Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

You're kidding, right? 2005-2009 & 2010-2014 Interior Door Panel Issues

Search this Thread

Old 3/8/23, 11:14 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
You're kidding, right? 2005-2009 & 2010-2014 Interior Door Panel Issues

In 2005 when the S197 cars debuted it didn't take long to realize that the door panels were garbage. But by 2013 it was STILL a problem??

What's the best product to use for curing this issue permanently?

Old 3/8/23, 12:03 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,621 Likes on 1,939 Posts
@AlloyPony

After Trying 3m's Finest Spray Adhesives on my 07 Shelby With Little Success I Finally Tried the Super Glue Fix All and Had the Best Results. Sorry I don't Have Direct Experience with the Later Door Panels But the Foam Looks the Same Which was the Issue on the 05-09's. The Foam Would Dry Up And Next Thing You Know You Had Droopy Door Inserts. My Car is Low Miles and it Took 12 Years Before they Got Stupid!

I cleaned and Scrubbed Off the Foam Where Needed with Denatured Alcohol and Then Worked My Way Up Gluing From Bottom to Top. I wore Rubber Gloves and Worked it into Door Panel with My Fingers ! I Wedged Cardboard Sections in the Outer Seam to Hold in Place till it Cured Overnight. Of Course again Mine Was an 07. The First Three Times I Did it I removed Door Panel. Last Time I Did on Car! Realize as You Remove Foam You Effectively Make Outer Panel Insert Larger and That is the Fight to get the Outer Edge to Stick. You May Have to Redo a few Times For Final Stick. Be Patient! It Will Finally Stick !

****, There are a Lot Of Glue Variations Out There So Here Is a Link for What Worked For Me!

https://www.upcitemdb.com/upc/73754190501

Hope This Helps!

KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 3/8/23 at 12:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AlloyPony (3/8/23)
Old 3/8/23, 06:11 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,010 Likes on 1,627 Posts
Both of you guys need to watch the attached YouTube video... The Video demonstrates the reasons why just scrubbing off the foam backing material from the door panel does not permanently fix the door inserts from coming back off... The solution is to take a flat-bladed screwdriver or hook device and place it underneath the corner of the door panel... As you begin to lift underneath, there is a second layer of foam backing that must be completely pulled off the door panel... Once the foam backing material has been completely removed, the next step is to proceed by scraping off the remaining glue residue with either a razor or scraper and then using sandpaper for removing any leftover glue residue...

Anyhow, make certain to watch the video in its entirety, as it provides complete step-by-step instructions for removing the foam backing layer material from the door panels and how to reinstall the door inserts successfully without ever coming off again...

Meanwhile, hope you find this video useful...

-Rocky

Old 3/8/23, 06:44 PM

Follow-up video from the same YouTube subscriber...

Enjoy

Old 3/8/23, 10:39 PM

I Had Considered Removing the Insert But Instead Chose To Scrub Scrub Scrub. Could Not Bring Myself to Cutting on my Door Panel! Mine Has Been Good For the Last Three Years So I am Happy Enough. All I Can Do is Report What Worked For Me!

My Late Father In-law Left Me A Large Box of Many Types of Glue And as I Stated the 3M Stuff That I Bought and Should Of Worked Did Not and I Had the Super Glue and Threw a Hail Mary! It Worked For Me! But You Have A Different Style Panel on Your Car Which Also Complicates Things!

I Did Watch the Vids and He Reminded me Indirectly of a Detail I Had Forgot. And Something He Ran into and Likely Did Realize. But it Only applies to the 05-09 Door Panels. When He was Talking about the Expansion of the Glue. An Issue is it will get an Air Bubble. The Easy Step is Taking a Straight Pin to a Few of the Simulated Perforations to Create an Air Escape. No More Air Bubble. And You Can't tell it was Done! I did Not Figure that One Out till the Last Try.

The Bare Plastic is More Grainy So That's Likely Why it Sticks Easier, Rougher Surface and Less Chance of Air Bubble! Sorry That Detail Won't Help on Flashes Car!

Maybe the 3M Would Have Worked Better with The Pin Trick Don't Know!

Do Your Research and Figure out What You Want to Try and Best of Luck!

KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 3/8/23 at 11:20 PM.
Old 3/9/23, 05:49 AM

Thanks for the video but that's ridiculous. I'm not going through all that. Getting really frustrated with the lack of build quality on this car. Not even to 100k yet and the strut on drivers front has been replaced, rear axle breather was building pressure which was about to kill the seals, door panel is coming unglued, suspension bushings sound like the car is falling apart on gravel driveways, transmission can't handle 2-3 shifts at high RPM, washer fluid line failed under the hood insulation, etc. etc. I guess I should be happy that this one doesn't have the clicking blend door motor issue yet.

I guess I'll just buy aftermarket panels or have an upholstery shop fix this.
Old 3/9/23, 06:40 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 960 Likes on 587 Posts
Originally Posted by AlloyPony
Thanks for the video but that's ridiculous. I'm not going through all that. Getting really frustrated with the lack of build quality on this car. Not even to 100k yet and the strut on drivers front has been replaced, rear axle breather was building pressure which was about to kill the seals, door panel is coming unglued, suspension bushings sound like the car is falling apart on gravel driveways, transmission can't handle 2-3 shifts at high RPM, washer fluid line failed under the hood insulation, etc. etc. I guess I should be happy that this one doesn't have the clicking blend door motor issue yet.

It's not just Ford. Having close to 100k miles on any performance type car will necessitate many parts replacements. I can almost guarantee that my 2020 R/T will not stand up to the years and miles that my 2014 GT will. I can tell how cheaply made the R/T is compared to my Mustang. The plastics on the car are just crap and any abuse will lead to necessary replacement. The exterior side body panels can be pushed in with your thumb. It's a good thing ithe R/T is garage kept and taken care of. Imagine paying for a $80,000 Hellcat with the same issues, as the bodies are no different. Even though my 2001 Trans Am is 22 years old now it still only has 81,000 miles on it. I have replaced numerous suspension parts and had the rear end re-built. The plastic on the inside door panels is a running joke in the Trans Am world with EVERY car suffering from deep cracks. Garage kept and non-abused means nothing to cheap plastic.
So it isn't just Ford, and if you want to move up the performance ladder even more, Corvettes are even worse, and let's not even get into the exotics.
m05fastbackGT (3/9/23)
Old 3/9/23, 07:48 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,509 Likes on 1,031 Posts
makes me wonder if the more expensive performance cars like Porsche or BMW are any better?
m05fastbackGT (3/9/23)
Old 3/9/23, 09:12 AM

@AlloyPony

But Look on the Bright Side! & Be of Good Cheer!

You Got Tech & Moral Support From a Select Group of Gear Heads Most At Least over a Half a Century Old To Tackle the Issues That Pop Up! Think of Us Like a Senior Edition Pit Crew!

KC
NC14GT (3/9/23)
Old 3/9/23, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by NC14GT
It's not just Ford. Having close to 100k miles on any performance type car will necessitate many parts replacements. I can almost guarantee that my 2020 R/T will not stand up to the years and miles that my 2014 GT will. I can tell how cheaply made the R/T is compared to my Mustang. The plastics on the car are just crap and any abuse will lead to necessary replacement. The exterior side body panels can be pushed in with your thumb. It's a good thing ithe R/T is garage kept and taken care of. Imagine paying for a $80,000 Hellcat with the same issues, as the bodies are no different. Even though my 2001 Trans Am is 22 years old now it still only has 81,000 miles on it. I have replaced numerous suspension parts and had the rear end re-built. The plastic on the inside door panels is a running joke in the Trans Am world with EVERY car suffering from deep cracks. Garage kept and non-abused means nothing to cheap plastic.
So it isn't just Ford, and if you want to move up the performance ladder even more, Corvettes are even worse, and let's not even get into the exotics.
Funny you say that because the car I traded for this Mustang was a 2011 Challenger R/T with 98,000 on the clock. And honestly, it was lightyears ahead of this Ford in build quality. I had three Mustang GTs and a Mach 1 before buying the Challenger R/T and now I'm back in a Mustang GT again. The R/T had NONE of the issues I've had with my Mustangs. The interior on the Dodge was like brand new after 12 years.

Anyway, not trying to troll Ford because I own one. It's just frustrating.
NC14GT (3/9/23)
Old 3/9/23, 02:33 PM

Funny you say that because the car I traded for this Mustang was a 2011 Challenger R/T with 98,000 on the clock. And honestly, it was lightyears ahead of this Ford in build quality. I had three Mustang GTs and a Mach 1 before buying the Challenger R/T and now I'm back in a Mustang GT again. The R/T had NONE of the issues I've had with my Mustangs. The interior on the Dodge was like brand new after 12 years.

I'm actually glad to hear that about your R/T. Gives me hope for the future. I really enjoy it outside of the '4 cylinder mode'. Thankfully that is easily defeated by putting the car in sport mode each time.
Old 3/9/23, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Bert
makes me wonder if the more expensive performance cars like Porsche or BMW are any better?
No, even worse. I
I've had the pleasure of owning both. Incredible driving machines that I enjoyed immensely but it stops there with build quality. No idea about newer models but I have my doubts. My 1995 911 Carrera (44,000 miles when I bought it) had radio issues and the engine leaks in all the air cooled models were infamous. The repair cost for most issues was astronomical. A simple a/c fix affecting many of the air cooled machines was around $5,000.
My low mileage 13,000 miles BMW Z3, a 2002 which should have had all the kinks worked out of it after BMW made them for 6 years prior was a joke. The cheap radio and speaker were worthless. The defroster was non-existent and actually dangerous at night when the windows fogged up. The dash displayed constant warning lights that needed to be cleared way too often and usually they were false alarms. A favorite was for the transmission. All you had to do was put the car in reverse and brake hard. It cleared the light. How stupid is that?? If you went by the owner's manual you would be broke taking the car to the dealership each time. The plastic rear window, unbelievably still made as late as 2002, was cheap crap. The exterior paint was poor as well. I enjoyed the performance of those German machines but build quality, forget it. I'm glad i owned them for the driving experience but now it's American performance across the board for me.

1995 911 Cabriolet

2002 BMW Z3

Current 3 car American family
m05fastbackGT (3/9/23)
Old 3/9/23, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by 05stangkc
I Had Considered Removing the Insert But Instead Chose To Scrub Scrub Scrub. Could Not Bring Myself to Cutting on my Door Panel! Mine Has Been Good For the Last Three Years So I am Happy Enough. All I Can Do is Report What Worked For Me!

My Late Father In-law Left Me A Large Box of Many Types of Glue And as I Stated the 3M Stuff That I Bought and Should Of Worked Did Not and I Had the Super Glue and Threw a Hail Mary! It Worked For Me! But You Have A Different Style Panel on Your Car Which Also Complicates Things!

I Did Watch the Vids and He Reminded me Indirectly of a Detail I Had Forgot. And Something He Ran into and Likely Did Realize. But it Only applies to the 05-09 Door Panels. When He was Talking about the Expansion of the Glue. An Issue is it will get an Air Bubble. The Easy Step is Taking a Straight Pin to a Few of the Simulated Perforations to Create an Air Escape. No More Air Bubble. And You Can't tell it was Done! I did Not Figure that One Out till the Last Try.

The Bare Plastic is More Grainy So That's Likely Why it Sticks Easier, Rougher Surface and Less Chance of Air Bubble! Sorry That Detail Won't Help on Flashes Car!

Maybe the 3M Would Have Worked Better with The Pin Trick Don't Know!

Do Your Research and Figure out What You Want to Try and Best of Luck!

KC
Although the 05-09 panels are different in comparison to the 2010-14 door panel inserts, they are nevertheless installed with the same foam backing material which causes the vinyl insert panels to separate due to the foam in the backing material degrading... As the backing material continues to degrade, the glue applied to the vinyl inserts is no longer able to adhere to the foam backing material which is glued onto the door panel... At any rate, until finally stumbling upon the videos, I was not able to figure out an explanation for the door panel inserts falling off... At least now, we all finally have an explanation that does in fact make perfect sense...

As for the potential fix demonstrated in the videos, it does in fact apply to the 05-09 S197 Mustangs... However, the only cutting required is removing the residual insert material that is wedged between the bottom of the armrest and the door panel, but no actual cutting on the door panel itself is required... In the end, I really hope for your sake that the scrub, scrub, scrubbing of the foam backing material fix works out long-term, but I wouldn't really count on it knowing the foam used in the backing material will eventually continue to degrade in time

As ridiculous as you claim, that is the explanation for the door panel inserts falling off... Yes, it sucks that Ford used that dumb foam backing material for the vinyl door inserts, but in the end, it is what it is... Therefore, If you don't wish to go through the recommended solution as a potential permanent fix? that is by all means your choice... Just keep in mind that if you should decide to take the aftermarket panel route, there have been many complaints about the Coverlay replacement panels regarding fitment issues along with other manufacturers sold thru American Muscle and Late Model Restoration... I was actually considering the Coverlay replacement inserts until coming across several YouTube videos from Mustang owners who purchased them that confirmed the fitment issues... In addition, as mentioned, unless the foam backing material is completely removed, it will only be a matter of time before they start coming off anyhow... Perhaps it may be in your best interest to consider looking into a custom upholstery shop as a possible alternative for your particular application needs

As for the build quality issues you bring up, the Mustang is a mass-produced performance car, not some luxury sports sedan, such as BMW or Lexus... Therefore, just as NC14GT mentions in his post below when approaching 100k miles on any domestic performance car, parts will require replacement as nothing lasts forever, but when compared to Mustangs from 25 years ago and older, lasting up to 100k miles was unheard of... By comparison, build quality has greatly improved during the last 20+ years and up which is something I've been very grateful for as a lifelong Mustang owner...

This is exactly the reason I'll take the build quality of my 2006 S197 GT over any other domestic performance car, hands down!

Originally Posted by Bert
Totally agree 100%

No offense, but if the build quality in your opinion of your current Mustang GT is so inferior when compared to your previous "11" Challenger R/T? then what's preventing you from selling your Mustang GT and getting back into a Challenger R/T once again

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 3/9/23 at 05:03 PM.
Old 3/9/23, 06:14 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 627 Likes on 452 Posts
After reading the comments about the foam deteriorating, it reminded me of commercials Ford was running years ago about being more "green" and bragging about using a plant based foam in their cars.

Wonder if that has anything to do with it?
m05fastbackGT (3/9/23)
Old 3/9/23, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
After reading the comments about the foam deteriorating, it reminded me of commercials Ford was running years ago about being more "green" and bragging about using a plant based foam in their cars.

Henry Ford Himself Was A Soybean Fanatic! As Far As the Mustangs It Says 2008 They Started Using it in Certain Area's! I Know I Did a Post on this Back in the Day!

https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...h-to-use-.html

https://medium.com/@ford/from-seed-t...s-37f8244bcb0c

There is a Lot of Interesting Articles on the Old Man & Soy. Do a Little Research I Think you Will Find It Interesting!

https://www.thehenryford.org/collect.../soy-bean-car/

KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 3/9/23 at 06:48 PM.
Old 3/9/23, 06:56 PM

I'm actually glad to hear that about your R/T. Gives me hope for the future. I really enjoy it outside of the '4 cylinder mode'. Thankfully that is easily defeated by putting the car in sport mode each time.
You Know Back In the Day My Wifes Family Car was a 81 Coupe Deville with the 4/6/8 Setup. It Actually Worked. Most Had Been Deactivated Early On. I think it Was Mid to Late 90's We Had it. Anybody Who Knew about Them Were Always Shocked it Was Still Running Great! Was a Good Friends Grandpa Car. Great Shape Low Miles. Loaded With All The Bells & Whistles Including Factory 8-Track! Got It Dirt Cheap! Gutless Wonder But Mileage Was Pretty Good For a Land Yacht. You Did Not Drive It You Sailed It!

KC
NC14GT (3/10/23)
Old 3/9/23, 07:08 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 627 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by 05stangkc
Henry Ford Himself Was A Soybean Fanatic! As Far As the Mustangs It Says 2008 They Started Using it in Certain Area's! I Know I Did a Post on this Back in the Day!

https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...h-to-use-.html

https://medium.com/@ford/from-seed-t...s-37f8244bcb0c

There is a Lot of Interesting Articles on the Old Man & Soy. Do a Little Research I Think you Will Find It Interesting!

https://www.thehenryford.org/collect.../soy-bean-car/

KC
Yeah, I've read and watched a lot about all the things he was into like that. Even he thought back then the future car would be electric, then high quality refining and better gasoline came along and squashed that.
05stangkc (3/9/23)
Old 3/9/23, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown

I seriously doubt if Ford had been using plant-based foam in their cars when the S197 Mustang first began production for the 2005 model year, but then again, who really knows for certain as to whether they actually did or not, for anything is possible
Old 3/18/23, 03:59 PM

Here's another YouTube video...This one doesn't require removing the layer of foam backing material but just removes all the old glue with Mineral Spirits... The door panel on this video is also from a 2010-14 Mustang... Anyway, perhaps you'll find this video more to your liking!

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 3/18/23 at 04:06 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by m05fastbackGT:
AlloyPony (3/19/23), Jaryd21 (3/28/23)
Old 3/19/23, 07:23 AM

That car looks IDENTICAL to mine. I have some stuff on order and will attempt to patch mine up when the weather warms back up again. We'll see how it goes.
m05fastbackGT (3/19/23)

Quick Reply: You're kidding, right? 2005-2009 & 2010-2014 Interior Door Panel Issues