2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Making the new rear CV Joints

Search this Thread

Old 8/16/13, 08:42 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Making the new rear CV Joints

Does anyone care that my company is making the rear CV Joints/shafts for the 2015 Mustang? They are of unequal length...two different part numbers for each side. There are two separate assemblies for V6 and GT. Wasn't sure if anyone finds this interesting... I also have production number requirements and dates for delivery.
Old 8/16/13, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Non-equal lengths is a bit interesting, how different are the lengths (a few mm or something significant)?

I assume that at least the V8 versions, especially, look pretty beefy, to put the lively axle adherents fears at ease?

What about for the rumored Egoboost 4, is there a separate part(s) for this or will they share either the 6 or 8 banger shafts?
Old 8/16/13, 08:57 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Dan S.
Does anyone care that my company is making the rear CV Joints/shafts for the 2015 Mustang? They are of unequal length...two different part numbers for each side. There are two separate assemblies for V6 and GT. Wasn't sure if anyone finds this interesting... I also have production number requirements and dates for delivery.
Whats the delivery date? That should narrow down when production is going to start.

Didn't the cts-v have a problem with wheel hop at launch that was because of the cv shafts. They had to change from equal length to unequal length or maybe the other way around.
Old 8/16/13, 09:19 AM

I seem to recall that some high power applications do use either different length half-shafts and/or different mass to suppress harmonic vibrations and resultant noise and even axle-hop in severe cases.

It that's what's the rationale here, that would seem to indicate more thorough engineering taking the fore -- making darned sure the IRS works well at the strip and track -- rather than the more cost-cutting approach of identical shafts.
Old 8/16/13, 09:32 AM
Team Mustang Source

Good to hear they are being made here in the USA.
Old 8/16/13, 09:41 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

There are currently only two designs, consisting of 2 part numbers each. No future plans for anything weaker or stronger (for lets say, a GT500)..but then again, those may not be sourced through us.

Both designs will be using eight ball Rzeppa-type CV joints.

For the GT:
Cup outside diameter will be the same for both at 95mm
Cup length on both will be approx 75mm
Overall lengths including cup and stem will be 234mm and 209mm. So a difference of 25mm.
Stem diameter for both is approx 35mm
I don't have time right now to get the V6 specs. I also do not have the shaft information available to me at this time. I'll have to get back to you on that.

Start of production for us is June 2014. I don't really think that has much weight on when actual production of the cars will start, so take that with a grain of salt.
Old 8/16/13, 12:31 PM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
There are currently only two designs, consisting of 2 part numbers each. No future plans for anything weaker or stronger (for lets say, a GT500)..but then again, those may not be sourced through us.

For the GT:
Overall lengths including cup and stem will be 234mm and 209mm. So a difference of 25mm.
I don't have time right now to get the V6 specs. I also do not have the shaft information available to me at this time. I'll have to get back to you on that.

Start of production for us is June 2014. I don't really think that has much weight on when actual production of the cars will start, so take that with a grain of salt.
Well that sure makes it look like the Mustang is going back to a more traditional fall release timeframe. I wonder if the 2014 will be an extra long run, or if there will be a large gap between productions.
Old 8/16/13, 01:49 PM

For the GT:

I'm no expert on CV joint/halfshaft design, but does a 75mm 8-ball Rzeppa CV sounds pretty sturdy to you?

The length difference does seem pretty minor, perhaps enough to simply quell any sympathetic resonance issues, or maybe merely do to some minor asymmetries in the diff/rear suspension design or something.

I would guess that a June production date would imply a mid summer car production given that manufacturers nowzadays tend to go more on a just-in-time, parts as needed basis rather than warehousing huge stores for later installation. This would make sense presuming an April 2014 NYIAS produciton car intro on the Mustang's 50th anniversary reveal and the actual cars hitting the showrooms a few months later.

Last edited by rhumb; 8/16/13 at 01:50 PM.
Old 8/16/13, 07:30 PM
V6 Member

I really liked the fact that the V6 finally shared the GT's 8.8", it's disappointing to hear they may have different rear ends again. I know less rotational mass in the drivetrain will certainly help fuel efficiency, but I felt as though shared drivetrains made the V6 that more desirable as a sports car and not a rental rat..

8-ball sounds sturdy to me, I don't recall any more than 6 in the handful I've had apart. That should provide plenty of contact surface, as long as the cups have sufficient strength.

Do you know any spec's on materials? I'm assuming steel, but anything beyond that?(ie. stainless, hardened, etc?)

also, the length from the inner cup face at the stem(where that axle seal rides) to the end of the outer stem; Add both together plus the width of a cobra IRS 8.8" center housing, and that should be close to track width depending on how level the axle is at ride height. but the length lost in axle angle should help make up for the distance from the stem to the wheel center cap.. might debunk the shrinking rumor right there.
Old 8/16/13, 07:38 PM
V6 Member

Bummer if that June '14 date is correct. I was hoping they would be out by June. On that timeframe they won't be hitting lots until August or September.
Old 8/16/13, 11:24 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by B-Fox
I really liked the fact that the V6 finally shared the GT's 8.8", it's disappointing to hear they may have different rear ends again. I know less rotational mass in the drivetrain will certainly help fuel efficiency, but I felt as though shared drivetrains made the V6 that more desirable as a sports car and not a rental rat..

8-ball sounds sturdy to me, I don't recall any more than 6 in the handful I've had apart. That should provide plenty of contact surface, as long as the cups have sufficient strength.

Do you know any spec's on materials? I'm assuming steel, but anything beyond that?(ie. stainless, hardened, etc?)

also, the length from the inner cup face at the stem(where that axle seal rides) to the end of the outer stem; Add both together plus the width of a cobra IRS 8.8" center housing, and that should be close to track width depending on how level the axle is at ride height. but the length lost in axle angle should help make up for the distance from the stem to the wheel center cap.. might debunk the shrinking rumor right there.

I'm sure the GT shafts are designed to withstand very high torque loads, something the V6 will never need to worry about. By high, I mean 700lbft+.

I have it on good word, as I posted at Mustang6G, that the high horsepower applications that the mustang high performance engines will potentially see have been accounted for. They will withstand power levels that will put cars into the 9.999 seconds quarter mile range.

I mentioned a couple months ago about the smaller engines using lighter weight components due to the smaller sizes not needing to withstand high stress situations. Apparently I was right. Bring an engineer, that's how I think. The tooling cost for components like this are insignificant to the entire project, but material costs savings across the board in the $1-3 range per car on these small components make a huge overall difference. If they do that with a dozens components, they save millions of dollars.
Old 8/17/13, 01:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
To the OP, are you supposed to be sharing this info with us? I mean, we appreciate it, but it's not worth getting fired over.
Old 8/17/13, 08:55 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Yeah, this very basic info is about the most I can say. To be honest, you wouldnt be able to come close to making a part based off those general dimensions. We don't design the part, we just design how we are going to make it...and then make it lol
Old 9/9/13, 11:52 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rhumb
I seem to recall that some high power applications do use either different length half-shafts and/or different mass to suppress harmonic vibrations and resultant noise and even axle-hop in severe cases.

It that's what's the rationale here, that would seem to indicate more thorough engineering taking the fore -- making darned sure the IRS works well at the strip and track -- rather than the more cost-cutting approach of identical shafts.
This. GM has done this in almost all of their new RWD performance cars.