Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

What's wrong with my transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 1/5/14, 08:18 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by kylerohde
All unfortunate, but over the top to say Ford is bribing the NHTSA to cover problems up.
You mean like this, Kyle?
Attached Thumbnails What's wrong with my transmission?-image-1026310772.jpg  
Old 1/8/14, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All unfortunate, but over the top to say Ford is bribing the NHTSA to cover problems up.
I did NOT say anything which could be construed as "Ford is bribing the NHTSA".
That you think it did is an indication of your very limited language skills.

Ford provided a very detailed response to NHTSA, as is their right and their obligation. This obviously took some time and effort.

Ford also attempted to fix the problems through about a dozen running changes to the MT82 and clutch starting in 2011. Unfortunately the changes were insufficient to totally cure the shifting problems.

Got it, Kyle?

Last edited by F-22; 1/8/14 at 07:34 PM.
Old 1/8/14, 07:43 PM

oh,there's NO corruption between auto makers and feds.one word BAILOUTS.feds are giving handouts,so why would they make them fix their ratty cars when they fail under warranty...worthless warranty I meant..kinda like health insurance
Old 1/8/14, 07:48 PM

Speaking of dealership behavior, my dad worked for Leith Bmw for 17 years.I went on test drives in porsches and bimmers.100-150 mph runs ,7000 rpm speed shifts and missed speed shifts...GRIND! while you think you're getting an alignment
Old 1/8/14, 07:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by F-22
I did NOT say anything which could be construed as "Ford is bribing the NHTSA". That you think it did is an indication of your very limited language skills. Got it, Kyle?
No need for the sarcasm. And insults to other members will get you on vacation here so no need for that either.
Old 1/8/14, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by tom281
No need for the sarcasm. And insults to other members will get you on vacation here so no need for that either.
Just tryin' to keep it real.

As far as I'm concerned anybody here is welcome to say what's on their own mind.

I just don't want others attributing things to me that I did not say.
Old 1/8/14, 08:12 PM

Back on subject:

XL-18 additive made an immediate noticeable improvement. I added it a few days ago before the big freeze and drove it today at about 40 F. Better, not perfect.

It's expensive but you should try the magic juice. Make sure to shake it up as the fine print says. There's a lot of polymer-glop stuck in the bottom of the little bottle. I shook it up with some fresh fluid multiple times to get it all in the transmission.

Last edited by F-22; 1/8/14 at 08:16 PM.
Old 1/8/14, 08:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
I did NOT say anything which could be construed as "Ford is bribing the NHTSA".
That you think it did is an indication of your very limited language skills.

Ford provided a very detailed response to NHTSA, as is their right and their obligation. This obviously took some time and effort.

Ford also attempted to fix the problems through about a dozen running changes to the MT82 and clutch starting in 2011. Unfortunately the changes were insufficient to totally cure the shifting problems.

Got it, Kyle?
Yep. My apologies - I misinterpreted what you meant by "spent a lot of time and money". That is exactly what Ford did, so again, my apologies for misinterpreting.
Old 1/8/14, 08:47 PM

Yep. My apologies - I misinterpreted what you meant by "spent a lot of time and money". That is exactly what Ford did, so again, my apologies for misinterpreting.
No problem, Kyle. We're all facing the same issue here and need to stick together.

I highly recommend trying the XL-18 magic juice. It's part of factory fill in the MY 2014s.

While 40 F is not that cold in the great scheme I'm encouraged by the improvement. At 40 F, 2nd gear was pretty much un-useable until after 3 - 4 miles of warm-up. Now it goes in 2nd, still with some nibble, right out of my driveway.
Old 1/9/14, 07:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Back on subject:

XL-18 additive made an immediate noticeable improvement. I added it a few days ago before the big freeze and drove it today at about 40 F. Better, not perfect.

It's expensive but you should try the magic juice. Make sure to shake it up as the fine print says. There's a lot of polymer-glop stuck in the bottom of the little bottle. I shook it up with some fresh fluid multiple times to get it all in the transmission.
Don't you think if the stuff settles at the bottom of the bottle that it will do the same think in your tranny?
Old 1/15/14, 09:34 PM

It is hard to believe that NHTSA didn't test drive the MT-82s and found nothing wrong
with the transmissions. Customer complaints have been expressed since 2011 and Ford's
only recommendation was to address the trans viscosity. The rep at my dealership
actually suggested an MGW shifter which I ordered and it will be installed this week. I am
not happy to spend $600-$700 with the install but Ford has totally failed its customers!
Old 1/16/14, 11:15 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Fairlane5
It is hard to believe that NHTSA didn't test drive the MT-82s and found nothing wrong with the transmissions. Customer complaints have been expressed since 2011 and Ford's only recommendation was to address the trans viscosity. The rep at my dealership actually suggested an MGW shifter which I ordered and it will be installed this week. I am not happy to spend $600-$700 with the install but Ford has totally failed its customers!
If you are handy with tools. The install isn't bad. Did mine myself with the car on jack stands. I was lucky never had all the big issues with mine like some. But the MGW made a world of difference. We've had some single digits and negatives with wind chill lately and it shifted smooth as silk
Old 1/22/14, 09:18 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Fairlane5
It is hard to believe that NHTSA didn't test drive the MT-82s and found nothing wrong with the transmissions. Customer complaints have been expressed since 2011 and Ford's only recommendation was to address the trans viscosity. The rep at my dealership actually suggested an MGW shifter which I ordered and it will be installed this week. I am not happy to spend $600-$700 with the install but Ford has totally failed its customers!
If you’re experiencing a specific concern, I’m happy to get this escalated for you, Fairlane5. PM me if you’d like me to do so.

Deysha
Old 2/17/14, 05:54 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by FordService
If you’re experiencing a specific concern, I’m happy to get this escalated for you, Fairlane5. PM me if you’d like me to do so. Deysha
Hello Deysha,

Is there a TSB for the grinding of gears or replacement of the synchros? Lately, I've been getting locked out of gear. I had to make shift gears quickly to catchup to the traffic flow, but got locked out of and the car behind me almost rear ended me.

Thank you!
Old 2/17/14, 07:57 AM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Just a theory but has anyone checked their clutch fluid when it's cold? It is possible the fluid drops as temps drop and this is causing a pressure issue leading to not 100% disengagement.

When temps drop down here in my RSX 1st gear will be near impossible to get into. I just pump the clutch a few times to build pressure and it's fine.

That being said. A friend of mine just broke the record for 1/4 times on stock engine, clutch, AND MT-82. Check it out, it can't be that bad.....
Old 2/17/14, 11:54 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Spark
Hello Deysha,

Is there a TSB for the grinding of gears or replacement of the synchros? Lately, I've been getting locked out of gear. I had to make shift gears quickly to catchup to the traffic flow, but got locked out of and the car behind me almost rear ended me.

Thank you!
Hey Spark,

I’m not a technician or an engineer, and I don’t have a list of the TSBs for any vehicle. Your vehicle must be fully diagnosed and the concern duplicated in order for your Ford dealership to attempt any repairs on it. With the diagnosis, they can look up any TSBs, SMS, etc. that may apply to your vehicle.

I recommend you make an appointment with your Ford Dealer as soon as possible. You can schedule one online here. Then, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can escalate it for you if needed.

Deysha
Old 2/17/14, 06:57 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Spark
Hello Deysha, Is there a TSB for the grinding of gears or replacement of the synchros? Lately, I've been getting locked out of gear. I had to make shift gears quickly to catchup to the traffic flow, but got locked out of and the car behind me almost rear ended me. Thank you!
It's from that crappy shifter mechanism. I changed the shifter to MGW. Haven't gotten the 2-3 lock out since