J.Mays Hints at Next Mustang in 2014...

Search this Thread

Old 10/6/10, 09:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
Doug's working on it
Doug's the man!

It's interesting to watch some comment "don't make it retro" and others say "make it look like a modern version of a 196x". These are opposing directions. I think we have a car now that looks like modern versions of the 60s Mustangs. I think they capture the Mustang "look" but only as defined by the 60s Mustangs. The Mustang look was different in the 70s, 80s, and early 90s. By the time of the SN-95 Mustangs, one could see a little more "retro", but not to the extent that we have in the '05-'11 cars.

This sort of design problem must be keeping people up at night!
Old 10/6/10, 10:19 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As long as it looks good next to my '68 Fastback I'm interested.
Old 10/6/10, 10:20 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like what Doug did in that sketch.
Old 10/7/10, 04:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'm glad the discussion surrounding the next gen is finally starting to heat up a bit. Things were getting a bit dry around here since the new 5.0 has kind of become old news. I was starting to think we should start up another SRA/IRS thread just to get people talking.

I'm currently living in Korea (I'm Canadian) so there really isn't any car culture here, let alone a single Mustang, but there a billion Kia Forte Koups.

Every time I see one (which is about every 5 minutes) I can't help but think how with more Mustang proportions, it almost looks like a modern Fox because of the size and rear end. Obviously it's not what the new Mustang should look like (turn off the caps lock buttons, and relax) but it is a nice looking car, and reminds me how over the blatantly retro look I am for the next gen, and how many other design cues there are that say "Mustang". There's more to a Mustang than triple tail lights and a side scallop.

We need to get over the 10% of Mustang history that happened in the 60's and realize the Mustang is much more than a few design details.
Old 10/7/10, 04:39 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Clino
We need to get over the 10% of Mustang history that happened in the 60's and realize the Mustang is much more than a few design details.
especially get over that first 2% that sold over 1 million copies...sorry, but the whole 'retro' thing bugs me a bit- the original was NOT retro, it just looked right, and IMO classic lines just dont ever go out of style- especially when 'style trends' say everything should be a round roofed 4 door sedan. pretty much any car built in '69 if repopped today with todays safety features/durability/economy would sell especially if priced right...it costs the same to build a ugly car as a classic car. I wish the mustang would get back to its roots- a basic 4 passenger, great looking, great sounding, fun to drive, very affordable car- and nothing more...if they want to make a SVO turbo4/SVT IRS/whatever, thats great- but the basic model needs to be affordable so anyone can become a fan...I really worry they are already getting too 'fancy' on the basic GT- 29k is a lot for a basic car with a couple extra cylinders- a new malibu is a decent American car that can be had for 30% less...if a very stripped small v8 mustang could be had for 20k, now THAT would spark some sales- if it also had classic looks it could again be the king of the hill sales-wise like '65...but IMO it needs to closely resemble the 65-70 models.
the mustangII was car of the year, what every guru thought was 'right', but it turned into a very short term fad, and now probably is the LEAST popular 10% of them among the mustang enthusiasts. the originals had it right, the 05 was closest to that since 74, and was pretty universally liked... it amazes me even little kids comment 'nice car' so often dropping off the kids at school, or at the store...classic styling will always be that- young/old alike, what looks good looks good.
in 50 yrs the 05 will still be a great looking car, the 10 rear bumper will still not be- IMO of course

Last edited by ford4v429; 10/7/10 at 04:44 AM.
Old 10/7/10, 08:26 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
6" shorter in length, not height. 3" lower in overall height.
Not really gonna see that with the current styling direction. What made the fox car's dimensions so tidy was due to creating a space where the passengers sat more upright and even without the benefit of a poll, its easy to see the majority of people here consider fox car styling to be somewhere along the lines of digested refried beans.

(disclaimer: I have nothing against fox cars myself - I love'em and consider them an important part of Mustang history, but it seems the 79-92 cars are the red-headed step kids you keep under the porch)

Then there are other considerations like stuffing a coyote sized engine into a foxed sized car (sure it can be done but thats equivalent to putting 10 pounds of engine into a 2 pound box) and thats so not gonna happen with a high volume production car going down an assembly line.- well atleast if Ford considers anythig 5.4 SC sized in the car's future.

Last edited by bob; 10/7/10 at 08:28 AM.
Old 10/7/10, 08:45 AM
Cobra Member

After I purchase my 2001 Mustang GT, I remember getting a survey about the car. It asked me what parts of the car I liked, thought were "okay" and disliked.

It asked he how I rated the front, rear etc.
I don't recall getting a survey for my 2008 GT? Did any of you get one?

Hopefully, Team Mustang is using this information. I hope they do their homework, and get a couple focus groups together. Especially a group of long time Mustang buyers.
Old 10/7/10, 09:35 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stangfoeva
Its at M3 proportions now
Shave 8" off the overall length, move the wheels more to the corners and lower the car about 3-4" then you might be more on track. Overall the M3 is a smaller car, even if the proportions are similar. Though the M3 is an incredible amount lower in overall height. It's more how the M3 is dimensioned that I would like to see done on the Mustang. Less gigantic fender, more rubber hugging. The two are very very close as it is. But given the more aerodynamic features of the BMW it physically looks and fees smaller and has smaller quarters inside. For us smaller guys, that doesn't really bother me. Though this is a feat that will be tough for the bigger and taller American public.
Old 10/7/10, 10:38 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Automagically
Shave 8" off the overall length, move the wheels more to the corners and lower the car about 3-4" then you might be more on track. Overall the M3 is a smaller car, even if the proportions are similar. Though the M3 is an incredible amount lower in overall height. It's more how the M3 is dimensioned that I would like to see done on the Mustang. Less gigantic fender, more rubber hugging. The two are very very close as it is. But given the more aerodynamic features of the BMW it physically looks and fees smaller and has smaller quarters inside. For us smaller guys, that doesn't really bother me. Though this is a feat that will be tough for the bigger and taller American public.
I park next to an M3 all the time at work, the size is pretty much the same. If you shave off 8 inches this thing will be waaay smaller than an M3
Old 10/7/10, 10:42 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stangfoeva
I park next to an M3 all the time at work, the size is pretty much the same. If you shave off 8 inches this thing will be waaay smaller than an M3
I was just pointing a few dimensions out. The M3 is 8" shorter. Nothing I can do about it

I think it still needs to be about that size though. Nice and tight. People wouldn't have that over-sized American engine bay to work in anymore though. I like that luxury. But I like it tight too.

Last edited by Automagically; 10/7/10 at 10:54 AM.
Old 10/7/10, 11:04 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by Automagically
I was just pointing a few dimensions out. The M3 is 8" shorter. Nothing I can do about it

I think it still needs to be about that size though. Nice and tight. People wouldn't have that over-sized American engine bay to work in anymore though. I like that luxury. But I like it tight too.
It's only 6.4" shorter. And they are the same height. The mustang is 2.4" wider
Old 10/7/10, 01:41 PM
Cobra R Member

I think getting the weight down is going to be far more difficult that people can imagine. Even if it was down to the same size as the 79-93 models it would still have to deal with heavy safety features not available in the fox bodies. I'm sure the buying public would also reject having less luxury items like premium sound, navigation, glass roof and think of the added weight of the much bigger wheels and tires of the new cars.

I think the only real way for Ford to drop some pounds from the Mustang is to up the overall cost of the car by adding more lightweight materials. Aluminum and carbon fiber parts are the most logical way to drop weight from the car. I agree with some on the forum arguing that the Mustang has gotten to expensive but at the same time accept that the buyer for the Mustang tend to have the extra coin. The Mustang stopped being the young man's car when the 60s inspired 05 model came out and got baby boomers to buy Mustangs again. Ford should get the youth market with a different, more affordable sporty car.
Old 10/7/10, 02:15 PM
Team Mustang Source

Lighter Steel/Alloy/Thermosets

Not Carbon Fiber...
http://www.nasdaq.com/aspx/stock-mar...uto-composites
Old 10/7/10, 03:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Clino
Ford is way ahead of you. They had executives thinking that way in the 80's. Their goal was to reinterpret the Mustang for the times. The result?

It was only thanks to the Mustang faithful that this car became the Probe, not the Mustang.
Old 10/7/10, 04:00 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by coffeejolts
Ford is way ahead of you. They had executives thinking that way in the 80's. Their goal was to reinterpret the Mustang for the times. The result?

It was only thanks to the Mustang faithful that this car became the Probe, not the Mustang.

I think we can still have a true v8 RWD Mustang without having 60s styling. Ford was going to drop the ball with the Probe being called a Mustang but keeping the 79-04 Mustang going with contemporary styling proved successful. Ford is afraid of keeping the Mustang looking the way it does now because in many other cases retro styling tends to lose favor after a generation or so.

I wish I could find the article now but it basically talked to automotive designers from all the different auto companies and they recalled how many retro-themed cars tend to fizzle out after a couple years of wild popularity (PT Cruiser, VW Beetle, Audi TT, T-Bird)

Personally I could go either way I really do like the looks of the 05-11 cars but I love the 94-04 cars pretty much the same I just wish they had the same quality of the newer cars. Perhaps they could keep the same basic profile of the 5th gen car but implement styling details from other generations...
Old 10/7/10, 09:18 PM

Ever notice how those old 60's Mustangs are still hot. I see alot more magazines and restoration shops that deal with Mustangs than Chargers, Camaros, or Torinos.

My point is, I dont know what the 2014 Mustang will look like.

But the 2020 Mustang will be retro.

All I ask is that they move the **** cup holder so I can shift with my cup of coffee.

Last edited by GT500DAD; 10/7/10 at 09:19 PM. Reason: I kant spel...
Old 10/7/10, 10:02 PM
GT Member

I think people tend to overstate the styling differences between the '94-04 and '05+ cars...with the distinct exception of the reverse angle shark nose, the cars aren't really that far apart in styling. The '05 is scaled up, squared off and the quarter window is relocated...but many of the basic cues have been consistent since '94.
Old 10/8/10, 01:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by coffeejolts

I think you're exagerating what I said.

I'm simply referring to styling, not the whole character of the car. Obviously there are basic elements that all mustangs share, and should should always be kept (simple, fun, affordable, V8, RWD) but as far as design elements, I think it needs to be more progressive.

If you want a modern version of a 69, then just buy a 69 and add some modern touches.
Old 10/8/10, 02:19 AM
Cobra R Member

glad it didn't become the mustang...but kinda liked the look of the 93-97 probe

Old 10/8/10, 06:59 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by tom_vilsack
glad it didn't become the mustang...but kinda liked the look of the 93-97 probe

We are all glad it didn't become a Mustang, but I liked the Probe. I thought it was a good alternative to the Mustang. Especially for a single person or married couple without kids, that wanted something sporty, and could use as a daily driver.

My sister owned a Probe years ago. For the times, it was good on gas, and the FWD came in handy during the winter months.

The last Mercury Cougar reminded me of the Probe. I knew a lot of girls that owned one.

Quick Reply: J.Mays Hints at Next Mustang in 2014...