2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

725HP First production Mustang-based Galpin Rocket

Search this Thread

Old 3/13/15, 07:43 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,138 Likes on 1,719 Posts
Originally Posted by 3point7
Very likely barring anything unforeseen. We could all go back and forth for days about what the front end of the 2015 looks like. In the end it doesn't matter to me. The only thing that matters is that it's ugly and I don't like it. To my eye the photo shopped front ends are vastly improved and I could see me buying something like that. But the current front end? No way brother.
As I've mentioned in these threads before Rob, I have nothing personal against the new 2015 Mustangs.. I just prefer the look of the 05-14's in overall appeal more
Old 3/13/15, 07:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
I almost like the whole deal. Very cool concept. Price wise would be a big deal with me also. I think for the extra 50k it take to get one of those you could have yourself a really awesome 2015 gt with the 700hp and have plenty of cash left over for lots of beer and suspension mods.

On side note Mark why not just post the whole article here instead of making us click on a link to the rest of the story?
Old 3/13/15, 07:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
As I've mentioned in these threads before Rob, I have nothing personal against the new 2015 Mustangs.. I just prefer the look of the 05-14's in overall appeal more
I actually like everything about the 2015 except the front end. Some people I have seen say they don't like the back end. I have no problem with the back, I think it looks good. I like the profile shot until you get to the front end and then the squinty little headlamps ruin it. The front end from a head on point of view is terrible. In my eye, it ruins the whole car because the symmetry of the headlamps does not work with the grill opening. It is that poorly done. The Galpin is at least an attempt to address the obvious issues with the front end and the photo shopped variants are a further improvement on that attempt in my eye. There will never be a time when all of us agree on the look of a car and there are plenty of fans of the S550 that like how it looks. I just happen to think that the front end has ruined an otherwise great looking car and I will never own one. But an S550 with that photo shopped front end, now that would be something I would buy. Beauty is in the eye as they say.

Last edited by 3point7; 3/13/15 at 08:00 PM.
Old 3/13/15, 08:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo

I guess I should try and explain so that people understand where I'm coming from and I don't come off just sounding like "I don't like it for no reason!" lol

Alright, take a look at that body line just below the headlamp assembly. See how it flows across the front and sort of frames in the upper grill opening? That creates good symmetry. The body lines flow naturally and smoothly across the front of the car and there is a good proportional relation from the headlamps to the grill.

Now, take a look at the 2015 factory front end.

Now, see how the body line below the headlamp just runs into the grill? It just doesn't flow smooth and natural. To me it looks almost as if they used the grill opening from one car and the headlamps from another car and they just don't blend well. The lower grill opening is fine with good symmetry. But the upper grill is just awkward and it doesn't work for me.

Anyway that's what I see that just doesn't work for me.
Old 3/13/15, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kind of looks like a DB9 lol
Old 3/13/15, 08:30 PM

I actually like everything about the 2015 except the front end. Some people I have seen say they don't like the back end. I have no problem with the back, I think it looks good. I like the profile shot until you get to the front end and then the squinty little headlamps ruin it. The front end from a head on point of view is terrible. In my eye, it ruins the whole car. It is that poorly done. The Galpin is at least an attempt to address the obvious issues with the front end and the photo shopped variants are a further improvement on that attempt in my eye. There will never be a time when all of us agree on the look of a car and there are plenty of fans of the S550 that like how it looks. I just happen to think that the front end has ruined an otherwise great looking car and I will never own one. But an S550 with that photo shopped front end, now that would be something I would buy. Beauty is in the eye as they say.
My favorite feature by far, is definitely the back end, because Ford finally brought back the full slopping fastback that I loved so much on the classic 67-70 Mustangs and IMO this is what Ford should had done with the design on the 05-14 S-197 models rather than make it look more like a coupe trying to morph itself into a fastback.. This just made the back end of the car look unfinished and incomplete to me..

But Ford finally got the back end and the profile just perfect on the S550 for sure, but I do agree with you on the front, as I don't care for those squinty wrap around headlights either, as I much prefer the classic round headlamps from the 05-14's instead..

Now on the other hand, if the S550 had the same front valance as the 2015 Saleen variants ? I'd be all over the 2015 without a doubt and wouldn't have a single compliant at all, however I think we all know by now the 2015 Saleens aren't going to be in production for very long to say the very least
Old 3/13/15, 08:39 PM

I guess I should try and explain so that people understand where I'm coming from and I don't come off just sounding like "I don't like it for no reason!" lol

Alright, take a look at that body line just below the headlamp assembly. See how it flows across the front and sort of frames in the upper grill opening? That creates good symmetry. The body lines flow naturally and smoothly across the front of the car and there is a good proportional relation from the headlamps to the grill.

Now, take a look at the 2015 factory front end.

Now, see how the body line below the headlamp just runs into the grill? It just doesn't flow smooth and natural. To me it looks almost as if they used the grill opening from one car and the headlamps from another car and they just don't blend well. The lower grill opening is fine with good symmetry. But the upper grill is just awkward and it doesn't work for me.

Anyway that's what I see that just doesn't work for me.
Yes ! I see what you mean and understand where your coming from.. I just don't like the shape of the wide mouth grille, they need to make it smaller more narrow.. Take a close look at the 2015 Saleen rendering and you'll see exactly where I'm coming from Rob
Old 3/13/15, 08:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yes ! I see what you mean and understand where your coming from.. I just don't like the shape of the wide mouth grille, they need to make it smaller more narrow.. Take a close look at the 2015 Saleen rendering and you'll see exactly where I'm coming from Rob
I wouldn't disagree with that. That is the problem when they decided to use those narrow wrap around headlamps. It pushes the headlamp assemblies out the extreme corners of the front end and the end result is that they had to use a wider grill opening or risk having acres of plastic between the headlamps and the grill which would also look awkward.

If they are going to keep the current grill opening the headlamp assemblies need to be taller from top to bottom so that they are in better proportion to the grill opening. If they make the grill shorter from top to bottom to even up the proportions than once again they have a really big bumper between the upper grill and the lower grill, which looks awkward lol. Bottom line is that the proportions as is don't work and they need to rethink the entire front end.

At the very least I would push the actual projector beams inboard in the headlamp assembly instead of outboard as they are now.
Old 3/13/15, 08:51 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,252 Likes on 1,678 Posts
I'd rocket get it? I'll be here all night...
Old 3/13/15, 08:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Mustang Freak
I'd rocket get it? I'll be here all night...
budumpbump.
Old 3/13/15, 08:58 PM

I wouldn't disagree with that. That is the problem when they decided to use those narrow wrap around headlamps. It pushes the headlamp assemblies out the extreme corners of the front end and the end result is that they had to use a wider grill opening or risk having acres of plastic between the headlamps and the grill which would also look awkward.

If they are going to keep the current grill opening the headlamp assemblies need to be taller from top to bottom so that they are in better proportion to the grill opening. If they make the grill shorter from top to bottom to even up the proportions than once again they have a really big bumper between the upper grill and the lower grill, which looks awkward lol. Bottom line is that the proportions as is don't work and they need to rethink the entire front end.

At the very least I would push the actual projector beams inboard in the headlamp assembly instead of outboard as they are now.
I totally agree, if they're going to stick with the current grill design ? Then at least change the design of the headlamps so that the front end doesn't look so out of proportion as in having the appearance of looking bug eyed or something lol.

Just wish I could remember which thread someone posted the 2015 Saleen rendering ? I'd post it in this thread for you to check out for yourself if only I could remember
Old 3/13/15, 09:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

I totally agree, if they're going to stick with the current grill design ? Then at least change the design of the headlamps so that the front end doesn't look so out of proportion as in having the appearance of looking bug eyed or something lol.

Just wish I could remember which thread someone posted the 2015 Saleen rendering ? I'd post it in this thread for you to check out for yourself if only I could remember

It's this car, and if you'll notice Saleen did exactly what I was talking about. They made the upper grill opening shorter from top to bottom so that the body line beneath the headlamp runs smoothly across the front end and has good symmetry and there is good proportion from the headlamps to the grill. Then they made the lower grill opening taller so that there isn't a huge bumper between the upper and lower grill.

These things are pretty obvious, it baffles me that Ford didn't see it in their design.

Notice that Roush did much the same thing. The body line beneath the headlamp assembly flows beneath the grill opening instead of just running into the corner of it? That front end in fact is very similar to the photo shopped Galpin. But nobody bashes the Roush. lol

Last edited by 3point7; 3/13/15 at 09:14 PM.
Old 3/13/15, 09:20 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,252 Likes on 1,678 Posts
Burn the Saleen/crapmaro with fire!!!
Old 3/13/15, 09:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Love it or hate it, the reality is that every aftermarket company that has done something with the 2015 has made an effort to change the look of the front end. That in itself tells us everything we need to know I think.
Old 3/13/15, 09:49 PM

It's this car, and if you'll notice Saleen did exactly what I was talking about. They made the upper grill opening shorter from top to bottom so that the body line beneath the headlamp runs smoothly across the front end and has good symmetry and there is good proportion from the headlamps to the grill. Then they made the lower grill opening taller so that there isn't a huge bumper between the upper and lower grill.

These things are pretty obvious, it baffles me that Ford didn't see it in their design.

Notice that Roush did much the same thing. The body line beneath the headlamp assembly flows beneath the grill opening instead of just running into the corner of it? That front end in fact is very similar to the photo shopped Galpin. But nobody bashes the Roush. lol
But the difference between the Roush and photoshopped Galpin is.. The Roush uses a separate upper and lower grille similar with the Saleen render where as the Galpin doesn't.. Both the Roush and Saleen have shorter grille openings from top to bottom
Old 3/13/15, 09:55 PM

When I first saw the Saleen render, that's what I thought as well, but since then I compare it more along the lines with the 2011-12 GT front valance rather than with the crapmaro lol.
Old 3/14/15, 03:30 AM
GTR Member

Thumbs up

Both of these are a dramatic improvement of the front end design. Are you paying attention Ford? Maybe you should have hired Twin Turbo.
That's excellent work Twin, great job.
Haha.....I cannot take credit for the Photoshops, they were just posted on another forum.

But if Ford want to hire me, that's cool
Old 3/14/15, 05:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DarrenGT
DUDE that revised grill makes a WORLD of difference to me. I love that 'minor' adjustment lol
It looks a hell of a lot better with a "new" grill lol. The one they have is hideous.
Old 3/14/15, 06:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
There are no mustangs in this picture only a bad picture of a model on the right
Old 3/14/15, 09:29 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
As much as I love carbon fiber, i think i would consider getting one of it wasn't all CF and priced a little lower. the first thing i would do is get a new grill. so i guess I won't be getting one

Quick Reply: 725HP First production Mustang-based Galpin Rocket