2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

2015 Mustang mule testing IRS spotted

Search this Thread

Old 6/26/12 | 04:21 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by rhumb
Sounds like a good argument for beam front axle, simple drum brakes, three speed trannies and single cylinder motors over all this complicated performance stuff Mustang's have been saddled with over the decades.

Honestly, IRS's are anything but delicate cutting edge technology these days -- well, to the rest of the world at least -- and Ford will undoubtedly design a strong, reliable and effective one for the Stang, especially knowing the SRA mavens will take after Ford engineers with their stone axes should the IRS even hint at any strength/reliability issues.
Agreed 100%
Old 6/26/12 | 04:35 PM
GTR Member

Now, what would be killer is if they ditched the standard anti-roll bars for the hydraulic continuously adjustable type found on the McLaren MP4-12C.
Old 6/26/12 | 04:51 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
Now, what would be killer is if they ditched the standard anti-roll bars for the hydraulic continuously adjustable type found on the McLaren MP4-12C.
Old 6/26/12 | 09:10 PM
Cobra Member

Hmm. If I had ever known it was called the "S550", I had forgotten it. Wasn't there some rumors that it was internally called the "Mustang III", much to everyone's chagrin?

I don't have the great disdain for chrome that most people seem to have. I think it looks fine, if it's tastefully done and in moderation. It does seem that the alleged presence of chrome jibes with the old rumors that the "S550" will be more upscale, which I'm not so sure is such a good move.
Old 6/26/12 | 11:21 PM
GTR Member

I suspect "Mustang III" was probably used unofficially for two reasons. Firstly, it would signify a significant change in direction (think '73 to '74 - but this time done right!)

Secondly, they probably knew full well the web forums would be buzzing with Mustang fans wringing their hands at the thought of another wimpy donkey for 2015 (even though it WILL be done right)

Old 6/27/12 | 12:31 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

About this whole issue of chrome on the taillamps... I have already seen an advance in chrome plating technology that allows light to shine through a plated lens when lights are on but looks like solid chrome when light behind it is off. It has already appeared on some aftermarket accessories, most notably lighted receiver style trailer hitch covers in the shape of a truck brand logo like Ford, Chevy and Ram. They also have replacement body emblems that light up.

Last edited by watchdevil; 6/27/12 at 12:32 AM.
Old 6/27/12 | 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by jedikd
How can you prefer your solid axle to a IRS that we know basically nothing about and haven't driven yet?
A solid axle is better for drag and reliability. When set up right it handles very well. I am not a road course guy.

With the old IRS cobra you could beef it up and they still would break. The solution...put in a solid rear.

I agree we still haven't seen what they're going to do. I'm just as eager as anyone else to see what ford does since they've done amazing things suspension wise with the boss, raptor, and focus svt.

Still I'm old school and you can't beat a stout solid rear axle for high HP. That's my opinion.
Old 6/27/12 | 08:42 AM
Cobra Member

Didn't help that the IRS in the Cobras was crap.
Old 6/27/12 | 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Overboost
THAT would be interesting, but perhaps more so on a halo performance sports car ala the Vette or Viper. Might I suggest a neo Pantera, Ford Product Planning Division?
Old 6/27/12 | 12:10 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by ScrewedUp
A solid axle is better for drag and reliability. When set up right it handles very well. I am not a road course guy.

With the old IRS cobra you could beef it up and they still would break. The solution...put in a solid rear.

I agree we still haven't seen what they're going to do. I'm just as eager as anyone else to see what ford does since they've done amazing things suspension wise with the boss, raptor, and focus svt.

Still I'm old school and you can't beat a stout solid rear axle for high HP. That's my opinion.
Perhaps you can't beat a stout solid rear axle for the same price, but clearly IRS can be designed to handle high HP since nearly every high HP car uses it, including the 1000 HP Bugatti Veyron.
Old 6/27/12 | 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by m4a1mustang
Unfortunately, that one heroic but inevitably cobbled and compromised imlementation of an IRS on the Stang did sour many on the very concept.

However, the Cobra experiment was but one instance and there is a world of highly successful IRS cars that belie the idea that IRSs are instrinsically detrimental to what a Mustang is or can be.
Old 6/27/12 | 08:39 PM
GTR Member

THAT would be interesting, but perhaps more so on a halo performance sports car ala the Vette or Viper. Might I suggest a neo Pantera, Ford Product Planning Division?
I think the Mustang is in the perfect position in the lineup to do this. If the GT rumors aren't true and the Mustang remains the halo car of the brand, then the SVT car could gain a dynamic roll bar setup without driving the price up of the base and GT models.

Another thought: based on the availability of the 2-mode adjustable suspension and Lincoln's Drive Control, it makes sense that we could see some iteration of a dynamic damper/MR system on the S550 car in a few years.
Old 6/28/12 | 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by m4a1mustang
This is true
Old 6/28/12 | 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by AWmustang
Perhaps you can't beat a stout solid rear axle for the same price, but clearly IRS can be designed to handle high HP since nearly every high HP car uses it, including the 1000 HP Bugatti Veyron.
I agree 100% but you pointed out my counterpoint in stating "for the same price" look at the market the mustang is for.

Also, I can't help but fear that the IRS implementation will turn out like the manual transmission.

Last edited by ScrewedUp; 6/28/12 at 08:05 AM.
Old 6/28/12 | 10:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

Unfortunately, that one heroic but inevitably cobbled and compromised imlementation of an IRS on the Stang did sour many on the very concept.

However, the Cobra experiment was but one instance and there is a world of highly successful IRS cars that belie the idea that IRSs are instrinsically detrimental to what a Mustang is or can be.
Exactly,there are guys with SCd M3s in the 650rwhp range running with no issues so far with their IRSs in the M3. It depends on so many factors, but you can design a robust IRS that can handle this kind of power. I mean I've seen Dodge Vipers and ZO6s that are in the low 10s with their IRSs.

Dave
Old 7/24/12 | 10:23 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Originally Posted by ScrewedUp
This is true
Just to defend the IRS in the Cobras a bit. I wouldnt say they are crap, they did a fantastic job designing an IRS that fit in a 1979 chassis car that was never thought to ever have anything but a solid rear.

The IRS hold up just fine in my estimated 430-440 rwhp car, any many other more powerful cars. You just have to make sure to get out of the gas if you feel any sort of wheel hop.

There are more than a few IRS 9 sec Cobras out there.

Is it a world class suspension? No, but that isn't the IRS fault its the limitations of the chassis and cost that the Mustang had to satisfy.

To think that Ford was able to sell the 2003 cobra for low 30's compared to the 07 GT500 that was 10k more yet didn't have as many unique features(IRS, folding mirrors, unique side skirts, power adjustable seat bolsters)
Old 7/24/12 | 11:53 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Knight
Just to defend the IRS in the Cobras a bit. I wouldnt say they are crap, they did a fantastic job designing an IRS that fit in a 1979 chassis car that was never thought to ever have anything but a solid rear.

The IRS hold up just fine in my estimated 430-440 rwhp car, any many other more powerful cars. You just have to make sure to get out of the gas if you feel any sort of wheel hop.

There are more than a few IRS 9 sec Cobras out there.

Is it a world class suspension? No, but that isn't the IRS fault its the limitations of the chassis and cost that the Mustang had to satisfy.

To think that Ford was able to sell the 2003 cobra for low 30's compared to the 07 GT500 that was 10k more yet didn't have as many unique features(IRS, folding mirrors, unique side skirts, power adjustable seat bolsters)
+1 I'm tired of people who most likely have never driven an 01-04 IRS equipped Cobra just bash on it because of a couple internet forums. The problems with the IRS are like you said because of the platform it was shoehorned into. Even though it wasn't perfect the IRS equipped Mustangs still handled better than the GT, Mach1 and F body cars of the same time frame. People were critical of the IRS because most Mustang guys look at 1/4 times as the measuring stick of muscle car performance. My Cobra wheel hops no more than the 05-09 Mustang GTs I have driven...

The cost argument is bogus now because the Mustang's competition ( Camaro, Challenger) both have it for around the same base price as the Mustang.

Last edited by 97GT03SVT; 7/24/12 at 11:57 AM.
Old 7/24/12 | 12:21 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT
The cost argument is bogus now because the Mustang's competition ( Camaro, Challenger) both have it for around the same base price as the Mustang.
Agreed, I mentioned cost because I'm sure it is much harder to design and implement an IRS on a car that was never designed for one than put one on a chassis that was designed for it.
Old 7/25/12 | 09:27 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT
As the story goes it cost more to implement the live axle in the end (would really like to see definitive proof on that). However when comparing the sn95 to the s197, it was certainly easier to implement things like irs and keep a good price point since the wrapper (chassis) helped G. Washington win the war.

Also the live axle for drag racing is a valid one, the Mustang has considerable presence in the sport. If you take all of Mustangs road racing efforts combined, it still doesnt match the number of drag racers out there ( a cursory look at any of the magazines featuring modern Mustangs will typically feature articles focused on acceleration, you have a number of national dracing events, et al)
Old 7/25/12 | 10:02 AM
Bullitt Member

My only addition to this topic, would be for everyone to keep in mind that Ford is extremely committed to lowering the weight of the next gen Mustang. Every bracket, every gusset, every addition ( even the great ones that we'd all like to see on the car ) adds weight. My conversation in both April and August of last year with Steve Ling, Marketing Manager for Ford North America, indicated to me that at that time an IRS was not a dead certain "given", because of weight factors. Perhaps they can find ways and new technology in body panels and parts, to save enough weight to offset the IRS, but I walked away from the conversations with a feeling that an IRS in the next gen Mustang, was at best a 50 - 50 proposition.

Quick Reply: 2015 Mustang mule testing IRS spotted