2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

GT350R or Roush Stage 3?

Search this Thread

Old 12/18/15, 06:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
JP ! Your absolutely spot on about being hung up on ADM markups and I'm certainly not alone.. IMHO I don't care how sweet the Shelby GT350/GT350R nor any other car for that matter is worth more than what the factory MSRP happens to be and despite being limited production cars, they're just not worth paying up to 20k over sticker as far as I'm concerned..

On the other hand, if Ford were to produce only 1000 total units, I could then understand the reason behind the ADM's in question, however I don't consider 4k-5k units produced per year as what you consider as being collectible nor rare enough to warrant such huge markups..

For now I'm just speculating as none of us really know how long the production run will be for the GT350/GT350R at this point, but knowing Ford's track record with the previous 2007-14 GT500.. I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if both the number of units and production run for the GT350/GT350R will be any different, unless Ford decides to come out with an all new S550/GT500 within the next couple of years
Rocky,
Oh, wow - I didn't realize the ADM was up to $20k! I see better now what you are saying, so a Roush Stage 3 might actually be the better route to go.

My dealer sales all their cars at invoice price - I'm getting my GT (left assembly plant yesterday - awaiting shipment) at that price. I wonder if they would do a GT350 at that price?
Old 12/18/15, 10:40 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
GT350R hands down. It is in a class all of its own without a shadow of a doubt. Sure, the RS3 is faster in a straight line but throw in the corners and regardless of its suspension which has one way adjustable coilovers (probably a rebound adjustment), you are probably going to be around 1-3 seconds off the lap time of the R with amateurs racing them. After 6 laps you are 6-18 seconds behind the guy in the R. Now the 350 with the track pack is probably a bit closer than that but with the RS3 you are still only getting a supercharged mustang with coilovers that's about it.

With the GT350R you are getting the Voodoo engine with the 3160 transmission, Carbon fiber wheels, stickier tires, magnaride shocks with all sorts of different goodies in the suspension, active aero and a lighter car by at the very least 150lbs. GT350R > Roush RS3

The pricing on the RS3 looks to be around 66k for the "bare bones" RS3 and the around 71k for the fully loaded ones. That is R territory with ADM attached to it. Even so now that the hot rush is over ADM's seem to be dropping from what I have read. Cars that once had 8 or 9k ADM are now going for 5k ADM which means if you play your waiting game it will continue to go down to MSRP. Not to mention if you hunt around you can find dealers selling cars for MSRP. It looks like out of 20 people on Boss Mustangs Online 5 people paid No ADM on their R's and 8 people paid No ADM on the 350. Deals are out there, you just have to hunt for them.
Old 12/18/15, 12:44 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,173 Likes on 1,750 Posts
Originally Posted by Ricochet
Rocky,
Oh, wow - I didn't realize the ADM was up to $20k! I see better now what you are saying, so a Roush Stage 3 might actually be the better route to go.

My dealer sales all their cars at invoice price - I'm getting my GT (left assembly plant yesterday - awaiting shipment) at that price. I wonder if they would do a GT350 at that price?
JP,

Not all dealerships will mark them up that high, but some will depending on how many are allocated.. For example if a certain dealership is only allocated 1-2 units by Ford to sell ? Then chances are they'll be looking to make as much of a profit as they possibly can, especially if they're a low volume Ford dealership to begin with..

However just as Sean mentioned in his post.. Some may sell them at MSRP or just slightly above, therefore I do agree where he's coming from when he mentions that you just need to hunt around and look for the best deals..

I also agree with Sean's post regarding the Roush stage 3 and depending on what package you end up getting ? by the time it's all said and done, it's very possible you'll be approaching GT350R territory anyhow..

So I suppose in this scenario, the stage 3 Roush may not necessarily be the better route to go after all, especially when it boils down to the GT350's 5.2L Voodoo engine vs the Roush supercharged 5.0L Coyote..

All I know for certain is this.. There are no dealership's within my local area who will sell the GT350/GT350R at MSRP.. However in your situation, if your dealership is a high volume Ford dealership ? perhaps they'll be willing to offer you a really good deal, as it certainly doesn't hurt to ask

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 12/18/15 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12/21/15, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
JP,

Not all dealerships will mark them up that high, but some will depending on how many are allocated.. For example if a certain dealership is only allocated 1-2 units by Ford to sell ? Then chances are they'll be looking to make as much of a profit as they possibly can, especially if they're a low volume Ford dealership to begin with..

However just as Sean mentioned in his post.. Some may sell them at MSRP or just slightly above, therefore I do agree where he's coming from when he mentions that you just need to hunt around and look for the best deals..

I also agree with Sean's post regarding the Roush stage 3 and depending on what package you end up getting ? by the time it's all said and done, it's very possible you'll be approaching GT350R territory anyhow..

So I suppose in this scenario, the stage 3 Roush may not necessarily be the better route to go after all, especially when it boils down to the GT350's 5.2L Voodoo engine vs the Roush supercharged 5.0L Coyote..

All I know for certain is this.. There are no dealership's within my local area who will sell the GT350/GT350R at MSRP.. However in your situation, if your dealership is a high volume Ford dealership ? perhaps they'll be willing to offer you a really good deal, as it certainly doesn't hurt to ask
Good points by Sean.

I wish I had the money to truly entertain the cost of a GT350/GT350R. I'm doing good by wife just letting us buy a GT Premium.

My dealer is a fairly low volume dealer, so it would be interesting to see if they have been allotted one or two. If so, for how much. I will ask when I pickup my GT soon (can't wait!).
Old 12/21/15, 08:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Having owned multiple Roush cars, I'll never own one again. They are very attractive, well performing cars but their clubs / groups leave a lot to be desired (the Roush Road Crew included has been wrought with turmoil for years) and - let's face it - we all get bored with cars from time to time and I have gotten completely hosed every time with a Roush car - even my latest which was a sub 20k mi. less than 1000 produced S3 cars of that year with every single option from Roush. If it would've been a Terminator, I could've easily commanded 30% more and gotten every penny. Roush's insistence on not getting the cars valued in the guides as Roush cars don't help, either.
Old 12/21/15, 10:39 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
i would love the Grey/white GT350R.

I think i may have found the s550 that i like.

Last edited by DarrenGT; 12/21/15 at 11:07 PM.
Old 12/22/15, 07:05 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Even with the upgraded suspension components which is just going from a one way adjustable coilover to a 3 way adjustable coilover, I still don't see it being close to an R. Remember, the R was something like 1.2 seconds ahead of the Z/28 which has put to shame many of the worlds best performance cars and would certainly beat the RS3 even with the 3 way adjustable coilovers in my opinion. From Roush's site, all the RS3 gets suspension wise are just coilovers which are probably there to adjust the ride height.
Old 12/22/15, 03:41 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by ford20
GT350R hands down. It is in a class all of its own without a shadow of a doubt.
With the GT350R you are getting the Voodoo engine with the 3160 transmission, Carbon fiber wheels, stickier tires, magnaride shocks with all sorts of different goodies in the suspension, active aero and a lighter car by at the very least 150lbs.
---
And let's not forget that new racing braking system in the GT350 (and R), that could stop a train. 15" rotors, drilled, two-piece, floating design. 6-pots in front, 4-pots in rear. Oh my! Would probably cost $10k (or more) alone.
Old 12/22/15, 03:45 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,234 Posts
Originally Posted by PJRManagement
---
And let's not forget that new racing braking system in the GT350 (and R), that could stop a train. 15" rotors, drilled, two-piece, floating design. 6-pots in front, 4-pots in rear. Oh my! Would probably cost $10k (or more) alone.
BINGO!!!
Killer set up.
Old 12/22/15, 06:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
---
Same setup the regular SS has now. Magnaride shocks too.
Old 12/22/15, 08:20 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
---
Really? I don't think the SS has 6-pots in front. And I don't think they're 15". And I don't think they are two-piece floating design. These are big details.
Old 12/22/15, 10:00 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,704 Posts
Well the R I drove had crazy awesome brakes!
Old 12/22/15, 10:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

---
Really? I don't think the SS has 6-pots in front. And I don't think they're 15". And I don't think they are two-piece floating design. These are big details.
Guy at work traded his Gen 5 V6 RS for a Gen 6 SS. It has 15" rotors, same 6-Pistons as the GT, two piece slotted rotors stock. 4-piston rears, as they've had since 2009.
Old 12/23/15, 08:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

The 2016 Camaro uses 4 piston Brembos just like it always has.

The setup on the GT350 is way different than anything on a Camaro Z/28 included. It utilizes a two piece floating rotor as mentioned but it is not connected to the hat via fasteners like most 2 piece designs but rather via pins that extend off the hat to allow the actual rotor to expand as the brake heats up to prevent warping and the fading of brake performance.

Then the 6 piston design is different than that on the Z/28 most notably when you look at the way the pads come out. The pads may be interchangeable but that I don't know to be honest.
Old 12/23/15, 10:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by ford20
The 2016 Camaro uses 4 piston Brembos just like it always has.

The setup on the GT350 is way different than anything on a Camaro Z/28 included. It utilizes a two piece floating rotor as mentioned but it is not connected to the hat via fasteners like most 2 piece designs but rather via pins that extend off the hat to allow the actual rotor to expand as the brake heats up to prevent warping and the fading of brake performance.

Then the 6 piston design is different than that on the Z/28 most notably when you look at the way the pads come out. The pads may be interchangeable but that I don't know to be honest.
The GT350 design is interesting, and different, but I'm just playing devil's advocate here. The SS standard brakes are 4-piston. But the optional brake package is pretty much straight from the Z/28. That's nothing to sneeze at, and it's still better than the PP brake package for the standard GTs.
Old 12/23/15, 12:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Not speaking of anyone in this thread just making a general statement..... There's going to be a lot of upset 350 owners when the SS starts hitting the street and track. Not necessarily the 350R's but I believe the 350 owners are going to wonder what happened.
Old 12/23/15, 12:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by tom281
Not speaking of anyone in this thread just making a general statement..... There's going to be a lot of upset 350 owners when the SS starts hitting the street and track. Not necessarily the 350R's but I believe the 350 owners are going to wonder what happened.
I agree. The design, inside and out, still does nothing for me. And it's a Chevy. But the performance cannot be overlooked, especially stock. I really hope Ford steps their game up with the S550 refresh.
Old 12/23/15, 12:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I agree. The design, inside and out, still does nothing for me. And it's a Chevy. But the performance cannot be overlooked, especially stock. I really hope Ford steps their game up with the S550 refresh.
I agree, I don't like it and would buy a 350 a hundred times before buying a SS but the performance for a stock, non-SE car is remarkable.
Old 12/23/15, 01:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by tom281
I agree, I don't like it and would buy a 350 a hundred times before buying a SS but the performance for a stock, non-SE car is remarkable.
It would be hard for me to justify the GT350 at $50k plus, since there's none around here anywhere near MSRP. The SS is giving the same performance at $37k. In a straight line, my current car easily matches the GT350 in a straight line.

Now I'm sure that new Tremec feels a lot better, and the 8200rpm redline is cool.
Old 12/23/15, 02:02 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,173 Likes on 1,750 Posts
I also don't care for the design either.. Despite being on the lighter Alpha platform, the Camaro still doesn't appeal to me from an appearance point of view in which very little has changed, as I see more of a recycled refresh rather than an all new redesign.. IMHO the Camaro still has the basic lines and overall body shape of the outgoing 5th gen along with the same old rear visibility blind spot issues..

With that being said ! I'd still rather have the GT350 or GT350R over the SS/ Z/28 hands down

Quick Reply: GT350R or Roush Stage 3?