2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

J.Mays Hints at Next Mustang in 2014...

Search this Thread

Old 10/4/10, 09:46 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by T5owner
The sketch was just one of those on his office walls, not new. The latest Capri rendering was in the Autobild recently. Another one more edgy in TopGear (which is probably more like it).

Our interview text is stil under approval. Not much left though
I'd buy one....especially if it had the 5L in it!!
Old 10/4/10, 10:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Automagically
I'd buy one....especially if it had the 5L in it!!
Looks to 370Z-ish to me.

This on the other hand i would think about.Camaro base pic.

Old 10/4/10, 11:47 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by mustangmaniak2010
Looks to 370Z-ish to me.

This on the other hand i would think about.Camaro base pic.

I agree it looks 370Z-ish, but I wasn't really referencing the Mustang. Just the Capri.

What's this? The Chall-aro-stang?
Old 10/4/10, 12:17 PM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Sorry, we're heading off-topic!

Said it before and I'll say it again, I'm amazed how well that Camaro 'chop turned into a great Capri

Old 10/4/10, 12:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Automagically
I agree it looks 370Z-ish, but I wasn't really referencing the Mustang. Just the Capri.

What's this? The Chall-aro-stang?
A CAM-PRI?!
Old 10/4/10, 01:08 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by mustangmaniak2010
A CAM-PRI?!
Oooooh, yeah, I see!
Old 10/4/10, 04:46 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We'll see some stuff early, then come 2014 (2015MY) we'll see the real car for the true 50th anniversary, and I'm sure it's going to be a big deal. I think by 2013 we'll have a better idea of the design direction, and we should pay attention to the Mondeo/Fusion that we're getting, as well as anything coming behind it.

If the Mustang can come out of the gate for the next 50 years with an innovative design, great features, and competitive pricepoint, we'll be just fine. I like what's been done since 2005, and if it's moved to a more capable platform and they really anchor it on the fundamentals of a sports car, then we're going to see even more great things.
Old 10/4/10, 06:13 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LOL this is on autblog now
Old 10/5/10, 01:13 AM
Cobra R Member

would love to see the capri back again

Old 10/5/10, 03:35 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
I think by 2013 we'll have a better idea of the design direction, and we should pay attention to the Mondeo/Fusion that we're getting, as well as anything coming behind it.
I hope you're not referring to the Mondeo/Fusion from a styling perspective! Nice though the currenty Mondeo is (and I'm not expecting the next one to be a major advance) its generic-me-too Euro styling just blends into the background, here in England anyway. The Mustang should be a complete stand-alone design.

Of course, if you were referring to the Mondeo/Fusion from a tech point of view, that's different
Old 10/5/10, 05:07 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Moosetang
Along J Mays' statements, Alan was hinting again about Falcon moving to a Mustang platform (NOT Mustang moving to a Falcon platform) in the near-ish future. If the Mustang platform is going to form the basis for a smaller Falcon (and possibly a Linc), it's going to get those features it needs to go global.
From the article below it appears there will be more than one rear wheel drive platform. That is better as it means no compromises. It's a good article and well worth the read.
Originally Posted by GoAuto

link

REAR-WHEEL drive appears to be back in favour for the Falcon, with Ford Motor Company president and CEO Alan Mulally admitting that he would not risk alienating buyers and fans when the next all-new Falcon debuts sometime in the middle of the decade.

Either way, not only is it almost certain that Ford Australia is driving the engineering development of Ford’s next global family car, it seems increasingly likely that the Broadmeadows team may shape the look of each derivative as well – perhaps even Lincoln’s.

Speaking to GoAuto at the Paris motor show on September 30 – almost 50 years to the day after the first Falcon’s 1960 on-sale date in Australia – both Ford executives praised the Broadmeadows team’s abilities to take total control of new-vehicle development in the wake of the T6 Ranger program, which has its global debut at the Australian International Motor Show in Sydney next week.

“Falcon is a great vehicle, and we are going to keep making it for the customers, because they love it,” Mr Mulally said.

“We’re always going to keep looking at the technology that allows us to do (rear-wheel drive) … we have really cool rear-wheel drive (cars) like the Mustang and the Falcon, and they’re all different in the marketplace.

“But the big thing for Ford is it is always a Ford family, right? So if we’re going to have sportscars and need big sedans, too, we’re going to use the technology that is right for them.

“Because we love our rear-wheel drive cars, we love the Mustang, and we love our global platforms.”

Mr Mulally also emphasised the importance of leveraging Ford Australia’s unique half-century’s worth of experience with RWD sedans. “We are going to have great rear-wheel drive platforms, and the vehicles that we have them on are on global platforms. So we are going to work with all our customers around the world to make sure they have the products they want,” he said.

“When you look at all the vehicles that people want … rear-wheel drive really does make a lot of sense.

“But there are vehicles that really make sense with rear-wheel drive. You can argue that we have got some of the best in the world. So we are going to continue to make what customers want and value, including utes.”

“(Australia) is contributing on every major program that we work on,” he said. “Chris Svensson has just taken over from Scott Strong, and will probably work for three to four years down there.

“They are contributing to major programs that we are working on, whether they are sold in Australia or not. We have got them involved in four different programs at the moment.

“They are an integral part of our design organisation … on everything from trucks to passenger cars.

“Next Falcon is just starting to shape up, and they’re contributing to that as well. We have a global team, and a global design competition on the design programs, and the Broadmeadows team, along with Cologne and Dearborn, are all working on derivatives.”

Asked if a Falcon proposal had been chosen, Mr Mays said the design process had just begun.
“I haven’t been down there in two years, but I am trying to get there for next February because I owe them a visit. But they know what they’re doing and they know how to handle it.”

Mr Mays said in Paris that Ford Australia’s team is world-class and entirely responsible for all T6 Ranger and derivatives.
“Absolutely every single thing (about the T6) was designed in Broadmeadows,” he said. “They’ve done a great job on that, and it’s just a killer-looking truck – a very dynamic-looking truck.”

1) Falcon will be the basis for a larger RWD platform, shared with Lincoln.

2) Mustang will be the basis for a smaller RWD platform, also shared with Lincoln.
Old 10/5/10, 09:47 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
I hope you're not referring to the Mondeo/Fusion from a styling perspective! Nice though the currenty Mondeo is (and I'm not expecting the next one to be a major advance) its generic-me-too Euro styling just blends into the background, here in England anyway. The Mustang should be a complete stand-alone design.

Of course, if you were referring to the Mondeo/Fusion from a tech point of view, that's different
So far it's been noted that the Mustang will not share in the Kinetic design style. I am not against the Kinetic but I'm not for it for the Mustang.
Old 10/5/10, 10:12 AM
GTR Member

The question I have, and I'm sure a lot of others have as well. Will the new design have cues from all the great models, or will it be a totally clean sheet design to kick off the second half of the century? I don't want a continuation of the '05 styling.
Old 10/5/10, 10:57 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

The question I have, and I'm sure a lot of others have as well. Will the new design have cues from all the great models, or will it be a totally clean sheet design to kick off the second half of the century? I don't want a continuation of the '05 styling.
I'm with you on this one. I think it's time to see the forward thinking of the Mustang.
Old 10/5/10, 11:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

To be honest, I think that we will see some Falcon influence in the next car. With Ford trying to go Global, the Falcon is the logical base platform to start with. The Falcon is going to be (if not already) available with the same 5.0 engine the 11 Mustang has.
Old 10/5/10, 11:49 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Falc'man
From the article below it appears there will be more than one rear wheel drive platform. That is better as it means no compromises. It's a good article and well worth the read.

2) Mustang will be the basis for a smaller RWD platform, also shared with Lincoln.
Thanks for the link.....all sounds good

Well, I guess this is the probably Ford have........as I do want a contuniation of the '05.....or at least another variation that uses obviously styling influences from the great Mustang of the 60s

Mustang, Challenger, Camaro. Three designs that stand out against all the bland coupes out there. Their bluff frontal designs go totally against the "aero" shape of every new car on the road, and I love them for that.
Old 10/5/10, 12:40 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by Falc'man

I don't know, I get the feeling they were lacking some objectivity there. They are no doubt engineering the final Falcon, but Blue II and Wescoent have both indicated that platform development is being done in Dearborn. The article also kinda contradicts itself, saying no decision is being made on Falcon until next year (or 2012) but they're nearing a design freeze right now.

2 new RWD platforms, or one really flexible one, would be great. We'll see.
Old 10/5/10, 01:29 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
Well, I guess this is the probably Ford have........as I do want a contuniation of the '05.....or at least another variation that uses obviously styling influences from the great Mustang of the 60s

Mustang, Challenger, Camaro. Three designs that stand out against all the bland coupes out there. Their bluff frontal designs go totally against the "aero" shape of every new car on the road, and I love them for that.
See, I think it's time to really go and pave a new path with the design. I want to see basic, unmistakable Mustang cues infused into the design, but without "continuing" a design from an earlier launch. If it's getting a new platform, then it deserves a new design direction IMO.
Old 10/5/10, 01:33 PM
GTR Member

See, I think it's time to really go and pave a new path with the design. I want to see basic, unmistakable Mustang cues infused into the design, but without "continuing" a design from an earlier launch. If it's getting a new platform, then it deserves a new design direction IMO.
Well, hopefully one of us will be happy
Old 10/5/10, 01:54 PM
Cobra R Member

I think that is what J. Mays was suggesting in the interview. I agree I really like the 05-11 designs but at the same time it will get long in the tooth if it continues in the same direction. The retro theme is getting played out by the competition (thanks Camaro and Challenger) so to stay a step ahead of them Ford should give the car a new modern look but keep some of the classic themes.

Quick Reply: J.Mays Hints at Next Mustang in 2014...