Notices
Past Rumor Archive All the rumors and media hype for the 2011-2014 model years.

2013/2014 BOSS 429 RUMOR

Search this Thread

Old 9/1/12, 05:09 PM
BOSS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
It should be pretty easy to yank the 5.8's supercharger, put on a CAI and a tune and send it out!
With it's 9.0:1 pistons it'll be a screamer. Not to mention the cams that are optimized for forced induction. Why go through all the trouble of basically re-engineering an engine when you could get the same power out of a 5.0L but more efficiently? Wasting money just to use the moniker '351' is just stupid.

There's a better chance of another Bullitt (there won't be!!) than a Boss 351. I don't think the Mustang world could handle another Bullitt with the way "those" people react to it.
Old 9/1/12, 06:22 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by LagunaBeach
With it's 9.0:1 pistons it'll be a screamer. Not to mention the cams that are optimized for forced induction. Why go through all the trouble of basically re-engineering an engine when you could get the same power out of a 5.0L but more efficiently? Wasting money just to use the moniker '351' is just stupid.
rofl I understand why corporate may not want to, but with so many parts available that are practically off the shelf - if not literally - or slightly modified from the 5.4, it's not like building an engine from scratch like the 5.0 was. And for goodness sake, with the tremendous advances in computer modeling, any custom parts could be out in a jiffy if they wanted to.

Plus, look at all the displacement options from after market suppliers for the just the 4.6 block. You mean to tell me Ford can't do this if they wanted to? Then why did they even bother modifying the 5.4 if modifying is such a difficult re-engineering feat according to you?

And regardless how efficient the NA 5.0 is, applying many of those same efficiencies to more displacement would make a fantastic engine. While Ford has always done more with small displacement, there are also a lot of Mustangers that bang their head on always having to compete with one arm tied behind their back with little NA engines.

You and a few others make it sound like its dam near impossible to accomplish - which is ridiculous. How the hell did we ever make it to the Moon - or Mars - which such loser attitudes? So I disagree with your 're-engineering' argument. Its like Brian said, its not the engineering, its the government guru's that have to be schmoozed - as usual.

Last edited by cdynaco; 9/1/12 at 06:38 PM.
Old 9/1/12, 06:47 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here we go again with the government conspiracy BS...
Old 9/1/12, 06:50 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Overboost
Here we go again with the government conspiracy BS...
I'm not saying anything about conspiracy Steve - just the hoops that Brian cited.

Because its not about engineering. Its about whether Ford wants to take on certification or not. And whether that would be profitable or not for shareholders.

Last edited by cdynaco; 9/1/12 at 06:53 PM.
Old 9/1/12, 07:19 PM
GTR Member

I'm not saying anything about conspiracy Steve - just the hoops that Brian cited.

Because its not about engineering. Its about whether Ford wants to take on certification or not. And whether that would be profitable or not for shareholders.
Would you rather them spend $500,000 (a fictitious number) on development, validation, and certification of a new motor, or put that money into developing the new car? For a limited production vehicle, it might not make sense.
Old 9/1/12, 07:26 PM
Post *****

Would you rather them spend $500,000 (a fictitious number) on development, validation, and certification of a new motor, or put that money into developing the new car? For a limited production vehicle, it might not make sense.

Right. I get that.

But then again that could be said for most if not all of the SE's - because I doubt the upcharge always covers that investment. But it satisfies a market segment and keeps buyers upgrading. The marketing guys have to rationalize that with the bean counters.

I'm just defending against the posts that say its dang near impossible engineering wise. That's silly.
Old 9/1/12, 07:43 PM
GTR Member

Right. I get that.

But then again that could be said for most if not all of the SE's - because I doubt the upcharge always covers that investment. But it satisfies a market segment and keeps buyers upgrading. The marketing guys have to rationalize that with the bean counters.

I'm just defending against the posts that say its dang near impossible engineering wise. That's silly.
Well, go to work at Ford, change the mentality, and make one year SE models. It's not like they didn't give us a great SE in the Boss for two years. That was easily the most comprehensive SE car they've ever done.
Old 9/1/12, 07:49 PM
Post *****

Definitely! They did great - esp for a two year run.

Only the insider knows if each unit was profitable or not - or whether "rounding out the field of SE's" for the Mustang brand is what made it worth it.
And like most SE's, that engineering gets shared in future production Mustangs to help amortize that expense, right?
Old 9/1/12, 08:48 PM
BOSS Member

Taking the blower off the 5.8L to make it N/A is akin to engineering a whole new engine, which involves engineering all new parts and durability test which takes quite some time. New pistons, cams, intake, etc. Doing all of this for a small run of one MY is not going to happen when an all new car is on the horizon and the money is better spent on that program. The 5.8L is just an upgraded version of the 5.4 with only minor parts revisions needing to be made, it uses an existing blower and cams for one. Taking one part off and adding another that already exists is much cheaper than designing and testing a completely new one.

As you may have noticed, all of the Ford vehicles that used the older 4.6 and 5.4 engines are being replaced. The 5.8 is a lame duck and Ford is not going to put money into a small run of N/A engines. The money spent on development of the new Shelby engine will easily be recouped based on sale price and production run. Even so, it's days are numbered.
Old 9/11/12, 09:46 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
/thread

Pretty much spells it out.
Old 9/11/12, 07:45 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by LagunaBeach
The 5.8L is just an upgraded version of the 5.4 with only minor parts revisions needing to be made, it uses an existing blower and cams for one. Taking one part off and adding another that already exists is much cheaper than designing and testing a completely new one.
I understand your (and others) points as to why it won't happen.

Where I'm coming from is what you stated above. The 5.8 is an upgrade of the 5.4 engine right? The 5.4 is an engine that was used NA in Ford trucks while it was supercharged in the GT500. See what I mean?

Last edited by cdynaco; 9/11/12 at 07:53 PM.
Old 9/11/12, 09:10 PM
GT Member

Just need 11.0 compression pistons tivvt using boss cams and heads and make an intake viola now price it around boss price. Also make it available with the 6r80.
Old 9/11/12, 09:12 PM
GTR Member

I think this thread has run its course. Face it fellas, it's not happening, and the "experts" on here aren't gonna accept that.
Old 9/12/12, 02:40 PM
Post *****

I think this thread has run its course. Face it fellas, it's not happening, and the "experts" on here aren't gonna accept that.
Really Steve? Since when is Mustang talk not allowed on a Mustang forum? Speculation, wishful thinking, or not, a little gear head talk is a breath of fresh air on TMS these days.
Old 9/12/12, 02:44 PM
GTR Member

Really Steve? Since when is Mustang talk not allowed on a Mustang forum? Speculation, wishful thinking, or not, a little gear head talk is a breath of fresh air on TMS these days.
Relax man. This isn't IMBOC.
Old 9/12/12, 03:16 PM
Post *****

Relax man. This isn't IMBOC.
I don't know what that's supposed to mean. It just seems odd that you have made several attempts to stop the discussion that is in the 'Rumor Mill' section.

Old 9/12/12, 03:24 PM
GTR Member

I don't know what that's supposed to mean. It just seems odd that you have made several attempts to stop the discussion that is in the 'Rumor Mill' section.

I didn't stop any discussion, I simply stated that some are too thick to see the facts. Sure, it's wishful thinking to want X car, but in reality, Ford, or any automaker for that matter, has to remain profitable and make sensible decisions. Since most of us on the forum aren't involved in the automotive field, most don't "get it". I don't see anyone shutting down the discussion by closing the thread. Personally, I see someone whining to get attention.
Old 9/12/12, 03:29 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Q: How long can one beat a dead horse?! (No pun intened . . .)

A: Seemingly as long as one wants!

(When is that 6.2L 4V Raptor motor coming out?! )
Old 9/12/12, 03:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Rumors was a great Fleetwood Mac album! That said, while it's likely to not happen, the conversation regarding what it would take is entertaining. The ones that go on within Ford must be equally, if not more, entertaining!
Old 9/13/12, 05:37 AM
BOSS Member

I understand your (and others) points as to why it won't happen.

Where I'm coming from is what you stated above. The 5.8 is an upgrade of the 5.4 engine right? The 5.4 is an engine that was used NA in Ford trucks while it was supercharged in the GT500. See what I mean?
1. It's not as easy or cost efficient to do the reverse of supercharging an existing engine.
2. Back then the 5.4L had a big future and was what they had at the time. Considering it's old technology it's not going to happen for a 1 year run. The 5.4/5.8 has a couple more years MAX.

Quick Reply: 2013/2014 BOSS 429 RUMOR