Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Vibration and brakes

Search this Thread

Old 2/19/15, 12:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vibration and brakes

A few months back in November, I swapped out my Track Pack wheels and Pirelli's for some 19x9.5's and Sumitomo's. In December I drove from FL up to TN, and the car obviously felt different...but there was something that didn't seem right. Oh, and when maintaining 75+mph for extended amounts of time, I get TPMS faults from my new sensors, but that's not my main concern here.

My first concern is the vibration, which seems like the most likely answer is wheel balancing, since the car was pretty smooth before the new shoes. It is most noticeable at higher speeds, 60+mph.

My second concern is my brakes. I have the Brembos up front, and I've started getting steering wheel vibration under medium to hard braking. I also have a VERY annoying squeek that I think is coming from my front left, noticeable at low speeds, and that disappears as soon as I apply even light pressure on the brakes. I have not lifted the car or pulled a wheel yet, but the rotors don't look scored when I'm peeking through my rims. The car is coming up on 15K miles on the stock pads, all street miles, with a few "spirited" runs along the way. Oh, and I bedded the pads within the first two weeks I bought her.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Talk amongst yourselves...

Last edited by JWhiskey; 2/19/15 at 12:43 AM.
Old 2/19/15, 05:17 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 843 Posts
Things that come to mind in descending order of probability: wheel balance, warped rotors, something loose in suspension (not very likely).

I see you are in Ft Walton Beach....I used to go TDY there when the AC-130H's were stationed at Hurburt Field. Nice area.
Old 2/23/15, 01:49 PM

I figured as much with your name and all. Ya, I'm an FE on MC's here.

On another note, I'm surprised no one else has chimed in...I guess there's really so many things it could be though, no need to repeat it over and over.
Old 2/23/15, 02:33 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
I don't remember what years it involved, but seems like I recall some people having vibration issues after replacing the stock wheels and some people came to the conclusion it had something to do with a thin shim that was on the studs behind the wheel and leaving them on was causing problems when changing to aftermarket wheels.

Not sure about the whole situation, but maybe someone else can chime in that remembers it.
Old 2/25/15, 11:52 PM

I went and got all 4 balanced today, the guy at the shop said they were way too counterbalanced. I think the vibration at speed is gone, but it was storming pretty good today, so it was hard to tell on the way home.

Background- The wheels and tires were purchased from AM, mounted, balanced, and filled with nitro.