2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Body Panel Issues

Search this Thread

Old 4/26/15, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Body Panel Issues

First, let me say I love my 2015 Mustang GT. I have just 2 issues. One, after 500 miles the squeaks are coming on strong from the dash and door. Having those looked at tomorrow. Second is body panel alignment. I picked mine up and didn't noticr any issues until I got it home. I've since noticed substantial alignment problems with the drivers side rear panel where it meets the bumper. It looks great on the passenger side, but there are all sorts of issues with the gaps/lack of gaps, edges not aligned, etc. but only on the drivers side. I was going to have that looked at tomorrow too, but detailing it today I noticed another issue on the same panel. There is an uneven spot under the paint, almost looks like a slight dip in the metal. No issue with the paint..just how it reflects because the dimple is there. This dimple is just in front of where the deck wing on the trunk overlaps the body panel under it. This is the same body panel that is misaligned with the bumper.

Is it possible that the dealer or Ford tried to align the bumper and body panel and put so much stress on the body panel that after driving 500-700 miles the body panel rippled?
Dealer is saying they will take care of me. I hate having to mess with paint or body filler, but I doubt Ford will give me any other option. Seriously doubt they will give me a new car! I don't want one as I've tinted the windows and love this car. Anyone experienced this and is it a BIG deal to have this panel repainted? Trying to feel better about reduced value/etc. After body work is done. Also hoping they can align th panels because I really do love this car.

Thanks!
Old 4/27/15, 08:15 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Docfinder1
First, let me say I love my 2015 Mustang GT. I have just 2 issues. One, after 500 miles the squeaks are coming on strong from the dash and door. Having those looked at tomorrow. Second is body panel alignment. I picked mine up and didn't noticr any issues until I got it home. I've since noticed substantial alignment problems with the drivers side rear panel where it meets the bumper. It looks great on the passenger side, but there are all sorts of issues with the gaps/lack of gaps, edges not aligned, etc. but only on the drivers side. I was going to have that looked at tomorrow too, but detailing it today I noticed another issue on the same panel. There is an uneven spot under the paint, almost looks like a slight dip in the metal. No issue with the paint..just how it reflects because the dimple is there. This dimple is just in front of where the deck wing on the trunk overlaps the body panel under it. This is the same body panel that is misaligned with the bumper.

Is it possible that the dealer or Ford tried to align the bumper and body panel and put so much stress on the body panel that after driving 500-700 miles the body panel rippled?
Dealer is saying they will take care of me. I hate having to mess with paint or body filler, but I doubt Ford will give me any other option. Seriously doubt they will give me a new car! I don't want one as I've tinted the windows and love this car. Anyone experienced this and is it a BIG deal to have this panel repainted? Trying to feel better about reduced value/etc. After body work is done. Also hoping they can align th panels because I really do love this car.

Thanks!
Welcome and congrats on your new vehicle, Docfinder1! I’m happy to get these concerns escalated for you. This will help your dealer address these issues for you. Please, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha
Old 4/27/15, 08:26 AM

Thanks

Originally Posted by FordService
Welcome and congrats on your new vehicle, Docfinder1! I’m happy to get these concerns escalated for you. This will help your dealer address these issues for you. Please, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha
Deysha I PM'd my info last night to you. Please check your messages.
Todd
Old 4/27/15, 08:35 AM

I am PM it to you again
Old 4/27/15, 09:22 AM

Deysha I PM'd my info last night to you. Please check your messages.
I am PM it to you again
Thanks, Docfinder1! There was nothing from last night.

Deysha
Old 4/27/15, 09:29 AM

It should be in your inbox now
Old 4/27/15, 10:04 AM

Dropped off my car at 8 am. Spoke to sales manager at 9 pm. He called in body shop manager who has been working on these issues since about 10 am. As of about 5 min ago every panel issue has been fixed, except for a tail light to black trunk lid panel alignment which he assured could be fixed very quickly. Must say..very impressed thus far. The dent on that panel appears to be from the factory install of deck wing, some piece wasn't taken off so when trunk was closed it put a dimple in the metal. They feel the ding repair guy can fix without any paint. I hope so! Every single mustang on this dealer lot has major alignment issues, including their 50th anniversary that is parked inside as a display. Ford seems to have handled front end gap issues but trunk and side panel alignment still lacks a lot of QC.
Old 4/27/15, 10:26 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 148 Likes on 112 Posts
when you need to spit these things out as fast as ford needs to they cant help but have a few quality issues ..
Old 4/27/15, 10:39 AM

Perfect

All alignment issues have now been resolved by body shop guy. He was simply amazing. Perfection! The only issue now is the small dent they need to pull out using the paintless dent guy. My GT looks better than anything on the lot now!
Old 4/27/15, 12:12 PM

Dropped off my car at 8 am. Spoke to sales manager at 9 pm. He called in body shop manager who has been working on these issues since about 10 am. As of about 5 min ago every panel issue has been fixed, except for a tail light to black trunk lid panel alignment which he assured could be fixed very quickly. Must say..very impressed thus far. The dent on that panel appears to be from the factory install of deck wing, some piece wasn't taken off so when trunk was closed it put a dimple in the metal. They feel the ding repair guy can fix without any paint. I hope so! Every single mustang on this dealer lot has major alignment issues, including their 50th anniversary that is parked inside as a display. Ford seems to have handled front end gap issues but trunk and side panel alignment still lacks a lot of QC.
All alignment issues have now been resolved by body shop guy. He was simply amazing. Perfection! The only issue now is the small dent they need to pull out using the paintless dent guy. My GT looks better than anything on the lot now!
That is great, Docfinder1! Would you like me to hold off on escalating this for you?

Deysha
Old 4/27/15, 12:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HOSS429
when you need to spit these things out as fast as ford needs to they cant help but have a few quality issues ..
A few quality issues? Have you actually been reading the threads about this and the bubbling paint and any number of SYNC/MyFordTouch threads on this and other sites? Some of them problems that have been ongoing for years, if not for multiple model generations.
Old 4/27/15, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by FordService
That is great, Docfinder1! Would you like me to hold off on escalating this for you?

Deysha
Deysha...I never thought I would say this, but every issue was fixed today. One of the panels that had a dent actually had a "high spot" according to the body guy. His opinion was it came from Ford assembly line. I've got to stress the importance of buying from a dealer that does a lot of volume, services and sees a lot of Fords. The body guy said he has been dealing with ford panel issues for years and knew immediately he could fix it when he looked at it. Even the high spot was fixed flawlessly without drilling or heating. I am grateful to this dealer.
Old 4/27/15, 05:42 PM

I looked at every single Mustang on the lot. Must have been 30 or more. All had issues where rear bumper meets body panel, and/or trunk or brake light alignment. The body guy told me very plainly, they cannot afford to spend 4 hours on every mustang off the truck, so they fix whatever people bring back in or request repaired. He said that the more lines on a car, the more,the,panels cost and the more difficult QC is for manufacturing. I love my Mustang, but what ever happened to American manufacturing pride? These are folks working on the most classic or classic car models. To have body lines that do not even come close to lining up is knowingly passing off poor quality.
Old 4/28/15, 06:30 AM

Deysha...I never thought I would say this, but every issue was fixed today. One of the panels that had a dent actually had a "high spot" according to the body guy. His opinion was it came from Ford assembly line. I've got to stress the importance of buying from a dealer that does a lot of volume, services and sees a lot of Fords. The body guy said he has been dealing with ford panel issues for years and knew immediately he could fix it when he looked at it. Even the high spot was fixed flawlessly without drilling or heating. I am grateful to this dealer.
That is awesome, Docfinder1! Thank you very much for the info!

Deysha
Old 4/28/15, 11:11 AM
V6 Member

I have waxed my car 4 times and find everything to be very acceptable.I have painted over 200 cars and think I know what to look for.Maybe I just got lucky or maybe you guys expect perfection to the nth dgree. It is not perfect and I didnt think it would be.No car is.
Attached Thumbnails Body Panel Issues-p1040539.jpg  
Old 5/6/15, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by rider
I have waxed my car 4 times and find everything to be very acceptable.I have painted over 200 cars and think I know what to look for.Maybe I just got lucky or maybe you guys expect perfection to the nth dgree. It is not perfect and I didnt think it would be.No car is.
I'm sure some folks might get picky, but the majority of the panel issues I've seen and that I actually had was far from seeking perfection. Have you looked around at some of the pictures of people's hoods, rear quarter panel or door issues? It's not like folks are busting out the caliper amd tape measure. In my case you could literally see into the bumper area due to the gaping hole where the two panels met. Where that panel wrapped around to the trunk the edge stuck out so far it would catch my towel every time I washed it. The solution for my car required evening out gaps around trunk, adjusting the brake lights, adjusting the bumper and connecting clips that were missing. Now that it is fixed, it isn't perfect, but it is as imperfect as every other car on the road.

Nobody is expecting perfection, but a little QC would be nice. Glad your car is perfect. It is possible that your dealer is adjusting panels before selling them...the way it should be
Old 6/6/15, 02:29 PM

Deysha: Just wanted to say thanks for being really customer focused on this forum. I'm new to the forum but in reviewing all the posts I see that you are right on top of any issues that arise with Forum owners. I worked in Customer Service in the Aerospace industry of over 40 years and know how hard it is to keep everyone happy. You have the right attitude to keep Ford customers loyal to the brand. Thanks again.

Last edited by Iceman1947; 6/6/15 at 02:31 PM.
Old 6/8/15, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Iceman1947
Deysha: Just wanted to say thanks for being really customer focused on this forum. I'm new to the forum but in reviewing all the posts I see that you are right on top of any issues that arise with Forum owners. I worked in Customer Service in the Aerospace industry of over 40 years and know how hard it is to keep everyone happy. You have the right attitude to keep Ford customers loyal to the brand. Thanks again.
Awwwe!! Thank you very much, Iceman1947!!

Deysha
Old 7/12/16, 06:13 PM

Hi Deysha,
I am having the same body panel alignment issues but only with the front fascia where the bumper does not align with the hood. Been to a few Ford dealerships and although they all see and acknowledge the problem they don't want to fix it and say that the defect is "normal". It has been super frustrating that these dealerships would call their misalignment as normal defect and not stand behind their product. Please help!
Old 7/22/16, 10:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by MakAttack
although they all see and acknowledge the problem they don't want to fix it and say that the defect is "normal". Please help!
Ahh, the old "Normal" or "Working as Designed", sorry no warranty quote.

It seems to be the new norm for manufacturers that won't stand behind their warranty. Probably due to what may turn out more than a minimal cost involved in the claim's repair.

Quick Reply: Body Panel Issues