2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Android Auto for SYNC 3?

Search this Thread

Old 11/14/15, 02:39 PM
GT Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Android Auto for SYNC 3?

I've read several articles saying that SYNC 3 supports Android Auto but can't get it to work. Anyone have any luck with it? Anymore info they can share? Thanks!
Old 11/14/15, 03:57 PM
GT Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Well dayum...my phone (Doid Maxx)is not compatible!
Old 11/14/15, 04:20 PM
Ford In-Vehicle Technology Rep

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey guys,

We're still working on the integration of Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. At this time it is not supported. Please stay tuned.

Whitney
Old 11/14/15, 04:27 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by FordIVTteam
Hey guys,

We're still working on the integration of Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. At this time it is not supported. Please stay tuned.

Whitney
Thanks for the reply! Is there a time frame at all on availability?
Old 11/17/15, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by CoyotePremium13
Thanks for the reply! Is there a time frame at all on availability?
You're welcome, CoyotePremium13. We haven't received an ETA. I'll let you know when more information becomes available.

Whitney
Old 11/21/15, 02:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's hoping it's soon! I'm having issues with my navigation freezing or becoming inop on my 2016 GT, and the dealer has been little help in resolving the issue. I really like Sync 3, but I'd much rather just be able to mirror my phone with Android Auto.

JR
Old 11/21/15, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by godspunk32
Here's hoping it's soon! I'm having issues with my navigation freezing or becoming inop on my 2016 GT, and the dealer has been little help in resolving the issue. I really like Sync 3, but I'd much rather just be able to mirror my phone with Android Auto.

JR
Hey godspunk32,

Have you tried a Sync 3 Reboot? Hold the power button and right seek arrow until the screen shuts off.

You may also want to try another dealership: http://owner.ford.com/dealer-locator.html?zip=32901#/

If the issue continues, let me know and we'll look in to some other options.

Whitney
Old 11/21/15, 04:48 PM
GT Member

JR
I'm not having issue's, but honestly I don't like how they have the layout. It just seems confusing to me like too much is going on at once. I like how google maps is laid out and would love for it to integrate with SYNC 3 soon!
Old 11/21/15, 09:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by FordIVTteam
Hey godspunk32,

Have you tried a Sync 3 Reboot? Hold the power button and right seek arrow until the screen shuts off.

You may also want to try another dealership: http://owner.ford.com/dealer-locator.html?zip=32901#/

If the issue continues, let me know and we'll look in to some other options.

Whitney
I have tried that, and it didn't solve the problem. I've also tried a master reset from within the Sync 3 system.

When I brought it into the dealer (Jones Ford), the tech drove the vehicle to his home and back (I did not authorize that), was unable to replicate the issue, and sent the vehicle back to me. The service manager was unable to tell me if the tech used any diagnostic equipment to look at log files, or check if there were any error codes.

I'm a systems engineer, and I specialize in Solaris and Red Hat, which, I know, isn't QNX, but regardless, given a serial port and a username/password (and enough time, I don't even need the username and password), I could read the system log files to find out if there's a daemon that's dying, myself. I wish the Sync 3 system had an intelligent memory dump option, or a truss/strace, that would allow me to view what's going on and provide some additional feedback on system operation to point you towards the culprit.

Until then, I'm just waiting for another event.

JR
Old 11/21/15, 09:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by CoyotePremium13
I'm not having issue's, but honestly I don't like how they have the layout. It just seems confusing to me like too much is going on at once. I like how google maps is laid out and would love for it to integrate with SYNC 3 soon!
I think the layout is fantastic, and it's worlds better than My Ford Touch. I didn't have an issue with MFT, but this beats it, hands out. It's fast, responsive, attractive, and well laid out, from a UX standpoint.

The only thing that I would like to see in future updates (Whitney, maybe you could take this as feedback), would be that in nighttime mode, I'd like to see a differentiation in color - meaning that during daytime mode, you get a soft gray as a background, and everything else pops against that. At night, everything is black, so there is little to differentiate between options. Even a subtle variation in tone, from black to gray, would help nighttime operations.

JR
Old 11/22/15, 06:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think the layout is fantastic, and it's worlds better than My Ford Touch. I didn't have an issue with MFT, but this beats it, hands out...
Beats it even when it's freezing up and inop and the dealer can't make it right, or beats it when it's actually working as advertised?
Old 11/22/15, 08:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by wannabe
Beats it even when it's freezing up and inop and the dealer can't make it right, or beats it when it's actually working as advertised?
Both. MFT was laggy, ugly, and just confusing to use. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall in some of the user interface meetings when they were designing that interface!

At the end of the day, I can still pull over, restart my car, and have an attractive, easy to use interface. Folks that are stuck with MFT can't do that.

JR
Old 11/23/15, 08:55 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Both. MFT was laggy, ugly, and just confusing to use. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall in some of the user interface meetings when they were designing that interface!

At the end of the day, I can still pull over, restart my car, and have an attractive, easy to use interface. Folks that are stuck with MFT can't do that.

JR
I loved the layout of MFT. The 4 corners made a lot of sense to me. I could jump directly to one of the 4 major sections without taking my eyes off the road by just tapping the appropriate corner.

I will give you that it was slow and laggy, but the UX concept was sound in my opinion. However, now that there are Mobile Apps to integrate, the 4 corners philosophy no longer works since there are 5 major sections.
Old 11/24/15, 06:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

...At the end of the day, I can still pull over, restart my car, and have an attractive, easy to use interface...
In case you missed it, my point was you shouldn't have to pull over and restart the car.
Old 11/24/15, 08:13 AM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In case you missed it, my point was you shouldn't have to pull over and restart the car.
With my 2012 Focus when MFT started getting funky, navigation was off, or got error messages related to the parking sensors, before I did anything, I would either pull over and restart the car or see if it happened again next time I drove the car. All of this stuff is computer based and what is the first thing you are supposed to do when you have computer problems? "Reboot the computer". Restarting the car reboots all of the computer stuff and most of the time, it cleared up what ever the issue was.
Old 11/24/15, 05:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 15BluStang
With my 2012 Focus when MFT started getting funky, navigation was off, or got error messages related to the parking sensors, before I did anything, I would either pull over and restart the car or see if it happened again next time I drove the car. All of this stuff is computer based and what is the first thing you are supposed to do when you have computer problems? "Reboot the computer". Restarting the car reboots all of the computer stuff and most of the time, it cleared up what ever the issue was.
I understand that. But as long as people continue to just 'accept' it as the way it is, there's no incentive for Ford or Chrysler or Nissan to fix the underlying problem(s). So they don't. Yet they continue to add more electronic gadgetry that may or may not ever work reliably.
Old 11/24/15, 07:08 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I understand that. But as long as people continue to just 'accept' it as the way it is, there's no incentive for Ford or Chrysler or Nissan to fix the underlying problem(s). So they don't. Yet they continue to add more electronic gadgetry that may or may not ever work reliably.
The MFT of today is so much better than the MFT I was using in 2012. There were a number of improvements in the way it works and it is much more stable than it was in 2012. As it is, I think a lot of the bad mouthing of MFT is based on what it was when it first came out, not what it is today. Sync 3 is new and there are going to bugs initially. No matter how much Ford tests, people are going to use it in ways that Ford never imagined or tested. And just like MFT, Ford is going to fix the bugs and make improvements. They just are not going to happen in time frames that some people want. But they probably going to be happening faster than with MFT since if I remember correctly, they have made the update easier.
Old 11/25/15, 08:06 AM

Hey guys,

Make sure you check out Ford Social to let us know what you'd like to see in your vehicles. Get your voice heard. Here's the link: https://social.ford.com/content/ford...home-page.html

I have tried that, and it didn't solve the problem. I've also tried a master reset from within the Sync 3 system.

When I brought it into the dealer (Jones Ford), the tech drove the vehicle to his home and back (I did not authorize that), was unable to replicate the issue, and sent the vehicle back to me. The service manager was unable to tell me if the tech used any diagnostic equipment to look at log files, or check if there were any error codes.

I'm a systems engineer, and I specialize in Solaris and Red Hat, which, I know, isn't QNX, but regardless, given a serial port and a username/password (and enough time, I don't even need the username and password), I could read the system log files to find out if there's a daemon that's dying, myself. I wish the Sync 3 system had an intelligent memory dump option, or a truss/strace, that would allow me to view what's going on and provide some additional feedback on system operation to point you towards the culprit.

Until then, I'm just waiting for another event.

JR
JR,

If the issue occurs again, check out the link I provided to locate another dealer.

If you have issues beyond that. please let me know and we can look in to an escalation if needed.

Whitney
Old 11/28/15, 06:54 AM
GT Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I wish the SYNC 3 had the same screen layout as the MFT's I had in my '13 and '15 Explorers. I never experienced any type of screen freezing in my MFTs. The current NAV SUXS. You cannot save your current location to your favorites unless you have a physical street address. My old MFT had an option to "Save current location to Favorites" button. I also wish we had a home screen that was the same as the old MFT. you were able to select radio/station presets from the home screen. And you were able to add your own wallpaper to the home screen to customize the MFT. The current one is quite lame and cheap looking. Some text and graphics are too small to read at a quick glance without taking your eyes off the road for too long like the clock and Temp.

Last edited by Dr Plastic; 11/28/15 at 06:55 AM.
Old 11/28/15, 11:21 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Dr Plastic
Some text and graphics are too small to read at a quick glance without taking your eyes off the road for too long like the clock and Temp.
That's exactly what I'm talking about with the SYNC 3's navigation. There's too much going on and it takes too much time to figure out where you are on the map because everything is small and scattered. But that's just the way I feel I guess. That's why I am looking forward to Android Auto being compatible soon.

Quick Reply: Android Auto for SYNC 3?