2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

AFM Focus Group info / Jalopnik article reveals more 2015 "info"

Search this Thread

Old 10/4/12, 07:32 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
They're just grabbing on what people saw in the clinic.
Rehash of someones vague recollection
Old 10/4/12, 07:34 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
That front his a nightmare. I'd rather walk. Or drive a II.
Old 10/4/12, 07:57 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
That front his a nightmare. I'd rather walk. Or drive a II.
You have many other options in your stable as to walk . . . or drive a II. Though I would like to see a II with a new Boss drivetrain. Already seen one with a 347 and Cobra anniversary rims and it is lovely!!
Old 10/4/12, 08:48 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are we sure this isn't a '14 rather than '15?
Old 10/4/12, 09:04 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2
Are we sure this isn't a '14 rather than '15?
Yeah, that's old news.
Old 10/4/12, 09:08 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Evil_Capri
You have many other options in your stable as to walk . . . or drive a II. Though I would like to see a II with a new Boss drivetrain. Already seen one with a 347 and Cobra anniversary rims and it is lovely!!
pics?
Old 10/4/12, 09:36 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by black_bullitt
I read his description of the tail lights a half dozen times, and this is all I can muster based on what he said.

nice work.. have to see how close that'll be
Old 10/4/12, 10:08 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Man, I always wished I could be part of these focus groups. Ford wouldn't really want me there though because the minute i got home I could draw a identical picture to the car I saw out of my head.
Old 10/4/12, 10:11 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Remember this car spotted at gingerman with the paint connecting the windows.

Old 10/4/12, 11:35 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Evil_Capri
347 is easy enough, but the Cobra rims seem like a real PITA to get under there and look right?
Old 10/4/12, 11:46 PM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by black_bullitt

Excellent work. Didn't one of them say the rear end doesn't "taper" like the 2010-2014? I read that to mean the lights may be similar to the 2005-2009 in shape.....and one of them mentioned them being similar to the '69 lights.

However, the first fella also said they reminded him of the rear quater window covers............so you're image would be spot on in that respect.

Confused much?

Last edited by Twin Turbo; 10/4/12 at 11:59 PM.
Old 10/4/12, 11:48 PM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Knight
Remember this car spotted at gingerman with the paint connecting the windows.

I certainly do.

Wasn't the white one a Boss mule?

I thought so at the time, and still think so now........unless it's a trick of the light, that rear quarter panel looks more flared than the stand car.

Not so keen on the black bumper and mis-matched wheels though
Old 10/5/12, 12:09 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by four-walling
A third brake light under the license plate?-that does not meet the "current" safety standard.
Check out the halopnik article bout the next gen mustang. Says its a rear foglight or something to comply with european safety regulations
Old 10/5/12, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
Excellent work. Didn't one of them say the rear end doesn't "taper" like the 2010-2014? I read that to mean the lights may be similar to the 2005-2009 in shape.....and one of them mentioned them being similar to the '69 lights.

However, the first fella also said they reminded him of the rear quater window covers............so you're image would be spot on in that respect.

Confused much?
I do recall seeing him say the rear was flat again, though I am not sure how that translates into the overall shape. Only when I saw his 'sketch' did I begin to understand that they may be rectangular over all. He also mentioned one section being one size, the next being smaller, and the 3rd smaller still. That's where I went with my rough draft above.

What I'm curious about is his use of the word louvered, as well as the other guy mentioning that the sections protrude at a 45* angle. I haven't been able to wrap my head around all of that. Did he mean louvered like a true 1/4 window louver, with slits cut, space for open air to move through, etc? When I think of louvered tail lights, I think of the old fox body tails. Or did he just mean scalloped/stacked? The 99-04 taillights were done like that, to a degree. Then he said he could get his fingers in the so called louvers, so who really knows.

So yes, color me confused! But it's fun thinking of the possibilities.

This could be a really brilliant mis-information campaign by Ford if you think about it. Get a couple dudes to post some painfully vague information about what they "saw" and get the masses chasing their tales trying to pin down the details.
Old 10/5/12, 05:26 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The way he explained it was by the use of water bottles large/med/small and cutting them in half and stacking them side by side.

One side of the light being rounded, the other being flat (inside of the louver)
I'm guessing from this that they are a more 3D looking light that has some depth to them, rather than the flat look of the earlier S197s and such.

The tail lights are the coolest. They are actually louvered and projecting out. Kinda like the quarter window louvers. They are solid red.
I will describe it. There was three segments in each of the tail lights. (Traditional Mustang). Except each segment was louvered over the next. I reached in and grabbed one of the louvers. They are three dimensional and you can put your fingers inside the louvers (pretty deep). I had my fingers inside the louver and my thumb outside the louver and my palm was wrapped around the curved part. The outside of the louvers are rounded and have the appearance of the middle section of a plastic water bottle. The inside of the louvers are flat. The entire light is red, with no white at all.
Get three water bottles. Now cut the drinking spout off of them. Now cut the bottles in half, lengthwise. You will have a rounded part and a flat part on each bottle. Of cours the flat part will be open but imagine in is not. Now cut one of the bottles smaller then the first and the third bottle even smaller then the second. Now paint them red and louver them over each other with about a 45 degree angle.
I'm trying to picture it in my head, but I'll have to wait to see it to really get an idea of what he's talking about.

Last edited by Boomer; 10/5/12 at 05:28 AM.
Old 10/5/12, 05:52 AM

I guess the next step is asking....

What kind of water does this guy drink??

I've got another few ideas I've been penning on the notepad here at work today. I'll either post the ink sketches or put them in the computer again when I get home.

Last edited by black_bullitt; 10/5/12 at 05:53 AM.
Old 10/5/12, 06:03 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
pics?
Originally Posted by bob
347 is easy enough, but the Cobra rims seem like a real PITA to get under there and look right?
Yeah, give me a couple of days to find them . . . if they are still on my other hard drive. The pictures have been posted on TMS, but the link has died.
Old 10/5/12, 06:11 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Finally new news! just enough to get me interested again.
Old 10/5/12, 09:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Boomer
The way he explained it was by the use of water bottles large/med/small and cutting them in half and stacking them side by side.

One side of the light being rounded, the other being flat (inside of the louver)
I'm guessing from this that they are a more 3D looking light that has some depth to them, rather than the flat look of the earlier S197s and such.

I'm trying to picture it in my head, but I'll have to wait to see it to really get an idea of what he's talking about.
Now it got me wondering, could it be what he saw was just a cover to hide the real design of the taillights?
Old 10/5/12, 12:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Something else to consider on the size of the car. Bigger cars are just easier to make safer. It's much easier to satisfy safety requirements if you can keep the size of the car relatively bigger. So if Ford can reach their MPG goals without drastically reducing the size of the car, I'm sure from an engineering stand point that would be much more desirable. Reducing the size of the car too much would probably require much more R&D to continue to keep within safety regulations. So perhaps we won't see the size of the Mustang greatly reduced until in the future it becomes necessary. I.E...once they start struggling to meet MPG requirements with current engine technology that they start looking at alternate strategies.

Quick Reply: AFM Focus Group info / Jalopnik article reveals more 2015 "info"