2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

2.3 4-cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 1/30/13, 12:35 PM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
2.3 4-cylinder

Today, Autocar magazine confirm a 2.3 4-cylinder is under development for the new Focus RS.............and that this engine will appear in the "Euro Stang".

They claim an output of 330bhp although, strangely in my book, they say the Focus will be the "halo car" whilst the Mustang plays second fiddle with a slightly detuned version of the same engine.

They are quoting Barb Samardzich, Vice President of Product Development, Europe.

IF the 4-cylinder is all Ford are offering in the Mustang in Europe, I think that's a bad move. With a sexier body and RWD, the Mustang should be the halo car. What they really need to do is offer us the V8, too. Otherwise sales will sink without a trace against the more practical Focus

I'm sure Autoblog et al will be reporting this shortly.
Old 1/30/13, 01:44 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree that would suck to only offer the4 cyl model. They should offer the V8 in low volume.
Old 1/30/13, 05:02 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Hot hatches seem to be a bigger deal across the pond so I can see why they probably want to position the Fescue as a halo product. The Mustang seems to be more of niche vehicle in comparison.
Old 1/30/13, 05:10 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by bob
Hot hatches seem to be a bigger deal across the pond so I can see why they probably want to position the Fescue as a halo product. The Mustang seems to be more of niche vehicle in comparison.
even more reason to give it the V8 over there. If you're gonn be niche, at least stand out
Old 1/30/13, 05:17 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
Today, Autocar magazine confirm a 2.3 4-cylinder is under development for the new Focus RS.............and that this engine will appear in the "Euro Stang".

They claim an output of 330bhp although, strangely in my book, they say the Focus will be the "halo car" whilst the Mustang plays second fiddle with a slightly detuned version of the same engine.

They are quoting Barb Samardzich, Vice President of Product Development, Europe.

IF the 4-cylinder is all Ford are offering in the Mustang in Europe, I think that's a bad move. With a sexier body and RWD, the Mustang should be the halo car. What they really need to do is offer us the V8, too. Otherwise sales will sink without a trace against the more practical Focus

I'm sure Autoblog et al will be reporting this shortly.
I think you're getting hung up on the "hlalo." I think they mean Focus will be the Halo car for the EB4, with Mustang getting a slightly less powerful one which replaces the current V6 in the base. But nothing in that rules out a V8 for the EuroStang GT nor a Shelby V8.
Old 1/30/13, 11:26 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
even more reason to give it the V8 over there. If you're gonn be niche, at least stand out
This.

Despite GM now "officially" selling the Camaro over here, at least they offer the V8 SS package only.......no V6s.

A 4-cylinder Mustang will not appeal to current Mustang owners over here, even if it does sport over 300bhp.

I can see the Focus RS being a volume seller, but it'll be the Mustang that gets folks into the showroom.

My problem is, early rumours suggested we wouldn't get a V8......and these latest rumours to nothing to change that.

Having said that, all the Mustangs currently here are grey imports, and there's nothing to stop us continuing to import whatever we want
Old 1/31/13, 08:52 AM

While a turbo four could/would/should be the bulk of European Mustang sales, I agree, it would be folly not to offer a V8 model too as a V8 is just basic to the Mustang's DNA, regardless of the merits of other engine configurations.
Old 1/31/13, 11:13 AM
MOTM Committee Member

^^^
w/ both of you.

Paul, any idea how much cheaper a Ford of Europe V8 Mustang would be as opposed to an imported one through the status quo?
Old 1/31/13, 11:56 AM
GT Member

This.

Despite GM now "officially" selling the Camaro over here, at least they offer the V8 SS package only.......no V6s.

A 4-cylinder Mustang will not appeal to current Mustang owners over here, even if it does sport over 300bhp.

I can see the Focus RS being a volume seller, but it'll be the Mustang that gets folks into the showroom.

My problem is, early rumours suggested we wouldn't get a V8......and these latest rumours to nothing to change that.

Having said that, all the Mustangs currently here are grey imports, and there's nothing to stop us continuing to import whatever we want
I didn't know they sell the Camaro officially in uk. Do they come in RHD? The new Corvette strigray promises to be in RHD but they didnt make in RHD.
Old 1/31/13, 12:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

There's no reason why they would make the V8 unavailable to Europe. They may not promote it in the same way as over here, but I can't think of why they would not make it available at all to those that want that true North American muscle car novelty. What would they gain by not selling it over there?

I'm still hoping the new body style includes a fastback body shape with a hatchback. I'm not ruling it out considering it would make it much more appealing over there. Something along the lines of the FR-S/BRZ.
Old 1/31/13, 12:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think it's a bad idea for Ford, though i can't even think of 4 cylinder Mustang.
These Spanish and French guys - they love to use coke cans as engines, think about 1,2 liter engine at Skoda Yeti .
The car itself isn't small - it weights 3000lbs. And they sell it good in Europe.
The v8 Mustang will be bought only by fans. Fans with cash. Fans who are ready to pay 1,5 Euro for 1 liter of petrol.
But the idea to make it straight4 - is riduculos.
Old 1/31/13, 01:41 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva

Paul, any idea how much cheaper a Ford of Europe V8 Mustang would be as opposed to an imported one through the status quo?

Depends if Ford want to make a profit on the car.

Vauxhall (yes, they're selling them!) retail the Camaro SS at just over £35k. Considering that includes a manufacturers 3 year warranty, that's not bad at all.

https://www.chevrolet.co.uk/cars/cam...tral_BR_Camaro

Bill Shepherd Mustang, our leading (grey) importer of Mustang currently have a couple of '13 GTs at £38k (and no Ford warranty, although there's an aftermarket 12 month warranty).

Old 1/31/13, 01:53 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Depends if Ford want to make a profit on the car.

Vauxhall (yes, they're selling them!) retail the Camaro SS at just over £35k. Considering that includes a manufacturers 3 year warranty, that's not bad at all.

https://www.chevrolet.co.uk/cars/cam...tral_BR_Camaro

Bill Shepherd Mustang, our leading (grey) importer of Mustang currently have a couple of '13 GTs at £38k (and no Ford warranty, although there's an aftermarket 12 month warranty).

Ok. I hope you guys get the V8 at a reasonable price. You thinking about pulling the trigger if you like what you see?
Old 1/31/13, 02:22 PM
GTR Member

I have a feeling I'm going to love what I see

As for pulling the trigger? Never say never
Old 1/31/13, 02:28 PM
MOTM Committee Member

I have a feeling I'm going to love what I see

As for pulling the trigger? Never say never
Yes!
Old 1/31/13, 03:20 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Vauxhall (yes, they're selling them!)

Old 2/1/13, 04:04 AM
GTR Member

Ha ha! Vanwall certainly have more pedigree than Vauxhall!!
Old 2/1/13, 10:37 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Heh, I was wondering about that, just watched a link on Jalopnik a few days ago with Patrick Stewart and Stirling Moss and the Vanwall car was in there.
Old 2/1/13, 03:34 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
rofl Vanwall Vauxhall... so close but yet so far. lol

Funny - made me check to see if I named the pic file correctly. I had but my brain must not have been lit. Or maybe it was.
Old 2/2/13, 08:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

I think they will offer the V8 in Europe as well. They offer the V8 Mustang in Japan right now with the current Stang. Although he 2.3L Ecoboost motor definitely is a smart idea.

Dave

Quick Reply: 2.3 4-cylinder