2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang
View Poll Results: Do you want Start-Stop Tech?
Yes
13.25%
No
66.27%
Don't Care
20.48%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

How would you feel if this were in the next Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 9/21/10, 12:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So the old wives tale about it taking more gas to start the engine everytime you stop, is now untrue, due to new technology...
Old 9/21/10, 12:59 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jarradasay
So the old wives tale about it taking more gas to start the engine everytime you stop, is now untrue, due to new technology...
I had that same thought. Especially the way the computer slightly over revs the engine each time it starts. Whereas my old F150 carb doesn't.
Old 9/21/10, 01:27 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
I had that same thought. Especially the way the computer slightly over revs the engine each time it starts. Whereas my old F150 carb doesn't.
I was wondering the same thing!
Old 9/21/10, 01:50 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
So is this like a gasoline golf cart? It's on but the motor only goes when you hit the pedal? Because I've got to tell you I want all my new technology from golf carts that have been around since the 60's. Seems foolproof to me. I mean Toyota will probably **** it up with a floormat or something, but really how could this go wrong?

Can I get a ball washer in my car too, I have one on my golf cart. It works great for when my ***** get dirty.
Old 9/21/10, 08:06 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by karman
Don't get me started...
Personally, I think they should make drive-throughs illegal.
This country could save lots of barrels of oil just by that.
karman for president in 2012!
Old 9/21/10, 08:13 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Thats always been bull, brake specific fuel consumption at idle is particularly poor since the engine is fully throttled - ergo fuel consumption increases compared to the amount of power produced.

Last edited by bob; 9/21/10 at 08:19 PM.
Old 9/29/10, 02:48 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Can I get a ball washer in my car too, I have one on my golf cart. It works great for when my ***** get dirty.
Speaking of your girlfriend...
Old 9/30/10, 10:33 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by Automagically
Speaking of your girlfriend...
Gary has a girlfriend? I'm telling his wife!! She's a member here too......now where's that PM button....
Old 9/30/10, 11:36 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
Gary has a girlfriend? I'm telling his wife!! She's a member here too......now where's that PM button....
Hehe, thus the term girlfriend! Ahh, just joshing everyone!
Old 9/30/10, 01:39 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Everyone be quiet. I admit nothing.

BTW in case you didn't know, my girlfriend walked around topless in front of Jerry so it's only fair that I see his girlfriend naked.

Last edited by 2k7gtcs; 9/30/10 at 01:41 PM.
Old 9/30/10, 02:11 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Everyone be quiet. I admit nothing.

BTW in case you didn't know, my girlfriend walked around topless in front of Jerry so it's only fair that I see his girlfriend naked.
Haha! As long as your dealing with your issues "below the equator" then I'm happy for you.
Old 10/5/10, 12:57 PM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ford4v429

as far as a couple posts up about using compression/popping it off to restart...well, sorry I dont think thats possible...compression bleeds down pretty quick, and one hit would not start a car to well...plus it would require gas already in there(emissions)...the fuel would be killed during braking to clear the cylinders before it stopped...at least thats my take on it.
Actually it is possible to start the car without the starter motor. You just need direct injection.

"While conventional idling stop systems rely on a starter motor to restart the engine, Mazda's "i-stop" restarts the engine through combustion: fuel is directly injected into a cylinder while the engine is stopped and ignited to generate downward piston force. The result is a quick and quiet engine re-start compared to other systems, and a significant saving in fuel."

http://www.mazda.com/mazdaspirit/env/engine/siss.html
Old 10/5/10, 01:20 PM
Cobra R Member

Maybe i'm crazy but doesn't your engine go through "mini-hell" everytime it starts up, I would assume this would increase wear on the engine and kill battery life.
What about when you are parking, engine on and off 3-4 times? lmao

Last edited by fdjizm; 10/5/10 at 01:21 PM.
Old 10/5/10, 09:19 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Once the engine is warmed up and all the parts are lubed well , wear isn't a big issue and wear & tear on the starting system wont be a big deal if the engine is stopped with charged cylinder and using the ignition system to turn the motor over rather than the starter or at leasdt minimizing the amount of time the starter must turn the engine.
Old 10/8/10, 02:01 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have start/stop technology in my manual transmission 2003 Civic Hybrid. You have a button to control whether it is active and it only stops the engine when you are going less than 15 mph with the clutch in or in neutral. If you leave it in first, it doesn't auto-stop.

I was driving around in my '05 GT with my wife and we were stopped at light that seemed like it was several minutes long. My wife looked at me and said if we were in the Honda, your car wouldn't be running. It would definitely improve my gas mileage.
Old 11/6/10, 12:11 PM
V6 Member

think about winter time , in full traffic..sub zero temp with heat/defrost on +lights and radio +wipers.. and the engine stops?!!wtf? very good idea ford..i'll pass
Old 11/7/10, 10:28 AM
Bullitt Member

first step in completely removing the starter motor. soon, everyone will simply have a card that the cars computer will read when it is within a specific distance. if all is good, then the computer will automatically unlock the doors (which it has automatically locked when the driver got out of the car and the card key was moved out of range) and primed the engine. all the driver will have to do is get in, put it in gear (or not if it is the dead of winter and the car needs to be warmed up a bit) and go, nice,neat and tidy.

Last edited by b_btrick; 11/7/10 at 10:33 AM.
Old 11/7/10, 03:01 PM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by labatt 50
think about winter time , in full traffic..sub zero temp with heat/defrost on +lights and radio +wipers.. and the engine stops?!!wtf? very good idea ford..i'll pass
Every car that already has this includes a button to disable it. Also, I'm sure it would be pretty easy to program this to not stop the engine in really cold or really hot weather.
Though heat blows for a little while after the engine turns off since there is still plenty of heat in the engine bay.

first step in completely removing the starter motor. soon, everyone will simply have a card that the cars computer will read when it is within a specific distance. if all is good, then the computer will automatically unlock the doors (which it has automatically locked when the driver got out of the car and the card key was moved out of range) and primed the engine. all the driver will have to do is get in, put it in gear (or not if it is the dead of winter and the car needs to be warmed up a bit) and go, nice,neat and tidy.
Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, but this technology has been around for several years. You can get it on several Ford cars even. I would be shocked if it's not included in the next Mustang redesign.
Old 11/8/10, 07:45 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by labatt 50
All the electrical systems would run off the battery and the HVAC uses heat from the coolant system. Niether would be seriously impacted for the short time your sitting at a light.

The system can be designed to detect when power and cabin comfort fall below certain levels and restart the engine to prevent a dead battery or driver discomfort. I suspect that if the start/stop tech comes through, the AC compressor will be powered by an electric motor rather than the engine.

Perosnally I dont have a problem with it since I rarely use the AC and in the winter time its even less of an issue and if I'm at a prolonged stop I do just this - I find it senseless to let a car idle while waiting for a bridge opening or train to pass.

Individually this tech might not account for any sort of considerable savings (well then again one time in my old 07 GT, I did cut the car off at every light and used some other techniques to bump mileage to almost 30 mpg on a drive to work one day). but multiplied across the entire US fleet it would probably account for an appreciable amount of savings. Which depending on your political leanings (environment & national security) isn't a bad thing.