2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

great Q&A with Dave P on 6G

Search this Thread

Old 1/16/14, 09:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
great Q&A with Dave P on 6G

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/show...dave-1313.html

very informative (considering they are still being extremely tight lipped)
GT track pack will beat boss 302
new std GT brakes more capable than the current brembo package
current wheels could fit depending, caliper clearance being the limiting factor
Old 1/16/14, 10:16 AM

Very interesting, even if one has to read between the lines a touch on some responses. Some significant take-aways, IMHO:

Q: Any plans for a Boss 302 replacement...?
A: ...the Mustang has always had specialty cars and performance vehicles. You can expect that we're going to stay on the same path. ...so stay tuned.

My read: "Of course we'll have SEs."

Q: We want to talk top speed ...?
The top speeds have been increased at every level. The V8 does 155 mph (250 km/h), the V6 doing 121 mph (195 km/h), and then the Ecoboost base doing 121 mph, but the Ecoboost Track Pack doing 145 mph (233.5 km/h)....engine cooling is the main factor here.

My read: "Got the power, might need to upgrade cooling for those long Autobahn runs."

Q: ... what's your policy towards tuning...Do you encourage this, try to limit it, or are you neutral?
We embrace all of the customization that goes on and we embrace our aftermarket attempts. ... Anything that gets done post when we give it to you, it's probably not that durable and you're taking that risk upon yourself. But I know people like to do it and as long as they understand the risk they have to take...

My read: "As always, do it at your own risk (bye bye warranty)."

Q: How about the weight?
We're not discussing weight right now. One of the things that you'll see is that we've set very high performance targets for this machine and we are more than hitting those targets.

My read: "No significant weight reduction but still very fast anyways." If it were otherwise, they'd be trumpeting that from every hilltop.

Q: ..are you going to do a version with a solid rear axle?
No, we do not plan to offer a solid rear axle. It would be a fairly significant tear-up to try to even get a rear axle in there.

My read: "No."

Q: 2015 marks the 50th anniversary of the Shelby GT350, is it time for something special?
Right now we're enjoying the brand new Mustang, so I would ask you to stay tuned.

My read: "Yes."

Q: You explain that the new Mustang is quicker, more refined and more economical. That's excellent for Europe, but here in America people don't go out and buy a Mustang for that, the badass-ery is paramount. So what have you done about that driving spirit?
It still retains all of its badass characteristic and even gets to a new level. So, number one, like you said, our current customers are traditionalists, they wanted something fresh, but from a performance perspective, we've raised the bar. ... When it comes to being badass, this car is going to deliver it and it's going to do it better than it's ever done in the past.

My read: "It'll still be 'badass' in the ways the actually matter -- performance -- not just to be simply crude and clunky for its own sake."

Q: ...we've also heard people saying they're afraid it's become diluted due to this globalization.
I think that what we've done is take the Mustang everybody loves and we've been able to make it very modern, something that's looking forward into the future and not always try to live through the past.

My read: Basically his response from an earlier question: "We did not design a global Mustang, we designed a Mustang and we're taking it global." In other words, no, it's not some bland, generic-global Fusion/Accord/Hyundai/Whatever Foreign coupe.
Old 1/16/14, 10:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

i was reading the other quote on materials as well, and i am not sure about the weight thing. I think if the weight was the same they would just answer "will weigh about the same" that would really be a non news thing. why the need for cryptic answers if its not changing. considering they havent really released power ratings i could see weight news being part of the NY show or later. I mean Ford still is a corporation and if the F150 marketing group wants the only weight news to be F150 related at detroit then team mustang has to comply.

my conclusion is that it could be the same or could be less (which isnt much of a conclusion), cant get a read either way
Old 1/16/14, 01:44 PM

I suspect the weight might be only slightly reduced, or, even a touch more >:-O.

I think Ford's reticence stems from earlier Ford/Mullaly pronouncement that all forthcoming cars would see significant reductions (200+lbs) and that the 2015 falls far short of that at best. Also, a lot of chatter about the 2015 was anticipating, rightly or wrongly, such a diet -- should the Mustang not have shed something like 200lbs, it would contravene both earlier corporate pronouncements and also customer expectations.

The, "well if it weighs the same so just say so," argument might have some merit but ironically, might indicate that the 2015 actually weighs more than the S-197, not less (hilltop pronouncements) or the same ("Well, weighs the same folks"). Ford's artful dancing around the issue might indicate a weight gain that they don't want to undermine the launch of the S550.

That all said, I think, unless the S550 is grossly heavier, that the ultimate weight difference will be basically insignificant in regards to the Stang's performance and goals in that it will still be not only faster (numerically) but also a much better, more entertaining, car to drive.
Old 1/16/14, 02:20 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,965 Likes on 1,590 Posts
Originally Posted by xlover
i was reading the other quote on materials as well, and i am not sure about the weight thing. I think if the weight was the same they would just answer "will weigh about the same" that would really be a non news thing. why the need for cryptic answers if its not changing. considering they havent really released power ratings i could see weight news being part of the NY show or later. I mean Ford still is a corporation and if the F150 marketing group wants the only weight news to be F150 related at detroit then team mustang has to comply.

my conclusion is that it could be the same or could be less (which isnt much of a conclusion), cant get a read either way
Don't mean to come off as being **** retentive here, but Ford has never been a corporation..It's been a family owned company since it's beginning over 100 years ago
Old 1/16/14, 02:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Don't mean to come off as being **** retentive here, but Ford has never been a corporation..It's been a family owned company since it's beginning over 100 years ago
dont mean to be **** right back at you but........

going way off topic here but ford is indeed a corporation... the definition of which is that it is set up as separate legal entity. ie you can sue ford motor company not Mr. Ford himself if you have an issue with their cars. a corporation can have many stockholders or be owned by a single person.

also ford is barely family owned, the majority of the market cap is held publicly. while the family retains a special class of shares that retain 51% voting, over indexing for their % of ownership
Old 1/16/14, 04:44 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,965 Likes on 1,590 Posts
Originally Posted by xlover
dont mean to be **** right back at you but........

going way off topic here but ford is indeed a corporation... the definition of which is that it is set up as separate legal entity. ie you can sue ford motor company not Mr. Ford himself if you have an issue with their cars. a corporation can have many stockholders or be owned by a single person.

also ford is barely family owned, the majority of the market cap is held publicly. while the family retains a special class of shares that retain 51% voting, over indexing for their % of ownership
So who owns the majority of Ford Motor Company then ? Bill Ford is still the primary owner and chairman along with Edsel Ford II being on it's board of directors..

Also if IIRC the definition of a company is one that is owned by either a single individual or also considered as a family owned business..

Ford is known as and has always been know as Ford Motor Company, and not as Ford Motor Corporation !

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 1/16/14 at 05:30 PM.