driving a muscle car... Tough to beat. That said, I DD the 5.0 in a 6 speed manual and although I love it 95% of the time, there is always a little bit of me that misses the quirkiness and agility of the ST... And the gas milage... And the four doors... Or five doors haha It really is a much more "practical" car, but it's just me, my girlfriend, and my dog. The stang suffices for me in this stage of my life, especially with the gf driving a fuel efficient hatchback. Logic isn't the whole picture... And let's be real... Were you really expecting the mustang to be a quiet and smooth DD? I'll readily take the flaws to maintain the raw muscle feel and have the power and rush of driving a rwd 420 hp hog over my turbo econobox that handled like a freaking lotus haha. The NA V8s are going by the wayside and so is LRA and its pretty cool to own this car. That being said, if I were in the market again, I would have taken a look at the EB mustang... That would probably be the best fit for ME but it would not be as fulfilling as hearing that 5.0 roar... And the s197 just looks the part of muscle car much more to me... The S550 will be on my radar if they come out with this gt350 in the future... Because that will be the real chat for comparison tests! The "PP" is no match for the 1le hate to say it. I will say, though, that the aftermarket for the s550 will be exciting to say the least!
I never said I excepted the Mustang to be quiet and smooth, especially with my suspension. I said I expected it to not be a rattle trap in 5k miles, and not have creaks from the roof structure around the Glass Roof, which was the ONLY reason I bought a 2014 instead of waiting for a 2015.

I already said I bought my car, knowing full well the compromises I'd be making. I even knew driving a 400hp car in my location, would not be fun or easy. I just didn't know it would be THIS bad. I was about to buy a 2010 GT back in 2009, but it fell through. I would've been much more satisfied with a 300hp V8, versus today's model, but today's model is what was available to me. I also considered a V6, but I knew I couldn't give up the V8 noise. First world problems right?

That's why I said I feel today's cars have just gotten too powerful for US roads, especially in the more congested areas. There's no where to use 300hp on the streets here, let alone 400, 500, 600 or more.
Old 10/16/14, 09:52 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I never said I excepted the Mustang to be quiet and smooth, especially with my suspension. I said I expected it to not be a rattle trap in 5k miles, and not have creaks from the roof structure around the Glass Roof, which was the ONLY reason I bought a 2014 instead of waiting for a 2015.
Sorry to hear you're having such a bad experience with yours. I've got no explanation for it. I've got the glass roof on mine and at almost 30,000 miles it still feels like a brand new car.
Old 10/16/14, 10:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by RandyW
Sorry to hear you're having such a bad experience with yours. I've got no explanation for it. I've got the glass roof on mine and at almost 30,000 miles it still feels like a brand new car.
I almost think it's karma. I used to work for Tesla, and I kid you not, EVERY single Model S with the pano roof had terrible creaks. There were multiple design flaws and multiple TSBs to attempt to fix them. I even worked with the pano roof SWAT team for 2 weeks, where they tried everything to figure out why the roofs kept creaking. That experience made my question the longevity of Ford's roof, but I figured since it doesn't open, it should be stronger and more secure. I haven't read of anyone else having GR creaks on here, so it must be the black cloud that follows me
Old 10/16/14, 10:29 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 148 Likes on 112 Posts
i think I know but define " creak " .. I don't think it`s used down south..
Old 10/16/14, 10:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by HOSS429
i think I know but define " creak " .. I don't think it`s used down south..
You can hear the metal structure flexing under acceleration or say going over a speed bump, or entering a driveway.
Old 10/16/14, 08:47 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
The 1LE is a much more hardcore package. The regular SS offers equipment levels that are more comparable to the GT PP. Even so, a base GT with PP and Recaros would've been more comparable, even IF the results would have been the same. They literally compared a fully loaded GT to a stripped down 1LE. I guess that's what the aftermarket is for, but I would MUCH rather buy a GT set up from the factory like the 1LE. Without boy racer "let me relive the 60s" Boss 302 graphics plastered all over the side of the car.

Tru'dat!

Although I admit it kinda blows that you have to step up to the performance pack to get some decent equipment then go right back in and swap springs, shocks, and struts in order to get what a lot of people expect the performance pack to be right out the gate.

I think people figured the Performance Pack equipped GT would be the spiritual successor to the Boss 302 and that doesn't seem to be the case (although Rhumb linked an article stating the PP GT at Grattan was 1.5 seconds faster than the Boss).
Old 10/16/14, 09:10 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by rhumb
I think the 1LE's slightly superior torque is more a result of its extra 1.2 liters displacement than some magic of pushrods.

This, the extra displacement bumps power under the curve. Despite the new Coyote's broader range I suspect average power on the GM mill is higher due to the extra displacement.

An extra .5-1.0 liters would do some amazing stuff to the coyote even if peak power only increased slightly if at all.

Matter-O-factly while people often associate DOHC engines with lots of airflow at high valve lift and power coming in at high RPM. A properly designed and executed DOHC engine really shines in the low to mid lift ranges allowing it to excel at torque production when at the same or nearly the same displacement (A good example of this would be the 2013 Engine Master's Entry by Kasse at 409 CID, it absolutely smashed the 2014 Shaver 427 LS based entry in torque production - another good example would be Mercede's 6.2 and 6.3 liter engines in comparison with GMs LS3 and even its new LT1).
Old 10/16/14, 11:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by bob
This, the extra displacement bumps power under the curve. Despite the new Coyote's broader range I suspect average power on the GM mill is higher due to the extra displacement. An extra .5-1.0 liters would do some amazing stuff to the coyote even if peak power only increased slightly if at all. Matter-O-factly while people often associate DOHC engines with lots of airflow at high valve lift and power coming in at high RPM. A properly designed and executed DOHC engine really shines in the low to mid lift ranges allowing it to excel at torque production when at the same or nearly the same displacement (A good example of this would be the 2013 Engine Master's Entry by Kasse at 409 CID, it absolutely smashed the 2014 Shaver 427 LS based entry in torque production - another good example would be Mercede's 6.2 and 6.3 liter engines in comparison with GMs LS3 and even its new LT1).
That's true...okay, so make my 5.0 a 6.0 and give it back to me with 60 more ft/lbs and 20 more hp please
Old 10/17/14, 05:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MRGTX
1LE is comparable to a Boss302...and all we've been hearing for months is how the new GT is supposed to be superior to the old Boss but it's still not superior enough to beat the 1LE, sadly.

That is a good point, that has been the word. Still, I think this thing will do well going forward, after all, this is its first year.
Old 10/17/14, 06:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MRGTX

If I am not mistaken, Chevy's answer to the boss 302 (while late to the party) was the z28. A track ready monster like the boss 302 is. The 1LE is a performance add-on to the SS. The supercharged ZL1 Camaro is to compete with the GT500.

In the end I think Ford chose the wrong vehicle to benchmark the new car on. In an ideal world, Ford would have their GT Performance Pack smack the 1LE and the GT350 to beat down the Z28.
Old 10/17/14, 02:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by David Young
Yep.....same old crap from Ford.........Narrow tires and soft shocks........Always has been and always will be..........

Thank goodness for the aftermarket
Yup...and don't forget the way to quiet exhaust on the GT.

Quick Reply: Motortrend Head to Head vs. Camaro 1LE