2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Spare Tire

Search this Thread

Old 12/28/16, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spare Tire

I want to purchase a spare tire for my 2016 GT California Special that will fit in under the back mat in the body indention that is obviously formed for a tire. Ford does not offer one for sale. They have a spare for some models. This issue apparently involves the clearance from the inside of the spare rim to the outside of the brake calipers on this model. The front brake calipers are larger than the rear. Has anyone found a solution to this? Thanks.
Old 12/29/16, 06:41 AM
GT Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm also interested in a spare tire, but not too worried about it fitting the front to clear the Brembo's because I probably would always put my spare on the rear. I feel like it would be safer in general to have more grip up front in those situations. That's just my opinion though.

With that being said, you can purchase this here at American Muscle. They sell a spare kit which is genuine Ford.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-s...-kit-2015.html

I have no idea of the specs though, so I would double check to make sure that fits on the rear as well.

Last edited by CoyotePremium13; 12/29/16 at 06:47 AM.
Old 12/29/16, 08:47 AM

Thank you Coyote P 13. I have an account w Amc Muscle so I'll look at that. Appreciate the reply.
Old 12/30/16, 07:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member Moderator

Received 531 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by CoyotePremium13
I'm also interested in a spare tire, but not too worried about it fitting the front to clear the Brembo's because I probably would always put my spare on the rear. I feel like it would be safer in general to have more grip up front in those situations. That's just my opinion though.
FWIW, I've read posts from owners who say the GT PP rear wheels won't work on the front due to an offset that causes clearance problems with the struts. So moving a rear PP wheel to the front when a front has a flat may not work without a spacer.
Old 12/30/16, 08:12 AM

Does anyone have something that they put in the void for thespare? Looking to place something in it to let the carpet lay flat.
Old 12/30/16, 09:01 AM
GT Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
FWIW, I've read posts from owners who say the GT PP rear wheels won't work on the front due to an offset that causes clearance problems with the struts. So moving a rear PP wheel to the front when a front has a flat may not work without a spacer.
Interesting. Thanks for the post! Was not aware. I guess the easy fix would be to get a spacer? lol Either way, I hope someone can shed some facts or specs on this.
Old 12/30/16, 09:38 AM

Agree, some facts and details would be very helpful. My 2016 GT Premium CS does not have the performance package, or Brembos, if they are one in the same...?
With that given, when a Ford parts man put my VIN in the parts system, it locked out the Ford spare, .....so if there is a tire guy out there with real world experience, or access to technical data, please help. Not happy on highway trips with a inflator and can-o-goop!
Old 12/31/16, 06:05 AM
GT Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The only cars the spare will not fit on are the GTs with PP because of the 6 piston brakes, it fits on everything else. Ford chose to not offer it with any cars that came through with summer tires.

You can purchase the Ford kit on eBay for low $200s all the time.
The following users liked this post:
GTG1 (12/31/16)
Old 12/31/16, 10:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Hi.

The lack of a spare tire has been beguiling mustang owners since they started omitting them in...2011 was it?

I'm a 2014 owner and when I bought my car there were tons of threads but few answers. So here are those answers to help you get started.

1. Get the 18" aluminum spare, jack and tools they offer for GTs that don't have Brembos. Be aware that it won't fit over the Brembos so you have to install it on the rear. Also be aware that installing it on the rear can mess up your differential (unconfirmed).

2. Obtaib a Drag DR-34 or DR-50 18x7 wheel and install a 225/50/18 tire, which will give a "full size" spare that clears the Brembos in the front and has a similar overall diameter to the other wheels and thus can be installed without fear on the rears as well. Supposedly this will stick up about 1 1/2 inches above the top of the wheel well.

Again these were the best options we came up with for late model S197s. YMMV but hopefully gets you started.

Oh yeah, if the parts guy asks for your VIN give him the VIN of a car that had a spare. As mentioned before, if you give him your real VIN he won't be able to help you.
GTG1 (12/31/16)
Old 5/21/17, 08:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was googling this spare tire issue on the Mustangs with the brembo brakes and I came across an ad for a company that appears to have a solution for this problem.

https://www.automotiveauthorityllc.c...nt=35747297481

Has anyone seen this?
GTG1 (5/21/17)
Old 5/21/17, 03:07 PM

Spare Tire resource

Originally Posted by PeakMustang
I was googling this spare tire issue on the Mustangs with the brembo brakes and I came across an ad for a company that appears to have a solution for this problem.

Has anyone seen this?
Thanks for this info. I found one on Amc Muscle site. It fits the rear, it's $275. and has the jack etc. Won't fit on the front w Brembos, so you have to do a flip flop front to back if a front flat occurs. So it's $100. Vs the time and they have now. Quality looks good. Thanks again man.
Old 5/21/17, 06:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GTG1
Thanks for this info. I found one on Amc Muscle site. It fits the rear, it's $275. and has the jack etc. Won't fit on the front w Brembos, so you have to do a flip flop front to back if a front flat occurs. So it's $100. Vs the time and they have now. Quality looks good. Thanks again man.
I guess that would work but you almost need an additional jack or jack stand to do a flip flop without letting one of the rotors hit the ground. Definitely something to consider though.
Old 5/21/17, 08:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Has anyone seen this?
Neat.
Old 5/21/17, 08:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

I guess that would work but you almost need an additional jack or jack stand to do a flip flop without letting one of the rotors hit the ground. Definitely something to consider though.
Yes, you "almost" need one. But you actually don't.
GTG1 (5/22/17)
Old 5/22/17, 11:04 AM

Thanks for thinking of this. Yes a second jack would be helpful. Of course need to store and bring along the second jack. If I had a front flat, I'd just put the spare on the good rear, then put the good rear on the flat front.
I'd have to "Jack-Up" twice, but I'm just a dumb builder, not a mechanic. Maybe there's an easier way. Thanks again man!
Old 5/22/17, 07:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by GTG1
Thanks for thinking of this. Yes a second jack would be helpful. Of course need to store and bring along the second jack. If I had a front flat, I'd just put the spare on the good rear, then put the good rear on the flat front.
I'd have to "Jack-Up" twice, but I'm just a dumb builder, not a mechanic. Maybe there's an easier way. Thanks again man!
Yep, that's the way to do it. Having to jack the car twice in the unlikely event of an emergency is the winning strategy over carrying two jacks all the time.
Old 5/22/17, 09:43 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
Wow... At the prices you guys are finding for a ugly spare I am glad i just bought an extra matching wheel and tire. Sure that cost more, but it matches and I can rotate it in. No it won't fit in the tire hole in my trunk. Mine is just about a 1/4 inch too tall. But that is ok, I have my tools, some microfiber towels, My California Duster, and Fords wonderful compressor in there. The best part is that I no longer have to worry about it any more. Just in case you care here is my feelings on not having even the room for a full sized spare... Thanks Ford

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...-spare-529258/

It does kill the trunk space, but I can still get a suit case, or even golf clubs in there. I really do need to figure out a better way to tying the thing down. Usually just leave it out in the garage unless I am on a road trip. Not too worried when I am within an hour or two from home. Family is close and I can get help if needed. Still have a little time on Ford's "convenient" Road side assistance.

This is not a new issue, been going on since the little compressor showed up with the large brake Brembo cars. Good luck.