2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

How fast will 2015 depreciate?

Search this Thread

Old 2/25/15, 02:56 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,955 Likes on 1,583 Posts
Originally Posted by 3point7
There is no vehicle out there that you're going to make scads of money on unless you open your own garage and start restoring old muscle cars.
That's pretty much the only real way for sure.. And even then you'll still need enough disposable income just to get started along with having those old muscle cars to restore to begin with
Old 2/25/15, 03:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
That's pretty much the only real way for sure.. And even then you'll still need enough disposable income just to get started along with having those old muscle cars to restore to begin with
And a shop to keep it in, with tools and etc.. Oh how about them taxes lol
Old 2/25/15, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by 3point7
Simon, the best resale value vehicle in the country is the Toyota Tacoma and even then it's value drops to 74% of retail after 3 years and 60% of retail after 5 years. That's retail mind you so you won't get that on a trade in, only if you private sell the vehicle yourself. Now given that the average price of a Tacoma is right about 30 grand once you factor in interest and tags that means after three years the truck would sell for $22,200 retail. That means if you're lucky you might get 19K for it on a trade in.

There is no vehicle out there that you're going to make scads of money on unless you open your own garage and start restoring old muscle cars. Even buying used cars brings with it the fact that you're going to pay more for whatever vehicle you buy than the vehicle is worth. My advice is buy the vehicle you really like and keep it for years so that you're well past having it paid off by the time you sell or trade it.

http://www.kbb.com/new-cars/best-res...99251836803100

lots of information, thank you sir. I will only be financing 5K to build my credit up as I have no history .Will co-sign with parent to get a good interest rate. I just gotta decide if i'm ready to lose the money.
Old 2/25/15, 08:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by simon182
lots of information, thank you sir. I will only be financing 5K to build my credit up as I have no history .Will co-sign with parent to get a good interest rate. I just gotta decide if i'm ready to lose the money.
Keep in mind your priorities may change in few years. Like moving out of parents house. Or instead of renting maybe buying a home. I wish I thought of that. I was love struck with my car and didn't think about 5 years later. And my bad truck accident that popped outta no where which cause little more headaches.
You got some pretty good advice from the other guys on here I'd say
Old 2/25/15, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by RedGT12
Keep in mind your priorities may change in few years. Like moving out of parents house. Or instead of renting maybe buying a home. I wish I thought of that. I was love struck with my car and didn't think about 5 years later. And my bad truck accident that popped outta no where which cause little more headaches.
You got some pretty good advice from the other guys on here I'd say
Exactly, a few more years I know I'll look back and ask myself why I spent so much money on a car that just loses its value as time goes on. Such a hard decision
Old 2/25/15, 09:56 PM

And a shop to keep it in, with tools and etc.. Oh how about them taxes lol
Exactly 100% spot on David
Old 2/26/15, 06:16 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The way I see it if you need a car regardless of new or used your going to loose money. It's just one of life's expenses. Yes you'll spend more on a new car but imho it's worth it. It nice having the warranty and knowing you're the only one who's every owned it. On the other hand if you can't afford new nothing wrong with a used car.
Old 2/26/15, 06:18 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
your supposed to buy expensive houses and cheap cars.
Old 2/26/15, 07:40 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Glenn
your supposed to buy expensive houses and cheap cars.
You should buy whatever you can afford that makes you happy, whether a car or a house. Some people like the flexibility of renting. While an expensive house is usually a very good investment if you bought one at the height of the bubble you'll probably never recover the original price you paid. I bought my house in 2010 for $318,000 and now Zillow says it's worth about $290,000. On the other hand I need a place to live and the rent a comparable house would be about an extra $500 a month. I just hope the market recovers in the next 10-15 years when I might consider downsizing.
Old 2/26/15, 08:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by BlueBellThunder
You should buy whatever you can afford that makes you happy, whether a car or a house. Some people like the flexibility of renting. While an expensive house is usually a very good investment if you bought one at the height of the bubble you'll probably never recover the original price you paid. I bought my house in 2010 for $318,000 and now Zillow says it's worth about $290,000. On the other hand I need a place to live and the rent a comparable house would be about an extra $500 a month. I just hope the market recovers in the next 10-15 years when I might consider downsizing.

It's cheaper to buy then rent now. I wouldn't put too much stock into zillow, had home I built appraised by the bank for 230 and zillow said it was only worth 170.
I know if I could of done different I'd would of bought a 03-04 low mile gt. But thank The Lord, I've been fortunate to keep paying my mustang and on the latter end of my loan. Priorities and whatever is gonna make him happy.
Jeez!! More snow here, whoever lives in the south is lucky!
Old 2/26/15, 05:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

So I went on cars.com. There's about 100 used 15' mustangs out there.
Old 2/26/15, 07:14 PM

So I went on cars.com. There's about 100 used 15' mustangs out there.
I only found 2 near me! And they're both priced only a few hundred dollars less than new.
Old 2/26/15, 08:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

I only found 2 near me! And they're both priced only a few hundred dollars less than new.
There's a guy selling his that has 3k miles on it and his description is "like new, only selling because buying a home" lol
Old 2/26/15, 09:04 PM

There's a guy selling his that has 3k miles on it and his description is "like new, only selling because buying a home" lol
lol did he not think about that before buying the car? Hopefully in a few months they start dropping down in price
Old 2/26/15, 09:13 PM

I was wondering that as well
Old 2/26/15, 09:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

lol did he not think about that before buying the car? Hopefully in a few months they start dropping down in price
Oh could be a thousand reasons why,

he listed his for 33k. And that was a 50th edition
Old 3/2/15, 08:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Exactly, a few more years I know I'll look back and ask myself why I spent so much money on a car that just loses its value as time goes on. Such a hard decision

I was 19 when I bought my first brand new Mustang GT. Beautiful black 1989 with a gray interior. Loved loved loved the car.

Problem for me was the insurance!!!! A 19 year old driving a Mustang is poison to insurance companies and they will make you pay through the nose! My insurance bill every month was more than my car payment! As a result, I became a slave to car expenses and was unable to move out of my parents' house until I was 23. But hey, I had a cool car right???

Don't worry so much about depreciation and think more about the big picture... fuel, insurance, repairs, etc. It may serve you well to delay purchasing a Mustang if the bills will impact your school, living arrangements, or life in general.
Old 3/2/15, 08:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

My guess is that it's a lemon.

I can't imagine that the person didn't know they were buying a house and that getting a new car would blow your ability to get a home loan.

Selling a car so quickly after purchase tells me that the original owner wants to dump it ASAP... Just my $0.02...
Old 3/2/15, 08:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by mrkabc
My guess is that it's a lemon. I can't imagine that the person didn't know they were buying a house and that getting a new car would blow your ability to get a home loan. Selling a car so quickly after purchase tells me that the original owner wants to dump it ASAP... Just my $0.02...
That's a possibility too, unless he paid cash for it. And needed the equity in it. I see what your saying. Always taking a chance buying used
Old 3/3/15, 07:04 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Let's face it folks....unless you live in a warm climate state and never see snow, buying a Mustang as a DD isn't the smartest move, especially considering the high rate of depreciation. There are many of us here who need a second, more practical set of wheels when our Mustangs are parked for the season. That makes our Mustangs a discretionary and emotional purchase.

Most of us in that situation understood the rules before we played the game. What it boils down to is smiles per mile whenever we put the key in the ignition. It's hard to put that in a monetary equation.

Quick Reply: How fast will 2015 depreciate?