2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

2.3 4-cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 2/3/13, 08:20 AM
bt4
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There seems to be a lot of nay-sayers opposed to a 4-pot Mustang. Don't underestimate a turbo-4. The '86 SVO was a better all-round offering than the '86 GT.

I like my GT, but I also have a MazdaSpeed3. At roughly 3100-lbs the MS3 with 260-HP and 283-ftlbs of torque, is a blast to drive. Put the Mustang on a diet, slim it down to 3000 lbs insert a 330-HP 2.3 turbo-4 in the engine bay and Ford would have a screamer. With the 4 up front, the weight distribution would improve and with a RWD configuration, torque-steer would not be an issue.

There are buyers that have to have a V8, but don't discount the appeal of a lightweight, well-balance, turbo-4. Paint it ingot silver and I'll park it in my garage.
Old 2/4/13, 03:08 PM

Turbo fours can undoubtedly put out the raw objective numbers, if that's all your interested in, but certainly not the more qualitative aspects of a larger, multicylinder motor such as sound, smoothness, throttle response among others. Even the best four banger feels a bit raw as it bangs out the power in gritty lumps rather than the smooth flow of pureed oomph that a multitude of cylinders can.

The old SVO certainly could match the contemporary GT in terms of straight line numbers and readily exceed its dynamic capabilities, but it, like most fours, thrashed, strained and buzzed to get that performance and what eminated from the tailpipes was certainly not the music of a V8.

Yes, I can see the logic and place for turbo fours, especially in smaller sub-3,000lb vehicles, but not everywhere, everyplace as seems to be occuring today.
Old 2/4/13, 03:30 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As long as a V8 is offered over there, I will be happy
Old 2/4/13, 05:20 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

There will be a V8 to be had in Europe, even if it's only in the Shelby.
Old 2/5/13, 12:53 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Or we'll just import our own
Old 2/9/13, 08:29 PM
GT Member

4 banger turbo. Sound like a honda?
Old 2/10/13, 04:26 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Batmobilebrock57
4 banger turbo. Sound like a honda?
Don't know we haven't heard it . . .

And I think Honda has only had one Factory Turbo 4-cylinder engine in the US market.
Old 2/10/13, 01:32 PM
bt4
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by rhumb
Turbo fours can undoubtedly put out the raw objective numbers, if that's all your interested in, but certainly not the more qualitative aspects of a larger, multicylinder motor such as sound, smoothness, throttle response among others. Even the best four banger feels a bit raw as it bangs out the power in gritty lumps rather than the smooth flow of pureed oomph that a multitude of cylinders can.

The old SVO certainly could match the contemporary GT in terms of straight line numbers and readily exceed its dynamic capabilities, but it, like most fours, thrashed, strained and buzzed to get that performance and what eminated from the tailpipes was certainly not the music of a V8.

Yes, I can see the logic and place for turbo fours, especially in smaller sub-3,000lb vehicles, but not everywhere, everyplace as seems to be occuring today.
If you think it is all about objective numbers, you've missed the boat. Cars are a personal preference and everything about them is subjective to the owner. Jump in a Mazda Miata on a warm spring day, drop the top and head for Deals Gap. If you don't have a grin on your face after riding the Dragon's Tail, chances are you don't have a pulse. It doesn't get any better with a V8--but that's just me (and a purely subjective opinion).

I love the rumble of a V8, and I still get a grin when someone looks at my GT and gives me a thumbs up or says, 'your car sounds great". I like the feel of the torque that pushes you back in the seat when at low RPM you push the loud pedal. I like the way the car looks. I don't regret having it for a minute. That doesn't mean I get any satisfaction by counting the number of the cylinders. In fact two cylinders works as well for me.

I like the V8 rumble, but firing up a Kawasaki Vulcan on a cool summer morning and heading for Daytona Beach, or Gainesville can be every bit as rewarding, even if you wind up having to pick a few bugs out of your teeth. (Try it sometime, you won't even miss those extra cylinders.)

I'm sure Ford will still offer a V8 in a Mustang. I hope it will be every thing you (and all V8 fans) expect it to be. Personally, I wouldn't say no to a V8, but ultimately for me, any vehicle purchase will be about the driving experience, not about the cylinder count.
Old 2/10/13, 05:02 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Evil_Capri

Don't know we haven't heard it . . .

And I think Honda has only had one Factory Turbo 4-cylinder engine in the US market.
I believe you are correct.