2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

2015 premium GT with shaker

Search this Thread

Old 7/23/15, 10:18 AM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by orange3.9stang
Mustang is an exception.

One of the best systems Ford ever did was the 1994-2004 Mach460 system for the Mustang. They even upgraded this later with an optional Mach1000 system that added a subwoofer.

My 2011 Premium w/ "Shaker" is a downgrade from the Mach460 I had in 1994, 1998 & 2004 Mustangs and the 2015 Premium EB rental I had for a week w/ "Shaker" sure seemed like a downgrade from my 2011.

I've never had a Mustang with the Mach1000 or Shaker Pro so I can't offer any comments there, but I've read all sorts of disappointment including this thread.

So NO, not all systems have gotten better, Ford's sound systems for the Mustang has actually gotten WORSE since it's peak in 2004 !!

Doug
Until about 10 years ago, I swapped out the sound system of every car I owned. The stock sound systems in the 70's, 80's, and 90's were crap. That was what I was referring to. Once audio companies started partnering with car companies, the stock sound systems got better. The Shaker system I got in my 2007 and 2010 Mustangs were nothing special. The Sony speakers used in my 2012 Focus and 2015 Mustang are step up from the Shaker in my previous Mustang's. But one thing I learned when I sold stereo systems in the mid 70's. One person's great sounding speaker was junk to another person.
Old 7/30/15, 07:47 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hschade
So I'm not the only one who thinks ALL my stereo sound is coming from the front of the cabin. Ya, it would be nice if I could HEAR the rear speakers and the sub that is back there too, my son says he hears it good when he rides in the back

My plan is to eventually take my rig to a stereo shop and have the back end amped, so the sound from the back will mix w/ the sound from the front.

For and OEM sound system, I have the shaker 500 in my 2014 and It is the best sounding stock system I've ever had / heard.

There are a couple of things you guys can do.

There is an option where you can set the sound to "All seats" OR "drivers seat"

See how that works for you. If you adjust the sound output mode to "All seats" the sound will be less pronounced to the driver and it will sound like more like what you may be after.

But all in all guys... as a general rule, when listening to audio (regardless if its a movie your watching or music )

You don't want to be able to hear where the sound is coming from, especially from a subwoofer. When you can, then something isn't right.

Yes - you can go to an audioshop, they will be more than happy to take your money and do whatever you want. They won't necessarily care.

There may not be a heck of a lot that you can do. If your car was a hatch back, you and anyone around you would hear that sub thumping easily. But because your trunk is considered as enclosed, its a little bit harder for that subwoofer to move around air and let it breath.

What you can try is to crack down one of the back seats, even an inch or two as a test and see how the subwoofer feels / sounds while sitting in the drivers seat. I'm willing to bet that it will be better.

Last edited by JoeMidnight; 7/30/15 at 07:49 AM.
Old 7/3/16, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shaker debate

Shaker Pro stereo is not perfect, but you are going to spend more going aftermarket to get anything that sounds better, and you'll have wires running under the carpet, to the battery, etc. I know. I spent almost $3,000 for an "aftermarket" system with my last car and it was worth it (JL, Focal, MB Quart) but when I turn up the Shaker Pro, I can hear the quality and it is only missing a digital signal processor and/or an equalizer. I can't say it enough how well a tuned system sounds compared to the same system with an equalizer to tweak the sound. I used a Pioneer head unit that used a microphone to adjust the sound. You would put it in the center of the car, slide in the provided cd, and it would adjust the sound to the room in the car by playing different frequencies. After it was done it was like night and day. If you want to hear a bad stereo get a JBL from Toyota for $2,000. People with those are even upgrading, and the Sirius sound was horrible. It sounds much better with the Shaker. Don't give them a bad rap because they don't sound like your home stereo. It just needs an dsp/equalizer to adjust the sound instead of the 3 band equalizer that comes standard in the head unit for every Shaker system. I guarantee with the right dsp/equalizer it will make the Shaker pro sound like a much more expensive system. And to me, there aren't many stock systems that can sound as good as the Shaker pro. With minimum tweaking using an installed equalizer, you will have a much better sounding system that is already pretty good and save yourself a lot of money.

Last edited by cpo.usn.retired@gmail.com; 7/3/16 at 01:23 PM.
Old 9/7/16, 11:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cpo.usn.retired@gmail.com
With minimum tweaking using an installed equalizer, you will have a much better sounding system that is already pretty good and save yourself a lot of money.
Are you referring to a separate EQ or a new head unit with a better EQ? If a separate EQ, can you link to an example? Where in the care would it be installed?
Old 9/9/16, 04:41 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The Shaker has an EQ and many fine tuning options within the system. Sit down and play with it until you get the sound you are looking for. If you just turn it on from the dealer, well, you will lucky to hear anything worth listening to. I am happy with mine and I listen to a memory stick with my digitized records as well as recorded discs.