2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

2015 paint problem question

Search this Thread

Old 10/28/15, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 paint problem question

2015 mustang owners. Looking for anyone who might be having this same problem. I have developed clear coat and paint chipping on rear fender flare in front of rear tire. Looks like road debide might be coming off my front tires striking rear flare. Ford said it is external problem and not warranty covered. My car is 6 months old and looks bad. My feeling is shape of new design might be contributing to this. Curious if anyone else is seeing this occur. I have attached pictures of what is happening
Attached Thumbnails 2015 paint problem question-image.jpeg  
Old 11/5/15, 07:44 AM

Come on guys I know this has to be occurring on other cars. I have other owners in other threads same same thing is happening
Old 11/5/15, 10:12 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Wu398
2015 mustang owners. Looking for anyone who might be having this same problem. I have developed clear coat and paint chipping on rear fender flare in front of rear tire. Looks like road debide might be coming off my front tires striking rear flare. Ford said it is external problem and not warranty covered. My car is 6 months old and looks bad. My feeling is shape of new design might be contributing to this. Curious if anyone else is seeing this occur. I have attached pictures of what is happening
Hello Wu398,

Welcome to the forum! My name is Deysha with Ford Service. As per your warranty guide, your dealer is correct. Here’s some of the info from page 13:

Damage Caused by Use and/or the Environment

The new-vehicle limited warranty does not cover surface rust, deterioration and damage of paint, trim, upholstery, and other appearance items that result from use and/or exposure to the elements. You, as the owner, are responsible for these items. Some examples are:

• dings, dents
• cuts, burns, punctures or tears
• road salt
• tree sap, bird and bee droppings
• windstorm, lightening, hail
• earthquake
• freezing, water or flood
• stone chips, scratches (some examples are on paint and glass)
• windshield stress cracks. However, limited coverage on windshield stress cracks will be provided for the first 12 months or 12,000 miles (whichever occurs first), even though caused by use and/or exposure to the elements.

I hope this helps. I am happy to document this concern for you. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha

Last edited by FordService; 11/5/15 at 10:19 AM.
Old 11/5/15, 12:55 PM

Deysha
While I appreciate you input, I'm disgusted with ford about now. This car has 6000 miles on it. The panels behind there rear wheels, where you expect road damage is pristine. My problem is the fender flare in front of rear tire. This damage a coming from the front tire debride. I would expect this damage on a care with 100,000 miles. Not 6 months old. Ford has documented hystory of poor paint/clear techniques. In my opinion the clear /paint in this area should be strong enough to with stand normal driving conditions. I sorry I wasted my hard earned money on this car, and will be last ford I ever buy. It would cost ford next to nothing to fix this problem but won't / not to mention that maybe I have stumbled on a long term problem and possible ford could avoid future problems.

There is already a complaint with ford customer service on my problem. They were very unhelpful with this problem

I would really like to speak to an engineer or some of authority at ford. Rest of my car is perfect. If this was from my abuse, I would expect front bumber/ hood to be chipped as well. It is not.

Last edited by Wu398; 11/6/15 at 07:23 PM.
Old 11/6/15, 10:08 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Deysha
While I appreciate you input, I'm disgusted with ford about now. This car has 6000 miles on it. The panels behind there rear wheels, where you expect road damage is pristine. My problem is the fender flare in front of rear tire. This damage a coming from the front tire debride. I would expect this damage on a care with 100,000 miles. Not 6 months old. Ford has documented hystory of poor paint/clear techniques. In my opinion the clear /paint in this area should be strong enough to with stand normal driving conditions. I sorry I wasted my hard earned money on this car, and will be last ford I ever buy. It would cost ford next to nothing to fix this problem but won't / not to mention that maybe I have stumbled on a long term problem and possible ford could avoid future problems.

There is already a complaint with ford customer service on my problem. They were very unhelpful with this problem

I would really like to speak to an engineer or some of authority at ford. Rest of my car is perfect. If this was from my abuse, I would expect front bumber/ hood to be chipped as well. It is not.
Thank you for the info, Wu398. I understand where you’re coming form, and this situation has been reviewed twice and won’t be overturned. I have documented this on your file for future reference. As far as speaking with an engineer, it’s not possible. However, your dealer and the CRC has all the documentation they review regarding vehicle concerns.

P.S.
Please remove your personal information from your previous post.

Deysha
Old 11/15/15, 07:43 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
First, you have not told anyone where you live or what type of roads you drive on. I have 10,000+ miles on my EB and no paint problems, especially in this area. I drive, 99% of the time on Interstates (75-80 mph in SoDak) and the rest on two lanes in the hills, up to a little over 7,000 feet. No gravel roads, although there is gravel and sand in the winter. I had this same problem on a new 1982 Firebird TransAM, until I put splash guards on, after I had the panels repainted. I have been using them ever since. I have a full set of Jaeger Brothers guards on my EB. They are no drilling and come off very easily for cleaning and shows. I would suggest your problem stems from the adverse conditions of the roads you drive on. Let's face It we have some really crappy roads and no paint can withstand being, basically, sandblasted at speed.

You can also have a clear bra type material put on this area, if you don't like the splash guards. This is an easy and reasonable cost alternative.

The area behind the rear wheels, that you referenced is protected, by the black plastic trim piece, running along the bottom. It will deflect debris away from the paint. But, I installed the splash guards just to be sure.

I know this doesn't solve your problem, but the best advice is to have it repainted and then protect the new paint. I learned my lesson, like you, the hard way in 1982.
Old 11/16/15, 07:56 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
This is a problem for all of Ford Vehicles. I have had 4 mustangs and they all have this issue. My 2014 Has Fish eye. I took it in to the Dealer and they told me they could wet sand it. They also told me that the paint used is so thin that is causes the paint to chip very easy. I love Fords and the Mustangs but they can not paint a car. By making it thin it costs less. I even have a color that cost me more.
Old 11/17/15, 04:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FordService
... However, your dealer and the CRC has all the documentation they review regarding vehicle concerns..
Which does nada for the OP. Case closed, no escalation possible. BTDT. Moved on. Current reality is that manufacturers (and not just Ford) can dismiss problems cavalierly because even if every one of us actually did go to Chevrolet (or wherever) it wouldn't make even a tiny bit of difference.
Old 11/17/15, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL
First, you have not told anyone where you live or what type of roads you drive on. I have 10,000+ miles on my EB and no paint problems, especially in this area. I drive, 99% of the time on Interstates (75-80 mph in SoDak) and the rest on two lanes in the hills, up to a little over 7,000 feet. No gravel roads, although there is gravel and sand in the winter. I had this same problem on a new 1982 Firebird TransAM, until I put splash guards on, after I had the panels repainted. I have been using them ever since. I have a full set of Jaeger Brothers guards on my EB. They are no drilling and come off very easily for cleaning and shows. I would suggest your problem stems from the adverse conditions of the roads you drive on. Let's face It we have some really crappy roads and no paint can withstand being, basically, sandblasted at speed.

You can also have a clear bra type material put on this area, if you don't like the splash guards. This is an easy and reasonable cost alternative.

The area behind the rear wheels, that you referenced is protected, by the black plastic trim piece, running along the bottom. It will deflect debris away from the paint. But, I installed the splash guards just to be sure.

I know this doesn't solve your problem, but the best advice is to have it repainted and then protect the new paint. I learned my lesson, like you, the hard way in 1982.

I live south Florida. No gravel roads. 85% time interstate. I have added the splash guards in front already. I understand road debride will happen, but I just expect the paint to hold up better then it has. Really never expected to repaint back half of my 6 month old mustang so soon. Is what it is. What's it cost to lay bit heavier paint coat in high wear areas.
Old 11/22/15, 11:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I, my brother, and our friend Sam all purchased new 2015 Mustangs. After only 6 months, all three had paint chips all over the nose, hoods, and quarter panels. AND, all 3 cars had less than 2000 miles. I didn't have this issue on my 2014 Mustang, so Ford must have changed the paint quality. Our dealers claimed no responsibility either, so all 3 have since been traded. Mine for a Jaguar F-type (3500 miles and not a single paint chip), my brothers for a 2014 Lotus Evora S, and Sam's for a 2015 Audi S5. Sorry Ford, we have always owned Mustangs, but the 2015s paint quality sent us packing for other manufacturers products.
Old 11/22/15, 05:10 PM
GT Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have 17.5k miles on my Competion Orange 2015 Mustang. I have one chip on the top of the bumper cover and on at the bottom just above the splitter. I have no marks or chips on the quarter panels in front of the rear wheels.

I also daily drove this car last winter through the worst winter in Boston's recorded history.

The Mustang is my third Ford since 2011 and the paint has held up equally well on the others too.
Old 4/1/17, 06:51 PM

Paint issue

Come on guys I know this has to be occurring on other cars. I have other owners in other threads same same thing is happening
paint
Old 4/19/17, 01:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same issue on my 2015 Gt with less than 1,000 miles, as did my brother and our friend Sam. Also plenty of chips in the front fascia. Since the cars were new at the time, we contacted our dealers and got the same response you did. So we solved the issue, all in the same way. We traded out cars in. After Jaguar, which had no paint issues, but rattle, I now have a Challenger Hellcat with no such issues. Sorry Ford, after 32 Mustangs, I was very unhappy with the customer service I received on my 2015.

Last edited by bill0754; 4/19/17 at 01:59 PM.
Old 4/19/17, 03:14 PM

Im having same issues. Ford saying stone chips. I dont think so! I have a 2015 anniversary package. So dissatisfied, disappointing!!
Old 5/12/17, 04:55 AM

2015 GT with factory 20" wheels (currently has 4500 miles). Only driven on sunny days on good roads. Argued with Ford Canada--zero results. Don't know what solution I have except to sell it and check out another brand. Too bad because other than this issue (which is 100% the fault of Ford), the car is very nice.

Audi A5? BMW? Perhaps..
Old 5/13/17, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by FordService
Hello Wu398,

Welcome to the forum! My name is Deysha with Ford Service. As per your warranty guide, your dealer is correct. Here’s some of the info from page 13:

Damage Caused by Use and/or the Environment

The new-vehicle limited warranty does not cover surface rust, deterioration and damage of paint, trim, upholstery, and other appearance items that result from use and/or exposure to the elements. You, as the owner, are responsible for these items. Some examples are:

• dings, dents
• cuts, burns, punctures or tears
• road salt
• tree sap, bird and bee droppings
• windstorm, lightening, hail
• earthquake
• freezing, water or flood
• stone chips, scratches (some examples are on paint and glass)
• windshield stress cracks. However, limited coverage on windshield stress cracks will be provided for the first 12 months or 12,000 miles (whichever occurs first), even though caused by use and/or exposure to the elements.

I hope this helps. I am happy to document this concern for you. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha
Deysha. This is 100% Ford's fault. There is no way whatsoever that a vehicle driven for only a few thousand miles should have damage like these cars are experiencing. It's a design flaw and/or substandard paint. I am in the same dilemma right now--do I figure out a way to.protect the paint or just sell the car and move to another manufacturer? I can honestly say I'm leaning towards the latter. Very very disappointed with Ford's lack of acknowledgement.

Thankfully we have social media to spread the word...I know I'll be doing my part to let potential buyers know about this issue!
Old 5/22/17, 09:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

[QUOTE=dirkpit222;7014456] It's a design flaw and/or substandard paint.
/QUOTE]

It's probably substandard paint. If it's a design flaw then Ford and most manufacturers will claim no warranty as it's "working as designed". I believe that's the new norm reply from most car manufacturers when they have no excuse or a cheap TSB fix for their poor quality.
A lot of vehicles have a clear plastic shield applied on area's that protrude and are subjected to road debris. They may work but look kind of ugly.