Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

USB response problem with Voice Activation

Search this Thread

Old 9/2/12 | 02:40 PM
GT Member

USB response problem with Voice Activation

I am suddenly getting this message when attempting to use the voice activated command for the USB and asking it to play a specific artist by name -- "the requested media is currently unavailable on the media player." I have never encountered this response before and it will still respond to requests for track (song) names. Has something happened in my electronics package or my iPod?
Old 9/2/12 | 03:28 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by DrDisney
I am suddenly getting this message when attempting to use the voice activated command for the USB and asking it to play a specific artist by name -- "the requested media is currently unavailable on the media player." I have never encountered this response before and it will still respond to requests for track (song) names. Has something happened in my electronics package or my iPod?
I would try unhooking the battery for a few minutes and see if that's fixes it. Like all computers it needs to be reset sometimes
Old 9/2/12 | 04:47 PM
Bullitt Member

I have had this happen too. Just unplug your iPod and leave it out of the car overnight. Plug back in the next day, restart the car and wait about 5 mins before trying voice commands on the iPod. You should be fine. This has happened to me a few times. I am using an older iPod Video 30 gig model.
Old 9/2/12 | 05:07 PM
GT Member

Thanks to both of you. I will try that. Thanks!
Old 9/2/12 | 06:16 PM
GT Member

Had the same thing happen. Shut off my iPhone and turned it back on and it was fine. Haven't had many issues at all, but the few I've had we're all fixed with an iPhone reset.
Old 9/2/12 | 06:41 PM
V6 Member

happen to me also, just do the battary thing, it's more like a hard reboot
Old 9/3/12 | 05:23 AM
GT Member

I unplugged the iPod from the car last night and plugged it back in this morning, but it still doesn't work on the artist request.
Old 9/3/12 | 05:54 AM
V6 Member

you have to disconnect the battary.
Old 9/3/12 | 06:02 AM
GT Member

How do you disconnect the battery on an iPod?
Old 9/3/12 | 06:04 AM
V6 Member

you're disconnecting the - side of batt, under the hood.
Old 9/3/12 | 05:19 PM
GT Member

I have verified the problem is with the iPod not the electronics package. I hooked up a different iPod and the system worked fine. So the question is how do you reboot an iPod, if you can?
Old 9/3/12 | 05:23 PM
Banned

I have verified the problem is with the iPod not the electronics package. I hooked up a different iPod and the system worked fine. So the question is how do you reboot an iPod, if you can?
Turn it off and back on. Lol press and hold the power button if you didn't already know that.

Last edited by 11SHELBYGT500; 9/3/12 at 05:25 PM.
Old 9/3/12 | 05:41 PM
GT Member

Actually, turning the iPod on and off doesn't reboot. I just found out what does. You have to hold the on/off button and volume down button at the same time for 8 seconds. I did the reboot, but the problem continues. I guess the iPod has an problem that can't be fixed. At least I know it's the iPod and not the car.
Old 9/3/12 | 05:43 PM
V6 Member

No that's not a correct re-boot. to re-boot a ipod(depending on model) you either hold the on/off button off until the apple shows in window or if you have the older 8 gig, you have to hold the menu button and the circle scroll button down at the same time, this resets the unit. when the apple appears, it's been reset.

If that does not work, hook into itunes and refreash the unit. It will update and reload all music.
Old 9/3/12 | 05:47 PM
GT Member

The apple appeared when I did my version, so it must have rebooted. I will try the iTunes approach. Thanks.
Old 9/3/12 | 05:54 PM
Banned

The apple appeared when I did my version, so it must have rebooted. I will try the iTunes approach. Thanks.
What iPod are you sporting?
Old 9/3/12 | 06:35 PM
GT Member

Not sure, but it was bought new last December.
Old 9/4/12 | 12:05 PM
Ford In-Vehicle Technology Rep

Not sure, but it was bought new last December.
Hey, DrDisney!

I also recommend a soft reboot of your iPod. Here's a link to the Apple help page:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1320

It has instructions to perform a reboot based on which type of iPod you have.

Rebecca
Old 9/4/12 | 12:35 PM
GT Member

Thanks Rebecca! Is Jaclyn working today? I have been trying to get her since last Friday. Thanks.
Old 9/4/12 | 01:38 PM
Ford In-Vehicle Technology Rep

Thanks Rebecca! Is Jaclyn working today? I have been trying to get her since last Friday. Thanks.
You're very welcome! Jaclyn is working today, and replying to your private message now.

Rebecca

Quick Reply: USB response problem with Voice Activation