Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Yet Another MT-82 Down for the Count

Search this Thread

Old 4/24/12, 10:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yet Another MT-82 Down for the Count

Hey all,

I don't post often, but thought I would inform you all that the transmission in my 2011 GT is a goner after only about 10,500 miles. I did a lot of reading on the forums, and had several of the same symptoms as some of the worst case scenarios, so I brought the car in last week.

Symptoms included:
1) "Gear Whine" in 4th and 6th gear at lowish RPM. The noise would get louder as I accelerated, quiet down when I let off the gas. It did get progressively worse. When the car finally went in, I could barely hear the engine over the noise, and that's saying something in these cars.
2) "Notchy" shifts. I've driven a manual transmission vehicle for 15 years now. Everything from a Volvo 240 to the Mustang, and I rarely (if ever) miss a shift. I noticed that there would be a short grind sometimes as I went into gear (usually 1st to 2nd, sometimes 2nd to 3rd).

I would say these problems were more noticeable in the cold weather, for sure.

Skeeter and the guys at Yocum Ford had me a little worried when I called about the problem and they scheduled me for a ride along with the shop foreman (Skeeter). I thought they were getting defensive about it, but in reality they just wanted to be sure we were all on the same page. They took the car, ended up taking apart the transmission and I was told that the magnet that catches any metal bits in the fluid had a "good amount" of debris on it. They will be replacing the transmission.

I'm a little worried that a new off-the-shelf transmission could most likely have the same chances of failing as the stock one, but I do have the extended service plan on it, 10 years, 100,000 miles so at a rate of about 5,000 miles a year I'll be good for the 10 years. Overall, I'm a bit disillusioned and disenfranchised. I feel like the honeymoon is over now, and am thinking about possibly trading the car in on a '13, but we'll see how my finances look before I make that jump.
Old 4/24/12, 12:33 PM
GT Member

Sucks to hear about another MT-82 problem and wish you the best of luck with the replacement transmission. I think you should have faith in Ford to get her fixed with an off the shelf unit. Otherwise, why take the plunge and spend more money on another Stang with the same trans and possibility of failure.

Either way goodluck! I'm in the same predicament with my Boss and just hope they get her right with the rebuild so I can continue on with my honeymoon lol.

Bill
Old 4/24/12, 07:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for letting us know. Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine with the new one.
Old 5/3/12, 11:22 AM

Hey sorry to hear that, but I have the same issues as well, I got my 5.0 Feb 1st, after the break-in i started pushing the car, noticed problems shifting from 2nd to 3rd, and even from 3rd to 4th gear. Usually happens going onto freeway on ramps shifting at over 5,000 rpm range. Very disappointing, my 5.0 is a 2012 with 5,000 miles on it. The dealership said that I need to be careful when im shifting, which is complete BS, I know how to drive stick, im not missing shifts or gears, the freakin gears get stuck period. I almost crashed twice getting onto to highways because of this problem.
Old 5/3/12, 11:26 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by alexg3000
Hey sorry to hear that, but I have the same issues as well, I got my 5.0 Feb 1st, after the break-in i started pushing the car, noticed problems shifting from 2nd to 3rd, and even from 3rd to 4th gear. Usually happens going onto freeway on ramps shifting at over 5,000 rpm range. Very disappointing, my 5.0 is a 2012 with 5,000 miles on it. The dealership said that I need to be careful when im shifting, which is complete BS, I know how to drive stick, im not missing shifts or gears, the freakin gears get stuck period. I almost crashed twice getting onto to highways because of this problem.
What's a stick?
Old 5/3/12, 02:00 PM
Bullitt Member

when i purchased my 2013, i actually had no faith in the MT82, i purchase it mostly for the engine, and the car, but had no faith in the MT82 and still don't actually. I know it will fail, so thats why ill be slowly but surely saving for a T56 or a TKO600. I figured in the next 5-6 years ford will have to replace the MT82 once or twice and after warranty goes out and the MT82 goes out again ill replace it with a real transmission ... time will tell
Old 5/3/12, 08:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by BOSS302R
when i purchased my 2013, i actually had no faith in the MT82, i purchase it mostly for the engine, and the car, but had no faith in the MT82 and still don't actually. I know it will fail, so thats why ill be slowly but surely saving for a T56 or a TKO600. I figured in the next 5-6 years ford will have to replace the MT82 once or twice and after warranty goes out and the MT82 goes out again ill replace it with a real transmission ... time will tell
I do hope you are wrong, but I must admit, when I first looked at these cars and saw the trans was coming from China, I was worried.
Old 5/4/12, 02:00 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

another one of these made in china threads? The 2011 cars had soem issues. The +2012 are better.
Old 5/4/12, 05:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
What's a stick?
Stick = stick shifter = manual transmission with a floor shifter.

But you haven't had real fun until you've driven a "three on the tree".
Old 5/4/12, 06:08 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
What's a stick?
Its something Id like to smack across your As+
Old 5/4/12, 07:52 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Flagstang
another one of these made in china threads?
No kidding. STFU! Getrag/Ford identified the problem and have made revisions. Same whining about the Mexican transmission when it came out. Obviously UAW boys charge too much for manny tranny's to be made in the States.

Quit the whiny bytchin.

Last edited by cdynaco; 5/4/12 at 07:54 AM.
Old 5/4/12, 08:00 AM
Cobra Member

Attached Thumbnails Yet Another MT-82 Down for the Count-image-2149898207.jpg  
Old 5/4/12, 09:07 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco

No kidding. STFU! Getrag/Ford identified the problem and have made revisions. Same whining about the Mexican transmission when it came out. Obviously UAW boys charge too much for manny tranny's to be made in the States.

Quit the whiny bytchin.
Your Always pointing the finger at UAW.

Oh, ya because them Mexican and Japanese cars are any cheaper.pffft

Last edited by UnrealFord; 5/4/12 at 09:58 AM.
Old 5/4/12, 09:12 AM
Bullitt Member

OH NO HE DINNT GURLFREN!
Old 5/4/12, 09:17 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 2011_STANG_GT
OH NO HE DINNT GURLFREN!
Lol.....
Old 5/4/12, 10:30 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by redneb
I do hope you are wrong, but I must admit, when I first looked at these cars and saw the trans was coming from China, I was worried.
As has been stated time & time again, this is a Ford and Getrag-designed transmission, built to their specifications in China. China isn't the problem - the problem is in the design of the transmission itself. China is fantastic at producing things but they do it to the specs/budget the company provides. In this case, Ford may have gone too cheap on it.
Old 5/4/12, 10:33 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

my next car is going to have two mt82's.. and they will both work..
Old 5/4/12, 10:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Mine did the same thing at the same mileage, strange lol.. I heard the whine over my axle backs , that's how loud mine was.. Thought I had a Kenne bell on it
Old 5/5/12, 10:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Maybe its time to weigh in on this issue...

I have worked for BMW for a couple of decades now and this is one constant for Getrag Transmissions -- they are noisy and temperamental.. but they are durable.

Most cars with 5 or 6speed Getrag owners will complain about either the trans sounds like its falling apart, or its difficult to shift when the oil is cold -- i have gone through several service bulletins in this regard to this day ... they are still temperamental.

In Dec. I turned in a 335 coupe which has a trans that was so noisy that it was clearly audible in the passenger compartment with the radio off -- worse case would be to go into underground parking and let it idle, sounded like someone was under the hood with a can of marbles. I experienced high torque lock out of 2nd and 3rd gear if I had the turbos spooled up to the ozone. So some of this is not new to me... in the overall picture.

The 335i turbo and the M3 share the same trans designation #, but after driving the M3 i have a feeling they massaged the internals to work better with the higher horsepower engine. I think that is what is lacking in our transmission at this point in time.

Ford probably looked to Getrag for one reason, they are an existing "global supplier" with an international network -- their products are durable, and have significant history. They were probably swayed by the fact they are already producing trannys for competitive sport lines and the list goes on.

Does this make it a good fit for the Mustang? That remains to be seen. I am also confident that the transmission was not designed in China -- what i would like to know is if the parts tooling is done inhouse in China or do they receive the bulk parts from different Getrag sources. if the latter is the case, then maybe there is a QC problem at the assembler.

Now we see how it can become very painstaking and problematic when tracing down the root cause of a part failure and providing a seamless correction. it easy if the guys that is building your car is around the corner (or so to speak) and he's using parts from one XYZ source. double or triple that and viola!! -- the engineers can only go by analysis and reports in certain cases... so the customer gets put on hold (figuratively) until someone comes up with an answer.

We know that the tranny is from China; due to import/export regulations -- i found this funny in the 90's due to drop shipping parts from Germany, and waiting for it to clear customs with one of 10 different manufacturing countries -- but still a BMW OEM part.

If you've read this far, you are probably wonder what is the point, right?

With this MT82 issue Ford would do well by setting up a very small task force to perform a secondary investigation to see if there just may be a problem with these assemblies. Yes these shifters are tightly gated -- but should that create a firestorm of discontent within the customer base? This will be the first time i've driven a Getrag and not felt reasonably comfortable with its shifting.

I would only hope Ford grabs a few pages out of the BMW Parts Clearing handbook and streamline the diagnostic process between the tech who is working on the car and reliable people working for the vendor that produces the part or assembly... im pretty sure that will cost money to implement, but its better than having customers feel like they are not heard.

Last edited by Shifterboy45; 5/5/12 at 10:28 PM.
Old 5/5/12, 11:17 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

I love how "Gear Whine" and "Notchy" = "down" or busted.

Quick Reply: Yet Another MT-82 Down for the Count