Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

What aftermarkets parts can be used to NOT void the warranty??

Search this Thread

Old 3/14/12 | 06:14 AM
Bullitt Member

What aftermarkets parts can be used to NOT void the warranty??

it seems to me that almost nothing can be added aftermarket, or is there? or the warranty is not voided ONLY if installed by the dealer? can the dealer install a CAI and a tune? can they install GT500 mufflers on a GT or any other mufflers and not void the warranty?

id really love to get all the facts straight, as i asked my local dealer about using Oil Separator cans, and if that would void the warranty, he told me that it would be an indicator of racing and it might give me trouble with the warranty (even the these oil separators are to catch oil even during normal driving, due to engines high compression and 400+ hp)

does this mean i need to take off items like oil separator, CIA (without a tune) mufflers, etc before going in for each service?
Old 3/14/12 | 08:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

If you really want the scoop on warranties, do a search for the Magnuson Moss Act. What you find might surprise you.
Old 3/14/12 | 09:13 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by nickt916
it seems to me that almost nothing can be added aftermarket, or is there? or the warranty is not voided ONLY if installed by the dealer? can the dealer install a CAI and a tune? can they install GT500 mufflers on a GT or any other mufflers and not void the warranty?

id really love to get all the facts straight, as i asked my local dealer about using Oil Separator cans, and if that would void the warranty, he told me that it would be an indicator of racing and it might give me trouble with the warranty (even the these oil separators are to catch oil even during normal driving, due to engines high compression and 400+ hp)

does this mean i need to take off items like oil separator, CIA (without a tune) mufflers, etc before going in for each service?
Warranty voidance is such a controversial issue.

Basically, the run-down is that simply installing a part should not void your warranty, the problem comes when something goes wrong and you take it in to have the dealership fix the problem. The dealership is able to void your warranty if it sees that you have an aftermarket part related to the powertrain, according to the law (Magnuson Moss Warranty Act) they have to prove the part(s) caused the damage. However, even if they don't "prove" it, most people are not going to go through the fees and hassle of suing the dealership. Warranty voidances are not handled by Ford, they leave it up to the dealership to decide that. Ford only decides whether it will cover the repair costs of the dealership as due to a manufacturing fault. And obviously, if Ford will not pay for the repairs, then the dealership is likely to try and find a way out.

Steeda has a close relationship with Ford via their Technology Transfer Program, so most dealers are not going to give you any troubles over your Steeda parts.
Old 3/14/12 | 05:18 PM
Just Plain Rude!

They can't void your warranty for installing anything.

But having said that...If you have an aftermarket part installed that could, even remotely, be the cause of the problem, then they're probably not gonna cover it. It comes down to your relationship with the dealership, and how they feel about it. Each dealership will give you a different answer to this question.

If you get a tune and have an issue with a strut, they'll likely cover it.
If you get a tune and a piston flies through your hood, then good luck.
Old 3/14/12 | 06:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Just do want you want to your car and if you have a problem return it to stock before you take it in for service. On the other hand your car will be pretty bas azz in stock form and whoop most of the cars on the road, so leave it stock and enjoy it that way.
Old 3/14/12 | 09:50 PM
Bullitt Member

thanks for the scoop on things, but if i do a steeda CIA intake for example, then ill have to go with steeda tune, with an intake i can go back to stock if need be, but with the tune it can't be returned as it records how many times its be reset.

i never bought parts from dealer, but I'm assuming they sell some aftermarket parts like intakes and maybe even a tune? so if i buy from them, and they install, then they can't say anything about it ??

i guess I'm trying to cover my end and the more i talked to my dealership about it the more flags they will put on me for making me a potential "racer mis-shifter" lol
Old 3/14/12 | 10:22 PM
Just Plain Rude!

thanks for the scoop on things, but if i do a steeda CIA intake for example, then ill have to go with steeda tune, with an intake i can go back to stock if need be, but with the tune it can't be returned as it records how many times its be reset.

i never bought parts from dealer, but I'm assuming they sell some aftermarket parts like intakes and maybe even a tune? so if i buy from them, and they install, then they can't say anything about it ??

i guess I'm trying to cover my end and the more i talked to my dealership about it the more flags they will put on me for making me a potential "racer mis-shifter" lol
They likely sell any of the FRPP parts. Which does include a CAI and a tune. Although, that's still up to them whether or not they choose to honor your warranty if it causes problems. The fact that they think having an oil-separator makes you a "racer", makes them retarded. You just have to have a good relationship with the right dealership

But what it really all comes down to...Are you prepared to pay for a new engine, if you tune it and it fails?
Old 3/15/12 | 03:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
They likely sell any of the FRPP parts. Which does include a CAI and a tune. Although, that's still up to them whether or not they choose to honor your warranty if it causes problems. The fact that they think having an oil-separator makes you a "racer", makes them retarded. You just have to have a good relationship with the right dealership

But what it really all comes down to...Are you prepared to pay for a new engine, if you tune it and it fails?
no, but I'm ready to save up for a TKO600 or T56 I'm expecting TM82 problems sooner or later, and with my luck it will start being stupid after the 60k lol , i might as well find a T56 somewhere and put it aside... i do tend to drive the car exactly how FORD presented it to its customers in the commercials. I think i have a strong case if for some reason my dealer says i broke this or that because i was doing donuts or burnouts, ill say thats how i was shows to use it in the commercials and there is no fine print saying otherwise ??
Old 3/15/12 | 05:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

I think i have a strong case if for some reason my dealer says i broke this or that because i was doing donuts or burnouts, ill say thats how i was shows to use it in the commercials and there is no fine print saying otherwise ??
"Professional Driver on a Closed Course. Do Not Attempt."

Now consider this... I have a CDL license because I used to drive a truck. (Professional Driver!) When I do a track day or hit the drag strip, I'm on a Closed Course.

Does that mean I'm good for the warranty, since I AM doing exactly what they show in the commercials?

Last edited by Ronin38; 3/15/12 at 06:00 AM.
Old 3/15/12 | 09:29 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Aftermarket parts will not automatically void any of your warranties, nickt916. However, if they cause a concern, that specific repair will not be covered. You can refer to your Warranty Guide on page 13 for further info. I recommend you speak to your Ford dealer before installing any aftermarket parts on your vehicle.

Deysha
Old 3/15/12 | 10:19 AM
Just Plain Rude!

no, but I'm ready to save up for a TKO600 or T56 I'm expecting TM82 problems sooner or later, and with my luck it will start being stupid after the 60k lol , i might as well find a T56 somewhere and put it aside... i do tend to drive the car exactly how FORD presented it to its customers in the commercials. I think i have a strong case if for some reason my dealer says i broke this or that because i was doing donuts or burnouts, ill say thats how i was shows to use it in the commercials and there is no fine print saying otherwise ??
You'll have a very strong case, if they try to deny your warranty. But that's irrelevant, because you're not going to go through the trouble to sue them to get the repairs done.
Old 3/15/12 | 01:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
You'll have a very strong case, if they try to deny your warranty. But that's irrelevant, because you're not going to go through the trouble to sue them to get the repairs done.
if i win they pay attorney fees, plus small claims is usually enough to cover most repairs if need be, regardless, ill speak to my dealer and will do everything by the book to keep the warranty.
Old 3/16/12 | 09:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Instead of spending all the time and money on a transmission swap, why not extend your powertrain warranty? I paid $500 extra when I bought mine used to extend it to 7/100,000.
Old 3/19/12 | 04:21 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by kylerohde
Instead of spending all the time and money on a transmission swap, why not extend your powertrain warranty? I paid $500 extra when I bought mine used to extend it to 7/100,000.
because its not worth it for me, ill drive 8-10k miles a year