2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

2015 Mustang at Philly Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 2/11/14, 04:48 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 Mustang at Philly Auto Show

My wife and I spent the day at the Philadelphia Convention Center enjoying the auto show. What a great day of amazing new cars along with the DUB show.

We arrived when the show first opened at 12:00 p.m. and ironic entered into the entrance closest to Chevrolet. I spend my first 30 seconds staring at the two Stingray Vettes followed by the white and black Z28 Camaro. We finally made our way over to the Ford area where they had roped off a 4 banger turbo 2015 Mustang in that dark gray/green color. The whole time prior too seeing the 2015 model I kept thinking what tons of people on here have been saying that have seen it in person. People say the pictures don't do it justice and just wait too you see it in person.

Well, I saw it in person fellas and ladies and sorry, but not impressed. Its nothing that grabbed me by the ball sack and smacked me in the chops like Chris Brown on Rhianna. Now don't get me wrong, its nice but after 5 plus years of the hype about this new design, it was nothing that I would ever sell my 2011 for.

Not a fan of that gray color. Not a fan of the rear end and tail lights. Looks like a 370 Z from the door panels on back. The wheels were freaking awesome looking. The front end was okay looking. Overall , the car was nice but people talking about it around me were not really that impressed with it and neither was I.

Sorry too say!
Old 2/11/14, 05:17 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I notice more of the 11-14 owners are not as fond of the new stang! Everyone is entitled to their own opinion! I am in love with theh 13-14 GT and from the pics I am just as in love with the 2015 mustang!

Last edited by SONICBOOST; 2/11/14 at 05:20 PM.
Old 2/11/14, 05:42 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,621 Posts
Originally Posted by SONICBOOST
I notice more of the 11-14 owners are not as fond of the new stang! Everyone is entitled to their own opinion! I am in love with theh 13-14 GT and from the pics I am just as in love with the 2015 mustang!
Well I'm not one of em! I like the '15 as well can't wait to see it in person!
Old 2/11/14, 05:57 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

If you like the pictures of it, you will then love the actual car. I was never a fan of the pictures but people said too wait for judgment until you see it in person. I really want to love it but Its just not all that awesome looking too me. Its okay and nice looking but nothing that would leave me with the feeling of I need and want this car now.
Old 2/11/14, 06:22 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
If you like the pictures of it, you will then love the actual car. I was never a fan of the pictures but people said too wait for judgment until you see it in person. I really want to love it but Its just not all that awesome looking too me. Its okay and nice looking but nothing that would leave me with the feeling of I need and want this car now.
That's fair enough! If I had one draw back it would be the wrap around fusion head lights, I can do without those!
Old 2/11/14, 08:35 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

That's fair enough! If I had one draw back it would be the wrap around fusion head lights, I can do without those!
I really do want to love this new mustang but it just has a bit too much import flair for my style of an American sports car. When I look at the current Camaro, Corvette, Challenger , Charger, 2014 Mustang I see an American design look. A Challenger doesn't try too be anything other than a modern day muscle American car. The designers of Porsch doesn't try to have the Porsch look like an American sports car.

Ford has designed an American sports car that looks import/euro in many ways because the stang is going global. Here is the real question. Do Europeans want an American sports car too look like a euro sports car. Or, do Europeans want an American Sports car too look like an American Sports car design?

Today when I saw the Corvette Stingray up close I wanted to make love to that machine and have sweet coco brown babies with it. To me, that's a show stopper design. Its an amazing looking design that looks only like a Vette and Chevy is not trying for a euro/import Vette design.

Personally, I think Ford really missed the boat on its exterior design of the new mustang and no where near the design caliber of the new Stingray Corvette.
Old 2/13/14, 07:35 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
What??? The 2015 Mustang Looks like a Mustang from Every Angle. As for the Wraparound Headlights they are also a part of Mustang History now too and I think they flow well with the new design. How quickly people forget that from 1987-2004 the Mustang had Wrap Around Headlights.
I think Ford Nailed this car as a perfect All American Modern Mustang.

How can you say that the New Corvette Stingray looks Only like a Vette or a Chevy? It Reaks of Ferrari and looks like No Other Corvette in History. I do think it is a Beautiful Car and Yes Is instantly recognisable as a Corvette, but So is the 2015 Mustang Instantly Recognisable as a Mustang.

As for the Challenger it isn't trying to be anything but a carbon copy of a 70's Challenger bloated to fit a Chrysler LX Chassis. There isn't anything remotely modern about it. Not to mention it's target was the 2005 Mustang. The Mustang has been Facelifted and Replaced now and the Challenger is still running 10 Years Behind.

If you really want to bring up the Porsche 911 You're completely right. Porsche doesn't try to copy American Cars, they have Evolved the Styling and DNA of the Original 911 over a 50 year period. If you park a 1963 Porsche 911 next to a 2015 Porsche 911 You can see how they are Related. Which is where You completely don't get the 2015 Mustang. Park a 2015 Mustang next to any 65-70 Mustang and it's Obvious that this car has Evolved from those Classic Mustangs.

Last edited by TampaBear67; 2/13/14 at 07:37 PM.
Old 2/13/14, 08:41 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by TampaBear67
What??? The 2015 Mustang Looks like a Mustang from Every Angle. As for the Wraparound Headlights they are also a part of Mustang History now too and I think they flow well with the new design. How quickly people forget that from 1987-2004 the Mustang had Wrap Around Headlights.
I think Ford Nailed this car as a perfect All American Modern Mustang.

How can you say that the New Corvette Stingray looks Only like a Vette or a Chevy? It Reaks of Ferrari and looks like No Other Corvette in History. I do think it is a Beautiful Car and Yes Is instantly recognisable as a Corvette, but So is the 2015 Mustang Instantly Recognisable as a Mustang.

As for the Challenger it isn't trying to be anything but a carbon copy of a 70's Challenger bloated to fit a Chrysler LX Chassis. There isn't anything remotely modern about it. Not to mention it's target was the 2005 Mustang. The Mustang has been Facelifted and Replaced now and the Challenger is still running 10 Years Behind.

If you really want to bring up the Porsche 911 You're completely right. Porsche doesn't try to copy American Cars, they have Evolved the Styling and DNA of the Original 911 over a 50 year period. If you park a 1963 Porsche 911 next to a 2015 Porsche 911 You can see how they are Related. Which is where You completely don't get the 2015 Mustang. Park a 2015 Mustang next to any 65-70 Mustang and it's Obvious that this car has Evolved from those Classic Mustangs.
The new stingray Corvette does not look like any other Chevrolet vehicle from any angle even similar design. The Stingray doesn't resemble another sports car and it stands out in a crowd.

Absolutely the Dodge Challenger is way bloated and a carbon copy of the 70's Challengers. Thank goodness for that. That's the whole idea behind it. Its a modern day muscle car not a sports car. Its not designed to handle amazing around turns, its got big displacement, Hemi rumble and the LOOK. That's what its about. It's biggest fault is that's its a POS Dodge and they are junk when it comes to quality.

While the 2015 Stang is nice it just looks like an import sports car. In particular to a Nissan 370 Z or Infiniti G37 from the side profile. A very similar Ford Corporation front fascia ( Fusion, Focus, Fiesta) and a god knows what rear end and tail lights.

As far as the cars performance, hands down it will rock out and with its new IRS it will handle like its on rails. I would imagine the car will hook much better with the IRS and run faster at the track than previous year models.

No doubt the aftermarket world will jump on providing assorted front facias which will be huge for many enthusiasts.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 2/13/14 at 08:42 PM.
Old 2/17/14, 09:36 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey bud, I was down there too and for me, you gotta see the car in person as pictures do not do it justice. But everyone is entitled to their own opinions and that is why the aftermarket exists, to make cars different. It will grow on alot of people over time, just like the 2005 was such a radical change from the "New Edge" 1999 to 2004 models.

BTW, are you local? I'm in Lansdale. If you are, you should stop up at my store one day and chat.
Old 2/17/14, 10:36 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Hey bud, I was down there too and for me, you gotta see the car in person as pictures do not do it justice. But everyone is entitled to their own opinions and that is why the aftermarket exists, to make cars different. It will grow on alot of people over time, just like the 2005 was such a radical change from the "New Edge" 1999 to 2004 models. BTW, are you local? I'm in Lansdale. If you are, you should stop up at my store one day and chat.
I'm actually in Maryland but about 70 miles from Philly.
Old 2/17/14, 10:38 AM
Team Mustang Source

I'm actually in Maryland but about 70 miles from Philly.
Your not far at all. If your ever up here doing a show on a Saturday near me, stop on in.
Old 2/17/14, 10:39 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Your not far at all. If your ever up here doing a show on a Saturday near me, stop on in.
What store you at bro
Old 2/18/14, 01:18 PM
Team Mustang Source

What store you at bro
I'm @ Yocum Ford. in Lansdale, PA (its in my sig ). About 25 miles north west of Philly.
Old 2/18/14, 01:46 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I'm @ Yocum Ford. in Lansdale, PA (its in my sig ). About 25 miles north west of Philly.
Oh cool. Sounds excellent
Old 2/26/14, 11:27 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaBear67
As a previous owner of a 997 4S and having seen the 2015 at the philly auto show, I'm of the opinion that Ford does not evolve this platform based on a strong bond to its lineage. They manipulate it into whatever they think will sell while holding onto usually 2 or 3 (MAX) key visual elements that tie it back to the early models and then romance us true mustang fans by claiming it's evolution.

Do you consider tail-light design, headlight gill throwbacks, and a pony emblem a good representation of Ford carrying on the Mustang's DNA? A Porsche re-design can be summed up in millimeter changes, which is what I'd consider carrying on DNA. It may sound like I'm bashing Ford but I think they are very smart. They will sell more mustangs no doubt but carrying this pony flag claiming it a fine example of mustang pedigree is silly. In person it's just another watered down euro-looking car. WE can see it's a mustang but if you were to de-badge the 2015 and throw it in the middle of a crowd, I'd suspect the vast majority would not say "Hey, nice mustang". Most would assume it's just another car adopting the euro styling that is hot right now.
Old 2/26/14, 07:15 PM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by figit
As a previous owner of a 997 4S and having seen the 2015 at the philly auto show, I'm of the opinion that Ford does not evolve this platform based on a strong bond to its lineage. They manipulate it into whatever they think will sell while holding onto usually 2 or 3 (MAX) key visual elements that tie it back to the early models and then romance us true mustang fans by claiming it's evolution. Do you consider tail-light design, headlight gill throwbacks, and a pony emblem a good representation of Ford carrying on the Mustang's DNA? A Porsche re-design can be summed up in millimeter changes, which is what I'd consider carrying on DNA. It may sound like I'm bashing Ford but I think they are very smart. They will sell more mustangs no doubt but carrying this pony flag claiming it a fine example of mustang pedigree is silly. In person it's just another watered down euro-looking car. WE can see it's a mustang but if you were to de-badge the 2015 and throw it in the middle of a crowd, I'd suspect the vast majority would not say "Hey, nice mustang". Most would assume it's just another car adopting the euro styling that is hot right now.
I agree with a few of your points. While it doesnt necessarily scream Mustang, the cues are there. Yes the obvious ones like the lights and badges, but i think it may be more recognizable to most than you may think mainly for those reasons. Yes it does have a very euro look to it, but thats not a bad thing. Ford is evolving with the times amd styling and also the goal to really bring the stang into the modern world is a driving force behind this. Its their halo/flagship car.

The 05-14 was their retro phase but as those sales numbers slowly decrease as hotter newer cars are introduced it was time for a change. Dont get me wrong though, theres not alot of cars that look as good as a tastefully modded 05-09 gt or even 10-14 models. I think in spirit the new mustang stays true to the lineage in that its a game changer much like the 64 1/2 was. It brings a lot of fresh things to the table with massive personalization potential at an affordable to most price.

I do however think its straying from its pony car heritage and treading into sports car territory but thats not necessarly a bad thing. The camaro will soon follow suit with the trends as will the challengers succesor (barracuda?). It was only a matter of time
Old 2/27/14, 08:43 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Well, I saw it in person fellas and ladies and sorry, but not impressed. Its nothing that grabbed me by the ball sack and smacked me in the chops like Chris Brown on Rhianna...
LOL
Very colorful explanation.
Thanks for sharing your impressions. I'm looking forward to seeing it myself but I see what you're getting at.

Good debate in the thread. I generally like the S550 design but you guys make good points all around.

I'm leaning more towards keeping my '11. After the initial awe over the new design wore off a bit, I remembered how much I love my current car...but I'm rooting for the '15 to be a smash hit in the market. Time will tell.
Old 2/27/14, 11:32 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by MRGTX

LOL
Very colorful explanation.
Thanks for sharing your impressions. I'm looking forward to seeing it myself but I see what you're getting at.

Good debate in the thread. I generally like the S550 design but you guys make good points all around.

I'm leaning more towards keeping my '11. After the initial awe over the new design wore off a bit, I remembered how much I love my current car...but I'm rooting for the '15 to be a smash hit in the market. Time will tell.
I definitely think the 2015 mustang will be a smash hit as it has been for 50 years. Do I see record breaking sales here in the United States for the new 2015 Mustang? No, but none the less it will sell well.

Its a really nice foreign /euro looking sports car that's got huge power and gonna handle amazing.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 2/27/14 at 11:35 AM.
Old 2/27/14, 04:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LOL!
Same feeling the SN95 felt about the S197
S197 to the coyote, it goes on and on!

But soon realization sets in and you realize it is possible that mustangs keeps getting better and better.

When my 06 is 10'years, it'll be time for the S550.
Old 2/27/14, 04:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LOL!
Same feeling the SN95 felt about the S197
S197 to the coyote, it goes on and on!

But soon realization sets in and you realize it is possible that mustangs keeps getting better and better.

When my 06 is 10'years, it'll be time for the S550.

Quick Reply: 2015 Mustang at Philly Auto Show