2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Looking to Upgrade to a 2016; purchasing questions

Search this Thread

Old 6/27/15, 12:30 PM
V6 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looking to Upgrade to a 2016; purchasing questions

Right now I have a 2013 Mustang in DIB with stone seats. I love it, but it's not _quite_ what I really want style/options/etc. wise. Plus, I actually prefer the newer model IRS, body style and other features.

Question 1: if I custom order, will a decent dealer still negotiate price or will I be looking at paying sticker price/MSRP? Anyone with experience either way have info? If so, how do I approach that topic when working with a dealer?

Like I said, the 2013 I have is not quite what I want because I bought a car off a lot (actually off the dealer's expanded inventory) -- and compromised a bit because I was able to get a fantastic deal due to a major screw up by the dealer. However, I would much, much prefer to just order exactly what I want from the factory, which of course the dealers don't like to do because they'd rather clear existing inventory.

Question 2: What's the best way to buy a car if your local dealer is a company you can't/won't deal with and there are no other conveniently located dealers? Any online dealers, brokers or other options that would provide a decent buying experience, including custom orders, and negotiate price?

The only Ford dealer in my town (closest in about 60 miles) is, to put it in the most positive light remotely possible, scummy. They sold me a car that they didn't actually have (it was sold to someone else already). They really push the useless ESP and protection coatings, etc. Their service dept. constantly screws up/won't listen to me, etc. I won't deal with them again unless they are literally the only option.

I have other questions about the new model, but I'll post another thread later for those much more fun questions
Old 6/27/15, 03:33 PM
V6 Member

I was able to negotiate a good deal with my dealer in Healdsburg, CA, so much that when comparison shopping, other dealers wound up saying either it was too good a deal and I should take it, Others said my dealer was lying and couldn't sell at that price. Well he did and I have been happy with my Mustang ever since. All that being said, The order process can be long and at times upsetting. There is a thread documenting may buyers journey through the process. Count on 8-16 weeks.
Old 6/27/15, 05:44 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by jonser
I was able to negotiate a good deal with my dealer in Healdsburg, CA, so much that when comparison shopping, other dealers wound up saying either it was too good a deal and I should take it, Others said my dealer was lying and couldn't sell at that price. Well he did and I have been happy with my Mustang ever since. All that being said, The order process can be long and at times upsetting. There is a thread documenting may buyers journey through the process. Count on 8-16 weeks.
Thanks for the info! I'm not worried about the timing, but would rather not may sticker so good to know dealers will still work with you on that.
Old 7/10/15, 04:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Miles, I actually ordered a 2016 Ecoboost Premium on Tuesday. I'm expecting it in 8-12 weeks hopefully. The dealer took off approximately 1,500 from MSRP and then added a 500 rebate. I went to three Ford dealerships, I might have been able to haggle a few extra bucks but I liked the dealership that I made the deal with. They didn't try to sell extras and none of that checking the manager stuff. She was honest and upfront, so I'd rather deal with that.
If you want specific numbers and the specs I took, email me and I'll let you know. Hope that helps, good luck!