2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

2015 Platform

Search this Thread

Old 12/2/12, 04:24 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 Platform

Unless I've totally missed it somewhere, up until recently indications are the next gen Mustang platform will be a heavy evolution of the current Mustang platform. Is this really the case? The reason I ask is there appears to be word that it's actually based off a large RWD platform.

S550 is not the platform name, but the project name for the next Mustang. Like Trinity was for the 2013 GT500 or Coyote for the Modular 5.0L.

The next platform is a full-size sedan platform. Ford is extensively modifying it for Mustang use.
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/show...hp?t=58&page=3

Can anyone shed some more light on this?
Old 12/2/12, 09:31 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
That doesn't bode well if the Camaro is any indication as it was based on an extensively modified full-size platform.
Old 12/2/12, 09:46 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like Internet forum chatter. No supporting arguments or anything. This guy could have said its a joint venture between GM, Ford and Dodge and no one is the wiser. I say this probably didn't deserve a thread but maybe a post in the other sections. Not attacking but it's same old same old until we actually know anything. At what point has ford even mentioned a full size platform? This just seems like some arm chair engineering judgment.
Old 12/2/12, 10:39 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bob
That doesn't bode well if the Camaro is any indication as it was based on an extensively modified full-size platform.

Don't forget (while we got a new platform) that the original 2005 was supposed to be based off of the DEW platform (4 door lincoln)

I wouldn't use the Camaro and its use of Zeta as a measuring stick though either.It's what GM had at the time, and what the Camaro was based on. They really had nothing else. So it is what it is. And they did a pretty decent job of it. Probably would have been better if they actually had money to spend on it.
Old 12/2/12, 11:41 PM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Well..............we might find out a little more today (Monday).

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/12/02/l...hings-to-come/

Lincoln has released a new video teasing... something. In what looks to be an advertisement for more advertising, the company has worked up a clip featuring everything from a drum solo and a flying hawk to Abraham Lincoln himself. The video shows a few shots of what looks to be an MKZ and promises more news is coming on Monday.

What does the company have up its sleeves? Rumors are bouncing around the web like so many ill-informed ping-pong *****, and cover everything from an alternative powertrain for the MKZ to a new two-door model – noise that is underscored by the presence of a
Ford Mustang chassis lurking in the background of the video around the 27-second mark (see screen capture above).

Could Lincoln be considering a rear-wheel drive luxury coupe built on the pony's bones? A move like that seems awfully unlikely, but it certainly wouldn't hurt our feelings.
Old 12/3/12, 01:44 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Automagically
Sounds like Internet forum chatter. No supporting arguments or anything. This guy could have said its a joint venture between GM, Ford and Dodge and no one is the wiser. I say this probably didn't deserve a thread but maybe a post in the other sections. Not attacking but it's same old same old until we actually know anything. At what point has ford even mentioned a full size platform? This just seems like some arm chair engineering judgment.
At what point has Ford said it's an evolution of the current platform? That's the type of info I'm after. If they said so then I've learnt something today. If not then Thed's info could be legit because there are many supporting arguments available.

E8, with the next Mustang's IRS, would be quite a formidable package. It also makes sense to modify an existing platform, one that could cater for a large sedan as well as a coupe, instead of having two separate platforms, one each for Mustang and a large rwd.
Old 12/3/12, 02:44 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Today they are going with Lincoln Motor Company
Old 12/3/12, 02:55 AM

I know of several engineers that are referring to S550 or the 50th anniversary as an all new mustang! Guess we'll have to wait and see
Old 12/3/12, 06:19 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I was young I aspired to a sophisticated Lincoln. Never desired an Old mans Caddy or a teeny Germany car. Sadly Lincoln, along with Ford lost it's way. Ford seems to be on track so there is hope for Lincoln. A two seat upscale car with sporting pretensions is absolute. And a ***** out M3/AMG version is a must. But it must not look like a rebadged Mustang. Think first gen Cougar vs. Mustang, that works. Then they need a Mid size executive sedan. Sophisticated, available in a 4 door coupe style option. Finally a 7 series/S class competitor. But they can launch that till the other 2 prove their worth otherwise it will be complete failure. As for the SUV? Thy can do what they want there, I'd still buy a Land/Range Rover.

One more thing? Give us names that position the cars. MKZed should be dead. And bring back a Mark, a 2 door sexy version of the mid size car described above, but again wait until you can execute it perfectly.

Now back to the Mustang. Make it perfect. That is all.
Old 12/3/12, 06:23 AM
Cobra R Member

One last thing, fire HudsonRouge and hire Soda & Tonic. I'll properly promote Lincoln for our cost for one full year and a new car. Whatcha got to lose?
Old 12/3/12, 07:15 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone in NYC...Go to Lincoln Center Plaza. (65th and Broadway) at 11am...Alan Mulally giving Presser...come see the MKZ.
Old 12/3/12, 01:07 PM
GTR Member

So, what are we to make of the video? The name change shows them going back to their roots...........but then trying something totally new?

Must admit, I was hoping for more, today at least.

Wonder if Lincoln will have anything exciting in store for Detroit in January. If Mustang6G is right and Mustang is spun off the Lincoln platform and not the other way around, then what chance a concept of whatever is going to sit on that new platform?
Old 12/3/12, 01:33 PM

Not sure which would be "spun off" the other, or whether they're being jointly developed more or less, or if it really matters, per se. Whatever the specifics of the gestational process, I do think Lincoln needs some real meat to their products beyond being the tarted up Fords that they are now. That myopic and penny-pinching approach simply won't come close to cutting it when competing against the likes of Cadillac, BMW, Audi or even low end Mercedes ... or even Lexus, Infiniti or Acura. The entire current Lincoln lineup simply lacks the street cred and gravitas to be taken as equals, much less superiors, to the aforementioned marques. That's not to say the current stable of Lincolns are awful, they're all quite pleasant vehicles, its just that pleasant is far too low and narrow a standard.
Old 12/3/12, 03:00 PM
GT Member

I watched MSNBC this morning with Mullany and Farley discussing the new Lincoln. When asked by the panel why someone would want to purchase one, they both were all smiles but didn't really respond all that well. They made a big deal over the whole glass roof and that the automatic stick shifter is now a bunch of push buttons on the instrument panel (what the old MoPars used to have in the 60's and were called 3 on the wall). I wish the new Lincoln Motor Co the best of luck.

Last edited by Speeding Bullitt; 12/3/12 at 05:22 PM.
Old 12/3/12, 04:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Name:  horses.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  42.5 KB

I grabbed a couple of stills (and cleaned up the sparks) from the Lincoln videos.......sure looks like they are working on something Mustangy!
Old 12/3/12, 09:47 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Thats the current car.
Old 12/4/12, 12:16 AM

Could be as simple as them trying to portray the anticipated sportiness of upcoming models by associating with a known variable, aka the Mustang.

Of course, I'd be all for a true hot rod lincoln.
Old 12/4/12, 07:05 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by rhumb
Not sure which would be "spun off" the other, or whether they're being jointly developed more or less, or if it really matters, per se. Whatever the specifics of the gestational process, I do think Lincoln needs some real meat to their products beyond being the tarted up Fords that they are now. That myopic and penny-pinching approach simply won't come close to cutting it when competing against the likes of Cadillac, BMW, Audi or even low end Mercedes ... or even Lexus, Infiniti or Acura. The entire current Lincoln lineup simply lacks the street cred and gravitas to be taken as equals, much less superiors, to the aforementioned marques. That's not to say the current stable of Lincolns are awful, they're all quite pleasant vehicles, its just that pleasant is far too low and narrow a standard.
Don't forget rear wheel drive. I want my Lincoln's to have rear wheel drive.
Old 12/4/12, 10:53 AM
GTR Member

Better news today

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/12/04/r...n-mkz-success/

The product portfolio at Lincoln may seem a bit sparse at the moment, but if a report is to be believed, new products are on the way. TheDetroitBureau.com spoke with sources at Lincoln and Ford, who claimed the American premium brand is working on, perhaps more than one, rear-wheel-drive vehicle.

Lincoln would likely platform-share with the next-generation
Ford Mustang to develop those RWD offerings in the early going. Moving forward, the report indicates that Lincoln could take the lead on other rear-drive projects in the future. As the RWD architecture continues to take shape, "most or all" of the front-wheel-drive portfolio will also be offered with all-wheel drive as an option, ala Audi.

But wait, there's more! The report also suggests that a replacement for the full-size
MKS is on the way, as well as a new Navigator and a luxury crossover based on the current Ford Escape.

These plans sound bold and optimistic, but they all hinge on the performance of the MKZ.
Ford CEO Alan Mulally has not been shy about the possibility of abandoning Lincoln if things don't turn around soon. Currently the only all-new product in the brand's stable is the MKS, and it will need to be an immediate sales success for any talk of any future product to come to fruition.
Old 12/4/12, 06:09 PM
Cobra R Member

Mark and Continental are Musts.

Quick Reply: 2015 Platform